Calculate indefinite integral using Fourier transform

In summary, using Plancherel's theorem and the Fourier transform, we can compute the integral ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{(x^2+2)^2}{(x^4+4)^2}dx## to be equal to ##\frac{3}{8\pi}##.
Incand

Homework Statement

Use the Fourier transform to compute
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{(x^2+2)^2}{(x^4+4)^2}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Plancherel Theorem
##||f||^2=\frac{1}{2\pi}||\hat f ||^2##
for all ##f \in L^2##.

We also have a table with the Fourier transform of some function, the ones of possible use may be
##(x^2+a^2)^{-1} \to (\pi/a)a^{-\xi^2/(2a)}##
and
##f(x)g(x) \to \frac{1}{2\pi} (\hat f * \hat g)(\xi )##

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure where to start here, every other similar exercise use Plancherel's theorem so I assume I should use that one here. The problem is then that I would need to computer the Fourier transform of
##\frac{x^2+2}{x^4+4}## which doesn't seem to easy at all. I tried writing this as
##\frac{x^2+2}{(x^2+2i)(x^2-i2)}## and somehow do partial fractions but doesn't seem to get me anywhere. Another similar approach that perhaps could work suggested by our professor was
##\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{(x^2+2)^2}{(x^4+4)^2} = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \left| \frac{(x^2+2)}{(x^2+2i)^2} \right|^2## but this doesn't seem to work either.
Any ideas on how to procede?

Edit: I should mention that it's possible to find the Fourier transform in some tables, although not the one in our book. If I use that one however I would need to proove it first.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do the integral without Fourier transform. Factorize the denominator: it is the product of (x-x1)(x-x2)(x-x3)(x-x4) where xk-s are the complex roots of x^4 = -4, xk=√2 e i(π/4+kπ/2). The products (x-x0)(x-x3) and (x-x12)(x-x2) are real so you write x^4+1 with two real factors. You can proceed with partial fractions then. It is lengthy, but solvable :)

Likes Incand
ehild said:
You can do the integral without Fourier transform. Factorize the denominator: it is the product of (x-x1)(x-x2)(x-x3)(x-x4) where xk-s are the complex roots of x^4 = -4, xk=√2 e i(π/4+kπ/2). The products (x-x0)(x-x3) and (x-x12)(x-x2) are real so you write x^4+1 with two real factors. You can proceed with partial fractions then. It is lengthy, but solvable :)
Yes I know I could use solve it that way, the problem is the exercise state I should use the Fourier transform in a course on Fourier analysis so I should make use of that somehow. But thanks for trying to help!
It's grouped together with 4 other question originally where the other 4 are really easy to solve with plancherel's theorem. I thought perhaps I should use partial fractions halfway and then the Fourier transform but doesn't seem to give me anything of use. Perhaps there is some mistake in the exercise not being easier with the Fourier transform. When I asked our professor about the question he couldn't come up with the solution either at the time.

##\frac{x^2+2}{x^4+4}=\frac{0.5}{(x+1)^2+1}+\frac{0.5}{(x-1)^2+1} ## You can find the Fourier transform of that form?

Likes Geofleur and Incand
ehild said:
##\frac{x^2+2}{x^4+4}=\frac{0.5}{(x+1)^2+1}+\frac{0.5}{(x-1)^2+1} ## You can find the Fourier transform of that form?
Thanks! This must be what I was supposed to be doing!

Posting the rest of the solution:
Using the formula above with the shift ##-1## and ##1## we get
F.T. ##0.5\left( \frac{1}{(x+1)^2+1}+\frac{1}{(x-1)^2+1}\right) \to 0.5\left(e^{i\xi }e^{-|\xi|}+e^{-i\xi}e^{-|xi|}\right)= e^{-|\xi|}\cos \xi##
Using Plancherel's theorem (and realising that both part of the functions is symmetric around zero)
##\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-2|\xi|}\cos^2 \xi d\xi = \frac{1}{4\pi} \int_0^\infty e^{-2\xi}\left(e^{-2i\xi}+e^{2i\xi} +2\right)d\xi =\\
\frac{1}{4\pi} \int_0^\infty \left(e^{(-2-2i)\xi}+e^{(-2+2i)\xi} +2e^{-2\xi}\right) = \frac{1}{4\pi} \left( \frac{1}{2(1+i)}+\frac{1}{2(1-i)}+1\right) = \frac{3}{8\pi}##.

Likes Geofleur

Related to Calculate indefinite integral using Fourier transform

1. What is a Fourier transform and how is it related to indefinite integration?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It is related to indefinite integration because the Fourier transform of a function is often used to find the indefinite integral of that function.

2. Can any function be integrated using Fourier transform?

No, not all functions can be integrated using Fourier transform. The function must have a Fourier transform that is also integrable in order for this method to work.

3. How is the Fourier transform used to calculate indefinite integrals?

The Fourier transform of a function is multiplied by a constant, then transformed back to its original form. This constant is chosen based on the specific function being integrated, and it helps to simplify the calculation of the indefinite integral.

4. What are the advantages of using Fourier transform for indefinite integration?

The main advantage of using Fourier transform for indefinite integration is that it can simplify complex integrals and make them easier to solve. It can also be more efficient for certain types of functions compared to traditional integration methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier transform for indefinite integration?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Fourier transform for indefinite integration. One limitation is that the function must have a Fourier transform that is also integrable. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for all types of functions and may not always provide an accurate result.