Investigating Specific Heat Capacity with Boiling & Warm Water

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab experiment on specific heat where the participant puts 5 metals into a cup of boiling water and records the difference in temperature using two equations, Q = mcΔT and C = Q/mΔt. However, there are discrepancies in the calculations due to incorrect measurements and usage of incorrect variables. The participant is advised to pay more attention in class and improve their explanations in future posts.
pdot
I am doing a lab about specific heat. i have a cup of boiling water which i put 5 metals into, and a cup of warm water which sits at 22 degrees celcius. i am to record the difference in temperature as i am using the equation Q = mc (delta) T for part one, and then i am using the equation C = Q/m (delta ) t for part two.

For the first equation i will be using the mass of .059kg ( weight of Lead ), 4180 J/ kg degrees celcius ( i put all the metals into a boiling cup of water ) and the change of water tempterature which started at 22 degrees and went to 23 when i put the lead into the cup of water.

Q = mc (delta) t.
Q = (.059)(4180)(22-23)
please correct if i have made a mistake.
Q = -246

for the second equation i am using -246 for Q. .059kg for mass and (23-100) for change of temperature.

C = Q/m (delta ) t.
C = (-246)(.059)(23-100)
C = (-14.514)(-77) = 1117 J/KG degrees celcius. to me this is not right, and i had a substitute on friday so i couldn't ask. i also got another answer for the second equation which was 54 J/kg degrees celcius.
could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.
Preston.

Physics news on Phys.org
For one, you said you put in all the pieces of lead into the cup, did each piece have a mass of 0.059 kg or did all in total have 0.059 kg?

Secondly, to use Q=mcΔT for the first part, you measured the final temperature of the water as 23°C after putting lead at 100°C in the water. Usually the final temperature of the water would not be that low.

In that same equation, the 'm' would be the mass of the water, you used the mass of the lead.

I think you main problem lies in the fact that you recorded the final temperature of the water ( and hence lead incorrectly). I based this solely on the fact that you put 100°C lead into 22°C water and only saw a temperature rise of 23°C.

pdot said:
Q = mc (delta) t.
Q = (.059)(4180)(22-23)
please correct if i have made a mistake.
Q = -246

Why are you using the mass of lead with the specific heat of water? Did you measure the volume or mass of water? "A cup" is probably not the volume, since you're most likely working with metric units...

Also, you haven't exactly explained the procedure in a clear fashion. Was the idea of putting the lead into boiling water to raise its temperature to a known starting value (100C) before dropping it into the lukewarm water?

Ok thanks guys, and i am sorry if i have not fully explained. i guess i should pay more attention in class. and i will work on explaining myself more on posts to come.

yes rock freak, my equation is not supposed to be perfect it is supposed to come close the the specific heat. i got 136, the answer in the book is 130. thank you guys again

for lead ^

Related to Investigating Specific Heat Capacity with Boiling & Warm Water

What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius.

Why is it important to investigate specific heat capacity with boiling and warm water?

Boiling and warm water have different temperatures and therefore have different specific heat capacities. By investigating both, we can better understand how specific heat capacity varies with temperature.

How do you measure specific heat capacity with boiling and warm water?

To measure specific heat capacity with boiling and warm water, you will need a known mass of water, a thermometer, a heat source, and a container to hold the water. First, record the initial temperature of the water. Then, heat the water until it reaches boiling point or warm temperature. Record the final temperature. Finally, use the formula Q = mcΔT to calculate the specific heat capacity, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What factors can affect the results of the investigation?

The accuracy of the results can be affected by several factors such as the precision of the measuring instruments used, the type and purity of the water, and the efficiency of the heat source. Any errors or fluctuations in these factors can affect the calculated specific heat capacity.

What are some real-life applications of knowing specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is important in many real-life scenarios, such as designing cooking appliances, determining the appropriate materials for insulation, and understanding how the human body regulates temperature. It is also crucial in the fields of engineering, thermodynamics, and environmental science.