Irreducibility and finite fields

In summary, the conversation is about attempting to solve parts i) and iii) of a past exam paper. For part i), the speaker suggests trying to show that the polynomial g(X) has no roots in the finite field k by plugging in 0 and 1. For part iii), the speaker mentions the concept of separability and suggests that K may equal k(rt(T)), leading to the conclusion that the minimal polynomial of K is inseparable. However, another speaker points out that k should actually be {0, 1, T, 1+T} and agrees with the previous conclusion.
Firepanda
33cou48.jpg

Trying to do i) and iii) on this past exam paper

For part i) I'm pretty stumped

I've said that the possible roots of the polynomial are +- all the factors of T

In particular rt(T) needs to be a factor of T but this can't be possible?

Doesn't sound too good but its the best I've got.

Part iii) I know this means that every element in K is seperable over k, i.e that the minimal polynomials of elements in K are seperable, where they have no repeated roots.

Not sure how to apply this though..

Maybe K = k(rt(T))

so the minimal polynomial of K is X^2 - T which has repeated root rt(T) so it is inseperable?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For part i:

[STRIKE]Because this is a finite field, you must show that the polynomial g(X) has no roots in k. Because k is a finite field of 2 elements, you can just try plugging in 0 and 1 because k = {0,1}.

So g(X) is irreducible if and only if 0^2-T is not equal to zero and 1^2-T is not equal to zero. Since T is an extended element onto k and is therefore not equal to either 0 or 1, which is what we need to make the above two equations equal to zero, I think that we can safely draw our conclusion. What do you think?[/STRIKE]

edit: I'm dumb. i'll rethink this.

micaele said:
For part i:

Because this is a finite field, you must show that the polynomial g(X) has no roots in k. Because k is a finite field of 2 elements, you can just try plugging in 0 and 1 because k = {0,1}.

So g(X) is irreducible if and only if 0^2-T is not equal to zero and 1^2-T is not equal to zero. Since T is an extended element onto k, I think we can safely draw our conclusion. What do you think?

isn't k = {0, 1, T, 1+T} since k = {a + bT | a, b in {0,1}}

Otherwise I see what you mean. Thanks for the reply

yeah you're completely right and i noticed my mistake right after i posted that. i overlooked the whole extended element thing. my bad.

bump for confirmation

Related to Irreducibility and finite fields

1. What is the concept of irreducibility in finite fields?

Irreducibility in finite fields refers to the property of a polynomial that cannot be factored into smaller polynomials. In other words, an irreducible polynomial cannot be broken down into simpler, smaller polynomials in the same field. This concept is important in finite fields because it allows for unique representation of elements and efficient computation.

2. How do you determine if a polynomial is irreducible in a finite field?

To determine if a polynomial is irreducible in a finite field, we can use the polynomial division algorithm. If the polynomial cannot be divided by any smaller polynomial in the same field, it is irreducible. Another way is to check if the polynomial has any roots in the finite field. If it does not have any roots, it is irreducible.

3. What is the relationship between irreducible polynomials and prime fields?

In prime fields, every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse. Similarly, every non-zero element in a finite field can be represented as a power of a primitive element. This means that the irreducible polynomials in a finite field correspond to the prime elements in the field. In other words, the degree of an irreducible polynomial is equal to the order of the prime element it represents.

4. Can a polynomial be irreducible in one finite field and reducible in another?

Yes, a polynomial can be irreducible in one finite field and reducible in another. The irreducible polynomials in a finite field are unique to that field, and a polynomial that is irreducible in one field may have factors in another field. This is because the structure and properties of finite fields differ based on their characteristic and order.

5. How is the concept of irreducibility used in cryptography?

In cryptography, irreducible polynomials are used in the construction of finite fields and in the implementation of cryptographic algorithms. The properties of irreducible polynomials, such as unique representation and efficient computation, make them useful in cryptographic applications such as error-correcting codes, public key encryption, and digital signature schemes.