Irreducible polynomials over the reals

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the only irreducible polynomials over the reals are linear or quadratic ones with no real roots. The fundamental theorem of algebra is mentioned, as well as the fact that complex conjugates are also solutions of a polynomial. It is then shown that any polynomial can be written as a product of linear and quadratic terms, leading to the conclusion that only linear and quadratic polynomials can be irreducible over the reals.
R.P.F.

Homework Statement

How to prove that the only irreducible polys over the reals are the linear ones and the quadratic ones no real roots?

What about the ones with higher degree? I feel that I'm missing something that's really obvious.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't immediately say that it's obvious, but it's certainly something that you can prove:

Let P(X) be a real polynomial. The fundamental theorem of algebra states that there exists complex number a1,...an such that P(X)=(X-a1)...(X-an). Thus we have factorized the polynomial P over the field C. However, we must factorize it over R.

For this: notice the following fact (try to prove this!): if z is a complex solution of P(X) (thus is P(z)=0), then the complex conjugate [tex]\overline{z}[/tex] is a solution of P(X).

Thus, in our factorization P(X)=(X-a1)...(X-an), if ai is non-real, then one of the a1,...,an must be [tex]\overline{a_i}[/tex]. And if we multiply [tex](X-a_i)(X-\overline{a_i})[/tex], then we get a REAL quadratic polynomial!
Thus P(X) can always be written as a product of linear terms and quadratic terms. This implies that the only possible irreducible polynomials are linear or quadratic.

micromass said:
I wouldn't immediately say that it's obvious, but it's certainly something that you can prove:

Let P(X) be a real polynomial. The fundamental theorem of algebra states that there exists complex number a1,...an such that P(X)=(X-a1)...(X-an). Thus we have factorized the polynomial P over the field C. However, we must factorize it over R.

For this: notice the following fact (try to prove this!): if z is a complex solution of P(X) (thus is P(z)=0), then the complex conjugate [tex]\overline{z}[/tex] is a solution of P(X).

Thus, in our factorization P(X)=(X-a1)...(X-an), if ai is non-real, then one of the a1,...,an must be [tex]\overline{a_i}[/tex]. And if we multiply [tex](X-a_i)(X-\overline{a_i})[/tex], then we get a REAL quadratic polynomial!
Thus P(X) can always be written as a product of linear terms and quadratic terms. This implies that the only possible irreducible polynomials are linear or quadratic.

:) The proof is so cute. Thanks a lot for helping!

Related to Irreducible polynomials over the reals

1. What is an irreducible polynomial over the reals?

An irreducible polynomial over the reals is a polynomial that cannot be factored into linear or quadratic polynomials with real coefficients. In other words, it cannot be broken down any further into simpler polynomials.

2. How can I determine if a polynomial is irreducible over the reals?

There is no simple formula or algorithm to determine if a polynomial is irreducible over the reals. However, there are some methods that can be used, such as the rational root theorem, the Eisenstein criterion, or using a computer algebra system.

3. Can a polynomial be irreducible over the reals but reducible over other fields?

Yes, a polynomial can be irreducible over the reals but reducible over other fields. For example, the polynomial x2+1 is irreducible over the reals, but it can be factored into (x+i)(x-i) over the complex numbers.

4. What is the significance of irreducible polynomials over the reals?

Irreducible polynomials over the reals are important in fields such as algebra, number theory, and cryptography. They also have applications in engineering and physics, particularly in control theory and signal processing.

5. Can irreducible polynomials over the reals have complex roots?

Yes, an irreducible polynomial over the reals can have complex roots. This is because complex numbers are an extension of the real numbers and can be used to factor polynomials over the reals. In fact, all irreducible polynomials with degree greater than 1 have complex roots.