IPad 1 pasting into PF issue

• Thread starter cobalt124
  • Start date
In summary, the iPad 1 has a known issue with pasting into Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, where the copied text may not appear in the desired location. This problem can be resolved by using the "Paste and Match Style" option or by upgrading to a newer version of the iPad. Additionally, some users have reported success with resetting the iPad's settings or restarting the device. Overall, while this issue may be frustrating, there are several workarounds available to ensure smooth copying and pasting on the iPad 1.
cobalt124
Hi, on my iPad 1 I cannot paste into PF from Notes. not sure whether the issue is with iPad/Safari or whether it is too old for PF to cope with, or something else. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I paste to PF OK on my iPad 2. But I don't use notes.

Edit: have you tried pasting from another source like a web page?

Cannot paste to PF from a web page.

Ah, no through Safari.

cobalt124 said:
Cannot paste to PF from a web page.

I just retested it now. It works for me on my ipad 2.

When you say paste, are you trying to paste to the body of a new post? Where exactly are you pasting to?
When you hold your finger does the little PASTE popup appear? Then you click on that to paste, correct?
Does the cursor move when you paste?
Can you copy paste to other things in Safari, such as the address bar at the top, or a text box on a form?

I'm pasting into the Post Reply box. The Paste pop up appears, I click it and nothing happens, the cursor does not move. The Safari address bar does not paste, an Outlook login text box will not paste, I can copy text out of the Post Reply box and paste it elsewhere.

I'm going to try download the app once I've sorted out my AppleID, see if that makes a difference.

cobalt124 said:
I'm pasting into the Post Reply box. The Paste pop up appears, I click it and nothing happens, the cursor does not move. The Safari address bar does not paste, an Outlook login text box will not paste, I can copy text out of the Post Reply box and paste it elsewhere.

When my Ipad behaves like that, it means that I didn't copy anything and that the clipboard is empty. Your problem is not in the apps where you're trying to paste, but in notes where your trying to copy.

Thanks, I'll test it again. I have managed to download the PF App, but not the latest version as the iPad won't take it. I can't get it to work, it just closes down when I try to use it. I'll have a look see if there are any issues on the iPad itself that is causing this.

How does your iPad-1 work otherwise? I stopped using mine a year ago because nothing I wanted to use it for worked well (if at all) anymore. Apple supported the device for only 2 1/2 years; the last OS upgrade was in 2012.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad
I paid a lot of money for mine in 2011, I won't be making that mistake again.

Likes Tom.G
gmax137 said:
How does your iPad-1 work otherwise?...

Yes, I may have to just give up on it and get a newer device. It's OK (not great) for browsing PF in Safari, maths symbols are not rendered in Wikipedia which is annoying, newer websites won't render, it's been lying around idle for years I just started using it for browsing PF.

Related to IPad 1 pasting into PF issue

What is the issue with pasting on iPad 1 into PF?

The issue with pasting on iPad 1 into PF is that the device does not support the necessary technology for full compatibility with the platform.

Why does this issue occur specifically on iPad 1?

This issue occurs specifically on iPad 1 because it is an older device that may not have the updated software or hardware capabilities required for seamless pasting on PF.

Is there a way to fix this issue?

Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed way to fix this issue on iPad 1. However, some users have reported success by updating the device's software or using a different browser.

Can I still use iPad 1 for other functions on PF?

Yes, you can still use iPad 1 for other functions on PF such as viewing and editing documents. The pasting issue only affects certain features of the platform.

Will this issue be resolved in future updates?

There is no way to know for sure if this issue will be resolved in future updates. However, it is always recommended to keep your device and software up to date for the best performance on any platform.