Is a Strong Math Foundation Better for Pursuing Theoretical Physics?

• Thread starter dh363
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the individual has always been interested in theoretical physics and math, but did not have much exposure in high school. They quit being competitive in math/physics after their friends excelled and decided to pursue a business degree. However, they have recently been inspired to go back into math and physics and are considering completing a double minor in math/physics. They are aware that their current education in math and science is lacking and are wondering if there are any programs or ways to catch up on the material. They are willing to work hard and potentially take extra courses to improve their knowledge and potentially apply to graduate programs. They are also considering the option of getting another bachelor's degree in math/physics, but are unsure if this is a feasible
dh363
Hey, so here's my story:
I've always been incredibly interested in theoretical physics and math. I was never really exposed to it as much as other kids in my high school, though, and so we had some ridiculously good math students. I quit being competitive in math/physics ever since a bunch of my buddies raped AIME's and qualified for USAMO and I didn't, thinking there was just too big of a talent gap. I still took AP physics and Calc and did well senior year.

I ended up going to business school, thinking that if I wasn't cut out for math/physics, I would just use my above average quant skills to make a lot of money in banking or something. I've chosen my major and everything. But recently, I've really been inspired to go back into math and physics. Taking all of these liberal arts and business classes really makes me miss solving difficult problems :(

I've been taking some math classes here for fun and I've been thinking of picking up a math/physics double minor, in which by graduation I'll have taken:

Multivariable, Linear Algebra, Linear ODEs, Abstract Algebra, and Fourier Analysis and PDEs,
Thinking about dropping out Abstract for Complex Variables.

In physics I'll only be able to get up to Relativity and Quantum physics (not that deep), mathematical and computational methods, Quantum Mechanics I, and Particle Physics.

I understand that both the math and science are lacking (especially the physics foundation). I'm not asking whether this is enough to get into a top grad school. I know it isn't. What I want to know is what can I do? Am I doomed to my business major or are there ways I can work hard and catch up on material? Any programs or anything? I'm willing to work as hard as it takes. Already taking the maximum allowed courseload per semester to catch up, graduating senior year with 2 semesters worth of extra credits.

Thank you guys so much!
A viable solution would change my life

Physics news on Phys.org
go an extra year and a half or two years and finish the math/phyiscs degrees. . . you won't miss out on anything with that extra time and will be much happier as a result if this is really what you want to do. . .

Highway said:
go an extra year and a half or two years and finish the math/phyiscs degrees. . . you won't miss out on anything with that extra time and will be much happier as a result if this is really what you want to do. . .

The thing is, my school isn't really known for being especially strong in math/physics :/
And I can't major across schools (business school majoring in arts and sciences majors). Are continuing education programs and things like that looked down upon in any way by grad schools? Would taking classes after graduating be a good idea? Would learn at stronger math/science programs and get to know faculty from programs I could potentially be applying to

dh363 said:
The thing is, my school isn't really known for being especially strong in math/physics :/
And I can't major across schools (business school majoring in arts and sciences majors). Are continuing education programs and things like that looked down upon in any way by grad schools? Would taking classes after graduating be a good idea? Would learn at stronger math/science programs and get to know faculty from programs I could potentially be applying to

what school do you go to? can you apply to change your major and then just start a math/physics degree? changing programs or pursuing another degree after graduation isn't looked down upon at all. . . just make sure you do well in your classes

Highway said:
what school do you go to? can you apply to change your major and then just start a math/physics degree? changing programs or pursuing another degree after graduation isn't looked down upon at all. . . just make sure you do well in your classes

I go to Georgetown's business school. So... yeah... thought I was just going to do business so went to the school that offered me the most financial aid. We have some good teachers here but as a business school student, I can't do a college of arts and sciences major, which is lame. Are there options after I graduate perhaps? I thought that most colleges don't really allow you to get another bachelors after you've gotten one. Should I just try to take non-degree classes while I work for a few years after college at some good universities?

You can get another BS degree after you finish, so that is no big deal. . . it kinda sucks that you will be spending that money / time for a degree you won't be using. . . but see if you can take some math/physics classes at all and do well, that will help when applying to another school after you finish.

If you even go to a state school, getting a degree in math/physics, if you do really well, and then do well on the gre, you should be able to get into a great graduate program -- assuming you have some research or ECs to go with it. . .

Hmm... I've been thinking. If I dropped my physics minor and replaced those classes with math classes, I can get the equivalent of a math major here. Do you think that having a very strong math foundation (my math dpt has much better profs than physics dept) is better than having a mediocre physics/math foundation? Especially since I mainly want to do theoretical physics? Was thinking i can slowly study some basic Physics over summers (don't want to forget everything) and try to get into a grad degree for applied math while taking some physics classes then try to make the jump to theoretical physics? I understand this would take a long time, but I don't exactly have a problem with staying in school for a long time :P I enjoy learning.

Related to Is a Strong Math Foundation Better for Pursuing Theoretical Physics?

What is a "Really quarter life crisis"?

A "Really quarter life crisis" refers to the feelings of uncertainty, confusion, and anxiety experienced by individuals in their mid to late twenties. This is often characterized by questioning one's career path, relationships, and overall purpose in life.

What are the common signs of a "Really quarter life crisis"?

Some common signs of a "Really quarter life crisis" include feeling lost or stuck in life, comparing oneself to others, experiencing a lack of fulfillment in work or relationships, and feeling pressure to have everything figured out.

Is a "Really quarter life crisis" a real phenomenon or just a buzzword?

While the term "Really quarter life crisis" may be a recent buzzword, the feelings and experiences associated with it are very real. Many young adults go through a period of uncertainty and self-doubt as they navigate the transition from adolescence to adulthood.

What can I do to cope with my "Really quarter life crisis"?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution to coping with a "Really quarter life crisis," but some strategies that may help include talking to a therapist or trusted friend, setting realistic goals, exploring new hobbies or interests, and practicing self-care and self-compassion.

Is a "Really quarter life crisis" a normal part of growing up?

Yes, experiencing a "Really quarter life crisis" is a normal part of growing up and figuring out one's identity and purpose in life. It is important to remember that this is a temporary phase and that it is okay to not have everything figured out at this stage in life.