Inventing Process: Agony, Maths & Peanut Butter

In summary: Without these allies, it can be hard to see your project through to the end.Yes, I think this is very important as well. Without the right people to support you, you can easily get bogged down in the details and lose sight of your goal. Thanks for the advice!
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Those of you that have gone through this experience know the agony,
the tunnel vission that sets in, only one thing matters, the thing you are inventing.
having to take in the gammut of various aspects of the design, the maths,
oh the maths, i have had to fill both sides of four pages of a4 paper with stupendously complex calculations, mostly long division, i have had to search the internet for hours on end looking for information on materials and there properties, the thing i am working on needs cock on tollerances, no gnats cocks here, heck i could split one a hundred times and just about be in the ball park, my invention is iin the cooking stage, final drawings and manufactue probabilities, this is the stage where one has to think about spending money :bugeye: and sweating about weather the the blasted thing will work or not:cry:
i have spent so much time on this project and lost track of evreything else, i was shocked when i went to cook a meal, spiders had used my cooker for an anchor point for their webs, the only food i could find was a jar of peanut butter, going outside all my flowers have died, useless blasted things can not look after them selfs for a week or two
but the thistles two foot high looked in radiant health.
any ways i my invention is on paper now, i will have to wait an see what can become of it :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Congrats on making it this far, Woolie. Good luck with it. If the peanut butter wasn't rancid, you're still in fine shape.

What is it, exactly?

I think it splits and cooks gnat cocks, at least that's my understanding. :rolleyes:

Evo said:
I think it splits and cooks gnat cocks, at least that's my understanding. :rolleyes:

:smile: A gnats cock is 1/64 inch where i come from.

I would have to have wild horses drag out any more info from me, my invention is so hot it would melt the tiles on the space shuttle, heck every auto manufacturer in the world will be pressing millions of quids in my paws for it, if it works :confused:

I chucked the peanut butter D, it had a crust on it, i have since restocked my larder with jars of pickled cockles, onions and cheese plus things in tins.

In case you don't already have it, get a copy of this book to help you in managing your work and contacts involving the invention. It's mostly geared to US patent law, but apparently is used world-wide:

http://www.nolo.com/product.cfm/ObjectID/139AEDE9-69A0-4810-A7A87D2AD5422664/310/

Last edited by a moderator:
Inventing is something like a bout with the flu in that mowing your lawn and washing the dishes are forgotten in the fever of creation.

berkeman said:
In case you don't already have it, get a copy of this book to help you in managing your work and contacts involving the invention. It's mostly geared to US patent law, but apparently is used world-wide:

http://www.nolo.com/product.cfm/ObjectID/139AEDE9-69A0-4810-A7A87D2AD5422664/310/

Thanks berkeman, i will look for it, i think i know every variation of engine configeration ever thought of, but i may have missed one, some come close to my idea but i think it is so far removed from any i have found to be patentable.

Last edited by a moderator:
wolram said:
:smile: A gnats cock is 1/64 inch where i come from.

Same here.

I was working on a project where the tolerances were so tight our lead engineer said "forget about the gnat's cock, we're dealing with a gnat's pube here". :smile:

wolram said:
Thanks berkeman, i will look for it, i think i know every variation of engine configeration ever thought of, but i may have missed one, some come close to my idea but i think it is so far removed from any i have found to be patentable.
Ah, you've let it slip that it's an engine!

wolram said:
...the thing i am working on needs cock on tollerances, no gnats cocks here, heck i could split one a hundred times and just about be in the ball park...A gnats cock is 1/64 inch where i come from.
You may want to consider moving away from these obsolete english units and going all metric (e.g., 1 gnat's **** = 0.0397 centipetes = 0.397 millipetes).

Last edited:
Sounds like Woolie's been developing the idea we discussed in engineering last week!

wolram said:
Well, my recommendation was not just about knowing your field, my friend. Patenting and inventing involves a lot about being smart in a strategic sense, not just the tactical inventive sense.

Like, it is very important to have some trusted technically knowledgeable colegues (man, sp? on all of that) who can witness your notebook as you work. They need to be able to write "Read and Understood" honestly, and sign and date your entries. They cannot have a financial stake in the outcome, and they need to be technically knowledgeable about the subject to catch any mistakes that you have made. I have a group of friends that I can tap for things like this, but that is truly rare. They all for the most part have succeeded in what they do, and are willing to put their sig on your work as a free service as a favor to you. And hopefully, you would be willing to sign off the "Read and Understood" (really understood) on them when they ask.

If it comes down to a patent court thing, you need very hot tech types in your corner who really did understand your idea, and can explain it to the jury. If you have that, you can defend your patent.

But at least at my latest couple of companies in the present global cheater environment, we go with the trade secret route. Not sure how that factors into your business plan at this point wolfie.

zoobyshoe said:
Ah, you've let it slip that it's an engine!
What makes you think that? I was going to guess it's a state-of-the-art cupholder that brings your drink to your mouth...one tiny slip, and it's a straw up the nose, so it better have good tolerances! :biggrin:

Good luck Woolie! As for the flowers, winter's coming anyway, so might as well enjoy the pretty thistle. :-p

Moonbear said:
one tiny slip, and it's a straw up the nose
Isn't it "gnats cock up the nose"?

berkeman said:
...it is very important to have some trusted technically knowledgeable colegues (man, sp? on all of that) who can witness your notebook as you work. They need to be able to write "Read and Understood" honestly, and sign and date your entries. They cannot have a financial stake in the outcome, and they need to be technically knowledgeable about the subject to catch any mistakes that you have made. I have a group of friends that I can tap for things like this, but that is truly rare. They all for the most part have succeeded in what they do, and are willing to put their sig on your work as a free service as a favor to you. And hopefully, you would be willing to sign off the "Read and Understood" (really understood) on them when they ask.

If it comes down to a patent court thing, you need very hot tech types in your corner who really did understand your idea, and can explain it to the jury. If you have that, you can defend your patent.
Without a written commitment of confidentiality from these witnesses to go along with the notebook, if it comes down to a patent court thing then what is probably going to get explained to the judge(s)/jury is how this notebook is indisputable evidence of a premature non-confidential disclosure of the invention. The fact that you consider these people to be trusted and technically knowledgeable colleagues is not sufficient.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
What makes you think that? I was going to guess it's a state-of-the-art cupholder that brings your drink to your mouth...one tiny slip, and it's a straw up the nose, so it better have good tolerances! :biggrin:

Good luck Woolie! As for the flowers, winter's coming anyway, so might as well enjoy the pretty thistle. :-p

I am looking after that thistle now, just a test to see if i really am doctor death to plants, it was 2ft 1 1/2in tall before i started tending it ,so i will check again after one week.

Thanks for the advice guys, i intend to build and prove this thing (that is not an engine) then get may be Kia to do the paper work, as for sure i would be stiched up like a kipper one way or tother if i did it myself.

I'm crying in my beer for not inventing YouTube. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I recognized the need but never thought about about the overall potential.

Related to Inventing Process: Agony, Maths & Peanut Butter

What is the "Inventing Process: Agony, Maths & Peanut Butter"?

The "Inventing Process: Agony, Maths & Peanut Butter" is a phrase coined by scientist and inventor, Thomas Edison, to describe the struggle and challenges that come with the process of inventing. It highlights the importance of perseverance and problem-solving skills in the invention process.

What is the role of agony in the inventing process?

Agony, or the feeling of intense and persistent pain or suffering, is often experienced by inventors during the process of creating something new. It can be caused by failures, setbacks, and criticisms, but it can also push inventors to keep improving their ideas and solutions.

How does maths play a role in the invention process?

Maths is an essential tool in the invention process as it helps inventors analyze data, make accurate measurements, and solve complex problems. It is often used in designing and testing prototypes, as well as in the overall planning and development of an invention.

Why is peanut butter mentioned in the "Inventing Process: Agony, Maths & Peanut Butter"?

Peanut butter is not directly related to the invention process, but it is used as a metaphor in Edison's phrase to represent the "sticky" and challenging aspects of inventing. Just like how peanut butter can be difficult to clean up, the invention process can also be messy and require a lot of effort and patience.

What can we learn from the "Inventing Process: Agony, Maths & Peanut Butter"?

The "Inventing Process: Agony, Maths & Peanut Butter" teaches us that the journey of invention is not easy, but it is necessary to overcome challenges and persist through failures in order to achieve success. It also highlights the importance of using analytical and problem-solving skills, such as maths, in the invention process.