Counting elements of a field and more

In summary, the question is asking how many elements are in the field K=Z_2[X]/<x^3+x+1>, and then the conversation continues with an attempt at a solution using the substitution x^3 = x + 1 mod 2. The reasoning suggests an upper bound of 8 elements, but it is not clear if all possibilities will actually occur. The suggestion to decompose x^3+x+1 is mentioned.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Consider the field K=Z_2[X]/<x^3+x+1>. How many elements does this field have?

Then let f(x) = x^3+x+1 and b be a root of f(x) in Z_2[X], Find all other roots of f(x) in K and describe the Galois group

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm trying to understand what K looks like, perhaps something like this:
K={ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d | a,b,c,d are elements of Z_2 and x^3+x+1 = 0}

Then is it possible that since x^3 = x + 1 mod 2 that I could make this substitution in the description of the field? i.e.:
K={a(x+1) + bx^2 + cx + d | a,b,c,d are elements of Z_2 and x^3+x+1 = 0}
={ax+a + bx^2 + cx + d | a,b,c,d are elements of Z_2 and x^3+x+1 = 0}
= {bx^2 + (c+a)x + (d+a) | a,b,c,d are elements of Z_2 and x^3+x+1 = 0}
={bx^2 + ex + f | a,b,c,d are elements of Z_2 and x^3+x+1 = 0}

So there would be 8 elements maybe? Is this logic correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this gives you an upper bound for the number of elements in ##\mathbb{Z}_2[x] / (x^3+x+1)## as the reasoning:
"Since ##x^3## can be expressed by lower powers of ##x##, we will at most get polynomials of degree ##2## and thus ##8## possible coefficient arrays."
would do. But it's not quite obvious (to me), whether all possibilities will actually occur, i.e. no double counting took place. (My guess is it is so, but I don't see it yet.)

Have you tried to decompose ##x^3+x+1\,##?

Related to Counting elements of a field and more

1. What is the importance of counting elements in a field?

Counting elements in a field is crucial in many scientific fields, such as mathematics and chemistry. It allows us to understand the size and complexity of a system, make predictions, and identify patterns and trends.

2. How do you count elements in a field?

The method of counting elements in a field may vary depending on the specific field and the complexity of the system. In mathematics, for example, we can use basic counting principles or more advanced techniques such as combinatorics or graph theory. In chemistry, we may use laboratory techniques such as titration or spectrophotometry.

3. What are some common challenges when counting elements in a field?

One of the main challenges when counting elements in a field is ensuring accuracy and avoiding counting errors. This can be particularly difficult in large and complex systems, where it may be easy to overlook or double-count elements. Another challenge is determining the appropriate unit of measurement for counting, as this can vary depending on the context.

4. Can counting elements in a field help us make predictions?

Yes, counting elements in a field can often help us make predictions about the behavior or characteristics of a system. For example, in biology, counting the number of individuals in a population can help us predict future population growth. In physics, counting the number of particles in a system can help us make predictions about its physical properties.

5. How does counting elements in a field relate to other scientific concepts?

Counting elements in a field is closely related to other scientific concepts such as classification, organization, and measurement. Counting also plays a significant role in data analysis and statistical analysis, as it allows us to make sense of large and complex data sets. Additionally, counting elements is often a fundamental step in scientific research and experimentation, as it helps us understand and manipulate the systems we are studying.