Is 3D reality merely an illusion?

• B
  • Thread starter Simple man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Reality
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a holographic universe and how it operates. The author explains that quantum bits of information exist on the surface of a cosmological horizon and interact in complex ways, resulting in the projection of a 3D reality from a 2D surface. The conversation then delves into questions about how information can behave like particles and what separates our universe from others. The conversation also touches on the idea of a simulated universe and the concept of time beyond the particle horizon. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the suggestion that the topic is too complex for a basic understanding and requires a higher level of knowledge in various fields of study.
Simple man
TL;DR Summary
As in the Holographic Universe, how does apparent 3D reality emerge from a 2D surface?
Hi, everyone!
I read an online article, some time ago, on the Holographic Universe, and how it might operate. According to the author, quantum bits, or"qubits"of information exist on the surface of a cosmological horizon. Complex interactions between these qubits result in them becoming entangled, disentangled, having wave function and superposition of states, to collapse of wave function and only one state. All of this quantum activity gives rise to perpetual indeterminacy and uncertainty among those bits. This activity then represents itself as a holographic projection of 3 dimensional reality, extruded from the 2D cosmological horizon.
My question is, how can information interact with itself, and behave like particles of matter? And if 3D reality bleeds from pre-encoded quantum bits of information, what did the initial encoding? And why does this pseudo reality seem so real?
Any feedback?

Space news on Phys.org
I think you are probably referring to the ADs/CFT type theories. This is only an idea, and it is usually formulated in more dimensions than 2 or 3. One of the more popular ones is a 5D bulk projecting onto a 4D surface.

Cheers

I've had similar thoughts,

We're told that most physicists believe in an infinite universe, this infinite universe is expanding however, as well as accelerating in its expansion.

I just can't get that to make any sense in my mind. What kind of medium are our universe expanding in? its hard to make sense of these things but I cross my fingers that someone could elaborate on this thought-wave.

IF the boundary of a conformally-compactified anti-de sitter space is itself a conformally-compactified minkowski space with one fewer dimension. Could that be what separates our universe from what ever else there is. outside reality is space without time? or at least with one fewer dimension of some sort.

I know I'm probably lost in faulty-thoughts here but if you think of a simulated universe the same way. What separates that universe from outside its boundary? What it is projected on, and in a sense "expanding in" are itself a conformally-compactified minkowski space with one fewer dimension, right? And outside its boundary time is not applicable? at least not what translates into time for that universe.

trying to understand this makes my brain loop, what does this mean? how do we even know there is anything past the particle horizon? How do we know that time is moving faster than light?

Simple man said:
I read an online article

This is not a valid reference. PF discussions, particularly of a highly speculative model like this, should be based on actual published literature--peer-reviewed papers.

Also, for this topic, it will be basically impossible to discuss it meaningfully at the "B" level; you will be hard pressed to find any peer-reviewed paper on the topic that can be understood without an "A" level (graduate level) background in relativity, quantum field theory, and cosmology.

Thread closed.

Related to Is 3D reality merely an illusion?

1. What is the concept of 3D reality being an illusion?

The concept of 3D reality being an illusion suggests that what we perceive as our physical reality is actually a projection of our consciousness. It proposes that the world we experience is not objective reality, but rather a subjective interpretation of it.

2. How is this idea supported by scientific evidence?

There are several scientific theories and experiments that support the idea of 3D reality being an illusion. For example, quantum physics suggests that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, and it is our observation that determines their state. This implies that our perception is shaping reality rather than the other way around.

3. Can we prove that 3D reality is an illusion?

At this point, it is not possible to definitively prove or disprove the concept of 3D reality being an illusion. It is a philosophical and theoretical idea that is still being explored and debated by scientists and philosophers. However, there is mounting evidence and research that supports this concept.

4. What are the implications of 3D reality being an illusion?

If 3D reality is indeed an illusion, it would challenge our understanding of the world and our place in it. It would also have significant implications for fields such as neuroscience, psychology, and even spirituality. It could also lead to a deeper understanding of consciousness and the nature of reality.

5. How does this concept relate to the idea of a simulated reality?

The concept of 3D reality being an illusion is often linked to the idea of a simulated reality, where our entire existence is a computer-generated simulation. While they are related, they are not the same. The idea of 3D reality being an illusion suggests that our perception of reality is not an accurate representation of objective reality, while a simulated reality proposes that our entire existence is a constructed simulation.