Is a Double Major Worth It for Physics Grad School and Job Applications?

In summary: If you are only planning on going to physics grad school, then you need to do whatever is needed to do well in physics. :smile: I believe doing poorly on the PGRE and not getting research experience will hurt you more than having a double major will help you.
PCSL
Hello, I recently decided that I will not complete my major in math despite only being two classes shorts so that I can focus more on the PGRE and research during those semesters. If I plan on going on to grad school will this decision hurt me in any way? Down the road will being able to say that I majored in PHY and MTH be of any advantage or will most employers just look at your grad degree? Thanks - I'd normally just suck it up and take the two classes but I feel as if Real Analysis and Modern Algebra would be two very time consuming classes, however I'm not close-minded to the option.

Physics news on Phys.org
PCSL said:
Hello, I recently decided that I will not complete my major in math despite only being two classes shorts so that I can focus more on the PGRE and research during those semesters. If I plan on going on to grad school will this decision hurt me in any way? Down the road will being able to say that I majored in PHY and MTH be of any advantage or will most employers just look at your grad degree? Thanks - I'd normally just suck it up and take the two classes but I feel as if Real Analysis and Modern Algebra would be two very time consuming classes, however I'm not close-minded to the option.

It is likely to hurt you should you decide to apply to mathematics graduate programs.

Dembadon said:
It is likely to hurt you should you decide to apply to mathematics graduate programs.

Haha, I would imagine so - I will be applying to physics graduate school. Should I take that as it will not effect me in my scenario?

PCSL said:
Haha, I would imagine so - I will be applying to physics graduate school. Should I take that as it will not effect me in my scenario?

Ah, I see. I wasn't sure whether you'd made the decision to only pursue physics graduate programs.

I'm not familiar with admissions requirements for physics graduate programs, but I'm not aware of a program that requires its applicants to have taken the mathematics courses mentioned in your post. Perhaps someone can provide a counter-example or two, if they exist.

Dembadon said:
Ah, I see. I wasn't sure whether you'd made the decision to only pursue physics graduate programs.

I'm not familiar with admissions requirements for physics graduate programs, but I'm not aware of a program that requires its applicants to have taken the mathematics courses mentioned in your post. Perhaps someone can provide a counter-example or two, if they exist.

Thanks for the replies. I know that those courses are not required for physics grad school. My question is that is it worth sucking it up and taking those two classes so that I can say on my transcript or during job applications that I was a double major in MTH and PHY. Not sure how important this is after you obtain a graduate degree.

What would you do with the time you would otherwise spend on completing both majors? You suggest some things in your OP but you don't really make clear what amount of influence you expect it to have (e.g. would you otherwise lack time for PGRE? Would you have something demonstrable from the research (i.e. letter of reference, possibly even a publication, ...), etc.)

Also, out of curiousity: one of the two math courses necessary for completing the major and that you still have to take is Real Analysis I? Isn't that kind of a "basic" course in a math major? You were able to take your other math courses without having Real Analysis I under your belt? (Modern Algebra sounds "basic" too, but I'm not too familiar with the term "Modern" in relation to Algebra, so perhaps I'm thinking of something else.)

PCSL said:
Thanks for the replies. I know that those courses are not required for physics grad school. My question is that is it worth sucking it up and taking those two classes so that I can say on my transcript or during job applications that I was a double major in MTH and PHY. Not sure how important this is after you obtain a graduate degree.

If you are only planning on going to physics grad school, then you need to do whatever is needed to do well in physics. :smile: I believe doing poorly on the PGRE and not getting research experience will hurt you more than having a double major will help you.

Related to Is a Double Major Worth It for Physics Grad School and Job Applications?

1. What is a double major on a transcript?

A double major on a transcript refers to a student completing two distinct academic majors within their undergraduate degree. This means that the student has fulfilled the requirements for two separate fields of study, which will be reflected on their transcript upon graduation.

2. Why would someone choose to pursue a double major?

There are several reasons why someone might choose to pursue a double major. Some students have a strong interest in multiple subjects and want to gain a deeper understanding of both. Others may choose to double major to increase their job prospects or to complement their primary major with a related field of study.

3. How does a double major affect a student's workload?

Pursuing a double major typically means taking on a heavier course load compared to a single major. This may require careful planning and time management to successfully complete all required courses. It is important for students to consult with their academic advisor to ensure they are able to balance their workload and maintain good academic standing.

4. What are the benefits of having a double major on a transcript?

Holding a double major can have various benefits, such as a broader knowledge base, increased job opportunities, and potential for higher salaries. It also shows employers and graduate schools that the student is dedicated, motivated, and capable of handling a challenging workload.

5. Can a double major be added after graduating?

In most cases, a double major cannot be added to a transcript after graduating. Double majors require students to complete specific courses within their undergraduate degree, and it is unlikely that a university would allow these requirements to be fulfilled after a student has already graduated.