Dual Honours CS/Maths vs Engineering

In summary: Even if you go for an engineering degree, you will still need to study these courses. They are not "dis discarded" in the sense that you will only learn them if you go for an engineering degree, but they are not a part of the core coursework. The reason these courses are not a part of the core coursework is that they are quite specialized and not applicable to all engineering disciplines.
CelNostos
Hey everyone,

I am based in the UK and am deliberating whether I should go for a dual honours CS/Maths degree or jump for an Engineering one. I'm aware that in a dual honours while you do more than half of each degree, at the later stages some of the modules are picked so that they go together very well, but some stuff is discarded, like half of the 3rd year Maths and CS modules, and the same in 4th year. I'm just wondering if that is a bad thing or not. I do like both subjects, which is why I choose it as a double in the first place. I just had at first assumed it was like the US system. Double major = double degree (I would have preferred this), and I figured I wouldn't be 'missing out' some important stuff from both sides. However, is a joint degree worthwhile or will it just mean that I won't be able to call myself an expert in either field? Is a dual honours less or more respected than a single honours?

Finally, my other choice was engineering, but alas, I am not too sure on that subject either. I think I'd find it less interesting that pure maths and computers, mainly because so far I've always found physics related maths kind of boring. I'm sure that opinion will probably change in Uni though. It's just that I'm thinking of the future and what would be best. My hope is to eventually move to Canada, and I'm not sure how the job market is there for engineers. I know where I am based right now (Scotland) I'd probably end up working in the oil industry. I'm not too sure if I'd be happy with that or not.

Any advice/experience would be most welcome, and if there's anything I didn't elaborate enough on, please mention so. I kind of wrote this in a hurry.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, doing 4 years of math won't make you an expert in the field. At all.

I feel that an undergraduate degree in math serves two purposes:
1) Learning how to do proofs and how to think abstractly.
2) Getting acquainted with a variety of different mathematics.

I think that your program will serve that purpose well.

On the other hand, if your goal is to do a PhD in mathematics, then the more math you know the better.

Hmm, if you do dual CS+math, then you will be missing galois theory, topology and measure theory. These are quite fundamental courses, so you will have to self-study them as you need them (which shouldn't be a problem if you completed the major).

I can offer some insight into the differences between a dual honours CS/Maths degree and an Engineering degree. Both paths have their own unique benefits and it ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals.

A dual honours degree in CS/Maths allows you to have a strong foundation in both computer science and mathematics, which are highly sought after skills in many industries. You will have a well-rounded knowledge base and be able to apply both disciplines in various fields such as data analysis, programming, and research. However, as you mentioned, you may not have the opportunity to delve as deeply into each subject compared to a single honours degree. This could potentially limit your expertise in one specific area, but it also allows for a broader range of job opportunities.

On the other hand, an Engineering degree allows you to specialize in a specific field, such as mechanical, electrical, or civil engineering. You will have a more focused and in-depth understanding of your chosen discipline, and this may be more appealing to certain employers. However, it may also limit your job options to that specific field.

In terms of job market and respect, both dual honours and Engineering degrees are highly valued and respected in the workforce. It ultimately depends on the specific industry and job you are applying for.

As for your concerns about the job market in Canada, it is always a good idea to do some research and see what industries and companies are thriving in the area you are interested in. You can also reach out to professionals in those fields to get a better understanding of the job market and potential opportunities.

Overall, my advice would be to choose the path that aligns with your interests and career goals. Both options have their own advantages and it is important to choose a degree that you are passionate about and will enjoy studying. Good luck with your decision!

Related to Dual Honours CS/Maths vs Engineering

1. What is the main difference between a dual honours degree in computer science and maths and a degree in engineering?

The main difference between a dual honours degree in computer science and maths and a degree in engineering is the focus of the curriculum. A dual honours degree combines two disciplines, while an engineering degree is more focused on specific engineering principles and applications. Additionally, a dual honours degree may provide a broader understanding of both computer science and mathematics, while an engineering degree is more specialized.

2. How do the job prospects differ for someone with a dual honours degree in CS/maths versus someone with an engineering degree?

The job prospects for someone with a dual honours degree in CS/maths and someone with an engineering degree can differ depending on the specific industry and job market. In general, a dual honours degree may provide a wider range of job opportunities in both computer science and mathematics-related fields, while an engineering degree may be more applicable to roles in the engineering industry. However, both degrees can lead to successful careers in various industries.

3. Are there any specific skills or knowledge that a dual honours degree in CS/maths would provide that an engineering degree wouldn't?

A dual honours degree in CS/maths may provide a stronger background in programming and computer science principles, while an engineering degree may focus more on mathematical and analytical skills. Additionally, a dual honours degree may offer a broader understanding of both disciplines, which can be beneficial in certain job settings.

4. Can someone with a dual honours degree in CS/maths still pursue a career in engineering?

Yes, someone with a dual honours degree in CS/maths can still pursue a career in engineering. While an engineering degree may provide a more direct path to a career in engineering, a dual honours degree can also provide a solid foundation for further education or training in engineering. Additionally, many engineering roles also require knowledge and skills in computer science and mathematics, making a dual honours degree a valuable asset.

5. Which degree would be better for someone interested in pursuing a career in both computer science and engineering?

It ultimately depends on the individual's interests and career goals. If someone is interested in both computer science and engineering, a dual honours degree in CS/maths may be a better fit as it provides a broader understanding of both disciplines. However, if someone is more interested in a specific engineering field, such as mechanical or electrical engineering, then pursuing an engineering degree may be a more suitable option.