A buffer problem, I need serious help

• Thread starter afcwestwarrior
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buffer
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of maintaining a relatively constant pH of blood due to its role in proper cell function and potential risks of death if pH falls below 6.8 or rises above 8.0. It also mentions the different buffer systems in blood and how excess CO2 is expelled by the lungs to maintain a constant concentration. The conversation then shifts to calculations of Keq and pK values, as well as determining the concentration of H+ and CO2 (aq) in blood at a pH of 7.4. Finally, it asks for help in calculating the amount of H+ needed to decrease the blood pH to 6.8.
afcwestwarrior
A buffer problem, I need serious help!

3. Blood has a normal pH of 7.35-7.45 and contains two major buffer systems. It is important that the pH of blood remains relatively constant because at pH below 6.8 or greater than 8.0, cells cannot function properly and death may result. The HCO3-/CO2 (aq) blood buffer in vivo is an open system in which the concentration of dissolved CO2 is maintained constant. Any excess CO2 produced by the reaction H+ + HCO3- ---> H2O + CO2 is expelled by the lungs. Note that a typical laboratory buffer is a closed system. The concentration of conjugate acid increases when H+ reacts with the conjugate base.
You calculated the Keq and pK of Reaction (4) from the following reactions and K values in lecture.
CO2 (g) <==> CO2 (aq) K1 = 3 x 10-5 at 37oC.
CO2 (aq) + H2O (l) <==> H2CO3 (aq) K2 = 5 x 10-3 at 37oC
H2CO3 (aq) <==> H+ (aq) + HCO3- (aq) pKa = 3.8 at 37oC
CO2 (aq) + H2O (l) <==> H+ (aq) + HCO3- (aq) K4 = ?
You calculated the [HCO3-] = 0.024 M in blood at pH 7.4. Calculate the [CO2 (aq)] in blood at this pH.
0.01 M H+ is added to blood. You calculated the pH of blood under conditions such that the increased [CO2 (aq)] can be released as CO2 (g). In other words, assume that the blood buffer is an open system. Remember that the [CO2 (aq)] remains constant in this open buffer system.

a. Cells cannot function property if the pH of blood falls below 6.8 or rises above 8.0. Calculate the amount in M of H+ that is added to blood for the blood pH to fall to 6.8.

here's what i did i took the PH of 6.8 and i took the antilog which is 10^-6.8
which equals 1.58*10^-7 M which equals the concentration of H+, but I am not sure if I am right.

Physics news on Phys.org
wheres the help, u didnt even say whether i was right or wrong

I am happy to see that you are attempting to solve this buffer problem. It is important to understand the concept of buffers and their role in maintaining the pH of blood within a narrow range. Your approach to calculating the amount of H+ added to blood is correct. To confirm your answer, you can also use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log ([A-]/[HA]). In this case, [A-] is HCO3- and [HA] is H2CO3. Plugging in the values, we get pH = 3.8 + log (0.024/0.024) = 3.8 + 0 = 3.8, which is the same as the pH at which cells cannot function properly.

In terms of the buffer system being an open system, it means that the concentration of dissolved CO2 remains constant and any excess CO2 produced is expelled by the lungs. This is important for maintaining the pH of blood, as excess CO2 can lead to a decrease in pH and affect cell function.

For the second part of the problem, you correctly calculated the [CO2 (aq)] in blood at pH 7.4. This concentration is important for maintaining the equilibrium between CO2 (aq) and H2CO3 (aq).

Overall, it is crucial to understand buffer systems and how they function in maintaining the pH of blood. Keep practicing and solving problems to strengthen your understanding.

Related to A buffer problem, I need serious help

What is a buffer solution?

A buffer solution is a solution that helps maintain a constant pH level, even when small amounts of acid or base are added. It is made up of a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid.

Why do I need a buffer solution?

Buffer solutions are often used in scientific experiments and procedures to maintain a stable environment. They are also used in many industries, such as pharmaceuticals and food production, to ensure consistent and accurate results.

How do I prepare a buffer solution?

To prepare a buffer solution, you will need to mix a weak acid or base with its conjugate base or acid. The specific concentrations and volumes will depend on the desired pH level and the strength of the buffer components. It is important to carefully follow a recipe or use a buffer calculator to ensure accurate results.

What happens if I add too much acid or base to a buffer solution?

If you add too much acid or base to a buffer solution, the pH will start to change and the buffer may no longer be effective. This is because the added acid or base will react with the buffer components, causing a shift in the equilibrium and changing the pH. It is important to regularly monitor and adjust the buffer solution to maintain its effectiveness.

Can I reuse a buffer solution?

Yes, buffer solutions can often be reused multiple times as long as they are stored properly. It is important to store them in a clean and airtight container to prevent contamination. However, over time the buffer components may degrade and the solution may need to be replaced.