Introductory Physical Pendulum Problem

In summary: Now, just add these two moment of inertias.In summary, the problem involves constructing a pendulum using a thin rod and a uniform sphere. The period for small oscillations is to be determined, with options ranging from 1.5 to 2.5 seconds. The moment of inertia and center of mass for the system must be found, but the fact that the rod has non-negligible mass makes it a physical pendulum. The moment of inertia for the rod is (1/3)ML^2, and for the sphere it is (2/5)MR^2. The moment of inertia for the sphere must be found using the parallel axis theorem, and then added to the moment of inertia for the
Zipzap

Homework Statement

A pendulum is constructed using a thin rod (m1 = 2.0 kg, L = 1.0m) and a uniform sphere (m2 = 1.0 kg, R = 0.50 m). The period in "s" for small oscillations is:
a) 1.5
b) 1.7
c) 2.0
d) 2.2
e) 2.5

Homework Equations

T = 2pi *sqrt(I/mgd)

The Attempt at a Solution

To start off, the rod is pivoting at an end attached to a ceiling with the sphere attached to its bottom.
I initially got (c) by assuming it was a simple pendulum ("thin rod", lol), but a more careful look reveals that the rod does not have negligible mass, and so this pendulum must be physical. My biggest dilemma with this problem is finding the center of mass for this system, and then finding "d" assuming that. Unfortunately, inertia is my weakest area in Physics, and so I am stuck as to how to use the parallel axis theorem correctly to get my answer.
Any hints?
If it helps, people in my class keep getting (d) or (e).

Physics news on Phys.org
show an attempt on finding moment of inertia and center of mass.

All right, here goes nothing =P

I know that the rod has inertia of (1/3)ML^2, and the sphere has (2/5)MR^2...

I also know I = integral of r^2, r = L+R...

Am I on the right track here?

take inertia about the point of suspension.

What do you mean by that? You mean where the rod is being suspended?

Zipzap said:
All right, here goes nothing =P

I know that the rod has inertia of (1/3)ML^2, and the sphere has (2/5)MR^2...
About which axis.
You have to take moment of inertia about line perpendicular to the plane in which pendulum swings and passing through point of suspension

So then I can just simply add inertias for both the rod and sphere to get my moment of inertia?

Really very appreciable for physics students, they really helpful.
===================
http://www.creditcarddebt.co.uk"

Last edited by a moderator:
yes right. proceed that way.

And I can add them both because the pivot point is unchanged and the sphere itself contributes to the overall inertia, right?

Anyhow, I get (1/3)ML^2 + (2/5)MR^2, giving me a numerical value of 0.7666666 when I sub in my values.

What do I do about "d" when I input it into the formula for periods? =S

Zipzap said:
Anyhow, I get (1/3)ML^2 + (2/5)MR^2, giving me a numerical value of 0.7666666 when I sub in my values.

No. The moment of inertia of the sphere is not (2/5)MR^2 about the required axis. It is (2/5)MR^2 about its. You will need to find its moment of inertia about the required axis using parallel axis theorem.

About its axis? But it's attached to the rod, how am I supposed to find it using parallel axis theorem??

the distance of the centre of sphere from point of suspension is equal to length of rod.

Ok, now I'm confused:

I know that I have to add the inertias together. The sphere will have a different inertia that I have find using the parallel axis theorem (no clue how to do this), and without the center of gravity, I have no idea how to find "d"

Any other helpful advice?

ok, let us start from the basics. When you want to find angular acceleration, you find it about an axis of rotation. Now, how do you find it? You calculate torque about that axis and the moment of inertia about that axis. Now, you have a relation:
[tex]\tau[/tex] = I [tex]\alpha[/tex]

In your question the axis to be taken is the one mentioned earlier. For using the above relation you have to calculate moment of inertia about about that axis. Now, you know that moment of inertia of the sphere is 2/5 Mr^2 about its diameter. also distance between diameter and that axis is the length of the string.

using parallel axis theorem moment of inertia of the sphere is 2/5 Mr^2 + ML^2 where L is the length of the string.

Related to Introductory Physical Pendulum Problem

1. What is a physical pendulum?

A physical pendulum is a system consisting of a mass suspended from a pivot point, which is allowed to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity. Unlike a simple pendulum, which has a point mass and a single pivot point, a physical pendulum has a distributed mass and multiple pivot points.

2. How is the period of a physical pendulum determined?

The period of a physical pendulum is determined by its length, the acceleration due to gravity, and the distribution of mass along its length. This can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance between the pivot point and the center of mass.

3. What is the difference between a simple pendulum and a physical pendulum?

A simple pendulum has a point mass and a single pivot point, while a physical pendulum has a distributed mass and multiple pivot points. The period of a simple pendulum is determined solely by its length, while the period of a physical pendulum is affected by its length, mass distribution, and pivot points.

4. How does the length of a physical pendulum affect its period?

The length of a physical pendulum is directly proportional to its period. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, so does its period. This relationship can be seen in the formula T = 2π√(I/mgd), where the length is represented by d.

5. What factors affect the stability of a physical pendulum?

The stability of a physical pendulum is affected by its length, mass distribution, and pivot points. A longer pendulum with a lower center of mass will be more stable, while a shorter pendulum with a higher center of mass will be less stable. Additionally, having multiple pivot points can also affect the stability of a physical pendulum.