Investigating the Potential of Nuclear Fusion

In summary: But I imagine you understand it, no? The Wright brothers spent a LOT of their life after their invention in patent court defending their invention from copycats and rival claimants; if I was an inventor, I too would be paranoid about the legal defense of my invention. It might seem selfish, but inventions rarely make their inventors rich, so he might be obsessively trying to make sure that his effort is...well...not in vain.
Phrak said:
Where do you get this notion? Was it the 6 o'clock news with Connie Chung?

Phrak said:
The evidence as I find it, gleaned from comments in the media

Hypocrite, thy name is you.

You attack ryan for stating scientific theory as support of his argument, asking if it comes from the "6 o'clock news" and yet you sit here admitting your own evidence to support it is possible comes from the media.

Everything Rossi has done ticks off the 'crackpot checklist' nicely. Just to run off the two main points:
1) He maintains a secret 'factor' to prevent copying or proving his results.
2) A company has been setup in Greece specifically to market this product without providing any proof it works.

As previously, let's just wait until his machine is up and running in October before we blindly accept him and rewrite science.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The naive application of theory in the nucleosynthesis of copper from nickel + hydrogen would evolve beta particles yielding gamma radiation in the 5 MeV range. However the shielding in use has been described as one to two cm. of lead. 2 cm will attenuate only about 50% of gamma rays at these energies, though it has been reported that no measurable difference from the background radiation was measured during operation of the device.

If there are beta particles from the reaction of nickel + hydrogen, then that means that one of the neutrons in the copper is being converted into a proton, right? Shouldn't this lead to NO copper, as it would be adding 2 protons to the nickel nucleus for every reaction? Nickel + 2 protons = Zinc.

Phrak said:
Some people have better gardens then your own. I suggest taking advice from those that have nice looking gardens over those that talk a lot and have crap in their yards. And try to do a little thinking on your own over deference to authority. Sucking up to authority is irritating.

I'd like to think that science, as interpretted on this forum, is more than the deference to the opinions of personalities.

I suppose getting an education in science is sucking up to authority? Well, let me return my Meade Deep Sky Imager and grab a copy of Lowrider and a beer...one can't suck up to authority now can we?
I'd like to think that science, as interpretted on this forum, is more than the deference to the opinions of personalities.

Which personality would that be? The laws of thermodynamics? I will GLADLY defer to them any day.

Drakkith said:
I suppose getting an education in science is sucking up to authority? Well, let me return my Meade Deep Sky Imager and grab a copy of Lowrider and a beer...one can't suck up to authority now can we?

Which personality would that be? The laws of thermodynamics? I will GLADLY defer to them any day.

Toward the end of the year of 2011 this should be resolved. I'll be very happy to castrate you over your strident opinion at some future time in a new thread exponding your opinions and those of the the rest. However, your post is a bit difficult. Would you care to say something more diffinative along the lines of "Cold Fusion is Bunk"? I would get a lot of milage out of this if you have the balls.

You, in your own turn, should ask me about my own stance. Are you capable? Care to play?

As much as you folks are incapapable in discussing physics, this seems to be all that is left.

Last edited:
Considering the only thing going for cold fusion at the moment is Rossi, and he's working straight from 'crackpot 101', you seem very confident it's real.

Care to share your insider information Phrak?

And for the record, I don't give a d*mn what Russ or anyone else here thinks of me.

JaredJames said:
Considering the only thing going for cold fusion at the moment is Rossi, and he's working straight from 'crackpot 101', you seem very confident it's real.

Care to share your insider information Phrak?

I don't have insider information. I have what you both have, Jared and James; internet access to information. I've been actively grinding numbers on scant information for two weeks or so and weighing personalities.

The odds are good in favor.

The economnic advanage over crude is slightly favorable. The econcomic advantage over natural gas is unfavorable within the US, in my cursory estimate.

Last edited:
Phrak said:
I have what you both have, Jared and James; internet access to information.

Apparently ditching the "n" from my name has made no difference.

For the record, I am one person, Jared James. That is my name.

(Not a dig at you, everyone does it.)
I've been actively grinding numbers on scant information for two weeks or so and weighing personalities.

The odds are good in favor.

Numbers? The only numbers are what Rossi puts out. There is no independent verification and no substantial evidence provided.

There's nothing to make a judgement on at the moment outside of commenting on the methods used. He's hiding the process so we can't say whether it's real or not. However, you must note that there is nothing in his favour at the moment outside of what he claims.

The proof will come soon enough. For some reason, I want it to work but there's just nothing going for him right now.

JaredJames said:
Apparently ditching the "n" from my name has made no difference.

For the record, I am one person, Jared James. That is my name.

(Not a dig at you, everyone does it.)

Numbers? The only numbers are what Rossi puts out. There is no independent verification and no substantial evidence provided.

There's nothing to make a judgement on at the moment outside of commenting on the methods used. He's hiding the process so we can't say whether it's real or not. However, you must note that there is nothing in his favour at the moment outside of what he claims.

The proof will come soon enough. For some reason, I want it to work but there's just nothing going for him right now.

Furthermore, secrecy--after making a claim--is not part of our scientific methodology.

Okay, wow - this went downhill fast! It's over.

It would be nice if we could just put this on hold until November 1 and reopen it then for the the "I told you so" moment (for whoever gets it), but unfortunately that's not how these things work. Even legitimate projects get delayed, so we could be sitting here a year from now in exactly the same position.

Last edited: