Is a Math/CS Background Suitable for Graduate Studies in Photonics?

In summary: It is more important to have a good foundation. In summary, it would be doable for someone with a degree in mathematics/computer science to go into a photonics graduate program, but they would need to make sure they have a good understanding of physics and be able to take courses in electrical engineering that are geared towards photonics.
NetMage
Hello, I have a pretty quick question. So, I am studying mathematics/computer science, double major. However, I think I want to go to graduate school for photonics. With a degree in math/cs, will this be possible to apply into a graduate photonics program? I am also minoring in physics if that is any consolation.

Science news on Phys.org

I think that is doable. There is a lot of work to do in optics, electromagnetics and photonics involving computions. Mathematics and computer science would be a good base to get involved with signal processing or simulation side of things. You would want to make sure to beef up your physics. Make sure you try to take the undergraduate courses regarding photonics. Not just in the physics department but the electrical engineering department may have a class or two that would be worthwhile. In simulations, a lot of the work is based around programming and math. However, the programming is usually simple in structure and you need a good understanding of the physics to develop new algorithms and implement them properly.

Thank you so much! I have a really big interest in the development of photonic based software systems. Thats kind of what I want to start developing. If I have a few EE classes geared toward photonics that will help my resume? Also, I have never taken an EE class, so do you think I will have to take many EE classes before I am able to take a photonics related class?

I don't think you would have to take a lot of EE classes. If you are able to take the physics photonics courses then you are probably qualified for the EE classes. I only suggest the EE because while you may find similar courses between the EE and physics departments, they can often take differing approaches and emphasis on a subject. You just do not want to take a course that would have too much overlap. I am not familiar with the typical photonics courses that would be offered in the departments but I just wanted to throw it out there that the engineering department's offerings may deserve a look through.

But yes, I think they could help as they can help suppliment more practical skills in addition to the theory. For example, and I do not know fully what they would look for in photonics so I am just making this up, but signal processing may be useful in photonics when building systems. As a mathematician you would be well versed in the mathematics behind signal processing but in the EE department you may find signal processing courses. Some of them would be the theory and there may even be programming labs. Taking a programming lab would give you good experience with how to implement the theory.

It would probably be best for you to try to see what graduate research opportunites there are available. Which programs you would like to join and try to find out what kind of background would be good for these programs and then tailor your future courses around this. You say you are doing double majors and a minor so I am going to assume that your course program is already pretty much filled out so I wouldn't try to do too much extra. Probably best to get the basic background courses done. Your graduate group is going to have to teach you a lot anyway so I wouldn't worry if you didn't take some esoteric course.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I can tell you that a degree in mathematics and computer science is a great foundation for a graduate program in photonics. Photonics is a field that involves the manipulation and use of light for various applications, and having a strong background in math and computer science will be beneficial in understanding the complex theories and algorithms involved in photonics research.

Additionally, your minor in physics will also be helpful as it provides a solid understanding of the fundamental principles of light and its behavior. I would suggest that you research different graduate programs in photonics and see if they have any specific requirements or recommendations for applicants with your background. It may also be helpful to reach out to professors or current students in photonics programs to get their insights and advice.

Overall, I believe that with your current academic background, you have a strong chance of being accepted into a graduate program in photonics. I wish you the best of luck in your academic pursuits.

Related to Is a Math/CS Background Suitable for Graduate Studies in Photonics?

1. What is a graduate school for photonics?

A graduate school for photonics is an educational institution that offers advanced degrees in the field of photonics, which is the study of light and its applications. It typically includes courses in optics, lasers, fiber optics, and other related topics.

2. What are the requirements for admission to a graduate school for photonics?

The specific requirements for admission may vary depending on the individual school, but typically, applicants should have a bachelor's degree in a related field such as physics, engineering, or mathematics. Some schools may also require specific courses or a minimum GPA. It is also important to have a strong background in mathematics and science.

3. What can I expect to learn in a graduate school for photonics?

In a graduate school for photonics, students can expect to learn about the fundamentals of light, its properties, and its interactions with matter. They will also study various applications of photonics, such as in telecommunications, medicine, and energy. Courses may also cover topics like optical design, photonics materials, and advanced laser technology.

4. What career opportunities are available with a graduate degree in photonics?

A graduate degree in photonics can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including working in research and development for companies in the photonics industry, or in universities and research institutions. Graduates may also work in fields such as telecommunications, biotechnology, or defense. Some may also choose to pursue further education and work in academia.

5. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are important for success in a graduate school for photonics?

To be successful in a graduate school for photonics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, and the ability to work independently and in a team. It is also helpful to have a passion for technology and a curiosity for exploring the applications of light.