Is 5 a Primitive Root in Matrix Calculations within F13?

In summary, a Fourier transform matrix is a mathematical tool used to analyze the frequency components of a signal or function. It is used to decompose a signal into its individual frequency components, and is the matrix representation of the Fourier transform. It is different from a Fourier series in that it can be used for continuous-time or continuous-space signals and provides a more accurate representation of frequency components. A Fourier transform matrix can be applied to any well-defined signal or function.
jmomo

Homework Statement

(i) Verify that 5 is a primitive 4th root of unity in F13.
(ii) Let F be the 4x4 matrix whose (i, j)th entry is 5ij in F13 for i, j = 0,1,2, 3.
Compute F(hat) and verify that F(hat)F= I.

Homework Equations

The matrix F(hat) is called the inverse discrete Fourier transform of F.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already solved part (i):
Since 52 = 15 = -1 (mod 13) and 54 = (-1)2 = 1 (mod 13), we conclude that 5 is a primitive 4th root of unity in F13.

But I do not know how to obtain matrix F for part (ii), but I understand that F(hat) is the inverse matrix of F, so if I can find matrix F then I can easily solve for matrix F(hat). If someone can please help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
jmomo said:

Homework Statement

(i) Verify that 5 is a primitive 4th root of unity in F13.
(ii) Let F be the 4x4 matrix whose (i, j)th entry is 5ij in F13 for i, j = 0,1,2, 3.
Compute F(hat) and verify that F(hat)F= I.

Homework Equations

The matrix F(hat) is called the inverse discrete Fourier transform of F.

For those of us not familiar with this area and your notation, you need to give us definitions.

1. What is ##F_{13}##? I'm guessing integers mod 13?

2. What does ##5_{ij}## mean?

3. What is the definition of ##\hat F##?

LCKurtz said:
For those of us not familiar with this area and your notation, you need to give us definitions.

Yes to your first question.

##F## is defined as the Discrete Fourier Transform, it looks like this:

http://gyazo.com/8d9c1acfec21ff3a180cc0b94d43e706

Notice the entries ##(ω)## are just the e'th root of primitive unity raised to powers.

Also ##\hat F## is defined as the Inverse Discrete Fourier Transform. It satisfies ##F^{-1} = \frac{1}{e} \hat F## where the entries in ##\hat F## happen to be the inverses of the entries in ##F##.

LCKurtz said:

1. F_13 is a field of 13 elements.

2. My apologies, I meant to write 5^(ij).

3. I already defined that above. The matrix F(hat) is called the inverse discrete Fourier transform of matrix F.

jmomo said:
1. F_13 is a field of 13 elements.

2. My apologies, I meant to write 5^(ij).

3. I already defined that above. The matrix F(hat) is called the inverse discrete Fourier transform of matrix F.

Start by writing down ##F##. It shouldn't be too difficult to find ##\hat F## afterwards.

Zondrina said:
Start by writing down ##F##. It shouldn't be too difficult to find ##\hat F## afterwards.

That was my original question stated above. I do not understand how to write down F and wanted to see if anyone knew how to come up with the matrix for F so then I can easily obtain F(hat).

jmomo said:
That was my original question stated above. I do not understand how to write down F and wanted to see if anyone knew how to come up with the matrix for F so then I can easily obtain F(hat).

I posted it in my post above, but here it is again:

http://gyazo.com/8d9c1acfec21ff3a180cc0b94d43e706

Now, the question wants you to compute each matrix entry, namely:

##(5^{i \space \times \space j}) \mod 13## for ##i, j = 0, 1, 2, 3##.

What do ##i## and ##j## equal for the first row, first column entry in your matrix?

Now how about the first row, second column entry? Second row, first column?

Etc. Notice ##5## is the 4th primitive root of unity.

Related to Is 5 a Primitive Root in Matrix Calculations within F13?

1. What is a Fourier transform matrix?

A Fourier transform matrix is a mathematical tool used to analyze the frequency components of a signal or function. It is a square matrix that represents the transformation from the time or spatial domain to the frequency domain.

2. How is a Fourier transform matrix used?

A Fourier transform matrix is used to decompose a signal or function into its individual frequency components. This can be helpful in analyzing the characteristics and patterns of a signal, as well as in filtering or manipulating the signal.

3. What is the relationship between a Fourier transform matrix and the Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform matrix is the matrix representation of the Fourier transform, which is a mathematical operation that converts a function from the time or spatial domain to the frequency domain. The matrix is used to perform the transformation computationally.

4. How is a Fourier transform matrix different from a Fourier series?

A Fourier transform matrix is used to analyze signals or functions in the continuous-time or continuous-space domains, while a Fourier series is used for discrete-time or discrete-space signals. Additionally, the Fourier transform matrix provides a more accurate representation of the signal's frequency components.

5. Can a Fourier transform matrix be applied to any type of signal or function?

Yes, a Fourier transform matrix can be applied to any signal or function, as long as it is well-defined and can be represented in the time or spatial domain. This includes signals and functions in engineering, physics, mathematics, and other fields.