Is a Double Major and Extra Year Worth It for Top Computer Science Grad Schools?

• Thread starter Rfederer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary, the individual is a first-time poster who is currently enrolled in a not-so-great undergraduate college as a computer science major. They are considering adding a double major in math and are wondering if the extra semester or year would be worth it. They have a GPA of 3.9+ and plan on studying hard for the GRE. They also plan on doing research with the computer science department. They are asking for opinions on their chances of getting into a top 50 graduate school and if a double major would look bad. The response is that an extra year does not look bad and it may even improve their chances, considering their strong GPA and research experience. Overall, they have a good chance of getting into a top 50
Rfederer
I am a first time poster, and have enjoyed reading this forums for awhile now. I am currently enrolled in a not so great undergraduate college as a computer science major. I was wondering if it would be worth the extra semester or year (so a total of 4.5-5.0) in order to get a double major with computer science and math. What do you think?

I really want to get into a top 50 computer science graduate school, and I have a GPA of 3.9+. I have not taken the GRE, but plan on studying hard and making a top grade on it. I am about to start doing research with the computer science department as well. I was really wondering what do you think my shot is of getting into a good school, and what is your opinion on a double major and does the extra year look bad?

Thank you for your help, and I realize I have not given that much information. I apologize.

Physics news on Phys.org
No an extra year does not look bad! In fact, it probably looks even better that you have a more solid foundation and that you can sustain a high GPA over the course of multiple years showing that you will likely be able to endure the length of graduate school. You have a great GPA and with research experience I'm pretty sure you could get into a top 50 school!

Good luck!

Related to Is a Double Major and Extra Year Worth It for Top Computer Science Grad Schools?

1. Would an extra year of schooling improve academic performance?

Many studies have shown that an extra year of schooling can have a positive impact on academic performance. This is because students have more time to master key concepts and build upon their knowledge. Furthermore, an extra year can also provide students with the opportunity to take more advanced courses and engage in extracurricular activities, both of which can contribute to overall academic success.

2. How does an extra year of schooling affect future job prospects?

An extra year of schooling can greatly improve future job prospects. Employers often value candidates who have taken the initiative to further their education and demonstrate a strong work ethic. Additionally, an extra year of schooling can provide individuals with the opportunity to gain valuable skills and knowledge that can be applied in the workforce.

3. Are there any downsides to taking an extra year of schooling?

Taking an extra year of schooling may come with some downsides, such as increased costs and delayed entry into the workforce. However, these potential drawbacks are often outweighed by the benefits of an extra year, such as improved academic performance and increased job prospects. It is important for individuals to carefully consider their personal circumstances and weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.

4. Is an extra year of schooling worth the investment?

The answer to this question depends on individual circumstances and goals. For some individuals, an extra year of schooling may greatly benefit their academic and career prospects, making it a worthwhile investment. However, others may find that the costs and time commitment of an extra year may not be worth the potential benefits. It is important for individuals to consider their own goals and priorities before deciding if an extra year of schooling is worth the investment for them.

5. Can an extra year of schooling be beneficial for career changers?

Yes, an extra year of schooling can be beneficial for individuals looking to change careers. This additional year can provide individuals with the opportunity to gain new skills and knowledge that may be necessary for the new career path. It can also help individuals make connections and gain experience in their desired field, making them more competitive in the job market. However, it is important for career changers to carefully consider their options and ensure that an extra year of schooling aligns with their future career goals.