IQ of a Physicist and Other Related Fields

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of IQs and their correlation with being a physicist. The individual conducting a survey wanted to know if a higher than average IQ was necessary to become a physicist or study physics. It was also mentioned that IQ scores may not accurately measure intelligence and that there are multiple standards for IQ tests. The conversation also touched on the idea of trying to raise one's IQ and the belief that it is not possible. It was pointed out that a person's IQ can change with age and education level. However, it was agreed that an IQ score is not a universal measure of intelligence.
Only Idiots give a **** about IQ

Physics news on Phys.org
AUMathTutor said:
I believe I remember from Psychology 101 that language skills correlate most strongly with IQ. Next come quantitative skills, and then spatial.

Maybe because those are some of the things IQ tests are designed to measure? I would hope the things the test measures correlate to test scores. :smile:

I had to do a few psychological tests in primary school and later in high school. These are not exactly the same as IQ tests in that they give you some number for your IQ, rather they are meant to help you with your future school/university choice.

But for me the test results did not help at all. According to the tests in primary school, I was not suitable for higher education. I lacked in mathematical thinking ability, I could not do any techical subjects etc. etc. The teacher at primary school could not believe my results, so he arranged a meeting with a psychologist with me and I did the test orally with the psychologist.

The conclusion was that I could probably do ok. in high school because I was far ahead in many subjects, but that I had severe weaknesses in the areas that the test measure, like pattern recognition etc.

Later tests confirmed this. And I have done a few of these online IQ test some time ago in which I typically scored just 80 or so. The only thing I can do well are the number pattern recognition tests.

But despite this, I did well in school and university. I think that the reason is that you don't have to use any of the skills they test for in psychological test. E.g., I remember doing a 3d geometry exam in high school where I simply wrote down systems of equations and solved them using Gaussian elimination. Of course, we were not supposed to solve the problem that way, but the teacher did not mind.

Ultimately what matters physics and math is if you can formalize a problem and solve it mathematicaly. I think I excell at that, but none of the psychological tests measure this ability. The pattern recognition test are only relevant if you depend on intuition to learn math and physics.

bp_psy said:
First off. My IQ is 271. 83 which kind of permits me to tie my shoelaces but certainly does not allow me to do fast complicated arithmetic . Second there is really no more efficient way than performing a survey on the internet. As you know there are no such things as self selecting samples or peole who lie on the net. I commend for your choice in survey subject you are certainly a very intelligent fellow.

Gee, that sounds quite high, but you sound modest. Let's calculate the percentile. The standard Weschsler IQ test has mean 100 and standard deviation of 15. Therefore, the cumulative probability of having an IQ of 271.83 or greater is

[tex]1 - normalcdf(\frac{271.83 - 100}{15}) = 1.136 \times 10^{-30} [/tex]

Wow, that's amazing! That means out of a random sampling of 1 nonillion people, you'd be the smartest one! In other words, 1 billion cubed times 1 thousand. Wait..I don't even think there are that many atoms in the solar system! You certainly are a smart guy! Oh well, at least you are humble about it

j93 said:
Why do half of your post revolve around proving ones intelligence. You shouldn't based your life on how intelligent others perceive you.

Maybe I am tattling, but I just want to point out that the OP is only 13 years old (mentioned in an older post).

There are 3 kinds of people.

1. People who get no-so-impressive scores in IQ tests.
2. People who get high score and brag about that.
3. People who get high score, feel good about it, but do not brag about it.

I'm more of 1 and 3 (based on the test results), and definitely not 2.

Let's say you need to adopt a child and go to an orphanage. They present you 2 kids with exact same background and looks, but only with one difference - one child has an IQ 100 and the other one has an IQ of 150. Who would you choose? Definitely, I would not be tossing a coin to decide.

bp_psy said:
First off. My IQ is 271. 83

There are many categories. I hope you clicked the right one.

Wechsler Pre-school and Primary Scale of Intelligence (WPPSI) - 3-7 years
Wechsler Intelligence scale for Children (WISC) - 7-16 years
Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS) - 16 years and over

There are a few recurring topics that bring the bile to the surface here at PF. IQ is one of those topics. I wonder why some people get so aggressive about their disinterest in IQ scores?

For the OP, Richard Feynman was a Nobel-winning physicist who exemplified that particular kind of genius that makes a true physicist. His IQ was measured at 126. His sister scored 127, and so he would often say that she was "smarter than him." Her scientific achievements were pretty good in her own right, but paled in comparison to his.

I was tested when I was 10, and again at 13, and I'll just say my "score" was significantly higher than Feyman's. There is no question, however, that he was far more insightful, productive, smart, brilliant, [insert superlative here], and successful as a physicist than I could ever have hoped to be.

My general belief is that IQ tests, even the "real" ones like the Stanford-Binet test, do not test for success as a physicist, and have no correlation to likelihood of winning a Nobel prize, or anything else. I think that you will find that Physicists in general (those with a physics degree) are above-average in intelligence, and you would find an average IQ around 120. But as it has been said, so many times, the "score" ultimately means jack squat.