Physical Pendulum Formula Derivation

In summary, the formula for the period of small-amplitude oscillation for a physical pendulum with a uniform rod and attached blob is T = 2∏√(I/Mgd), where I is the rotational inertia, M is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance between the pivot point and the center of gravity of the compound pendulum. To find the center of gravity, the compound pendulum can be balanced on a knife-edge, with its location being a function of the blob position x. The ordinary differential equation τ = I θ'' can also be used to solve for the period, with τ being the restoring torque as a function of θ. This includes the restoring torque
Parto0o

Homework Statement

A physical pendulum, consisting of a uniform rod (of mass M and length L) with an attached blob, can oscillate about an axis that goes through one end of the rod. The mass of the blob is also M. The distance of the blob to the rotation axis is x.
The aim is to derive a formula for the period T of small-amplitude oscillation versus the distance x.

Homework Equations

Small-amplitude oscillation: T = 2∏√(I/Mgd)

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I didn't even know what formula to begin with. So I asked my lecturer and he told me that I have to use the formula for small-amplitude oscillation; which would be T = 2pi srt(I/Mgd).
I guess, finding the center of mass of the physical pendulum is the hardest part for me. Now I really have no idea how to relate everything and derive the formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use your formula. Your main task is to determine the center of gravity of the compound pendulum consisting of the uniform rod and the blob. The c.g. will obviously be a function of x. d is then the distance between the pivot point and the c.g.

To find the c.g., think of taking the compound pendulum off the pivot and making a see-saw out of it, i.e using a knife-edge to balance the two halves. The location of the knife edge is the location of the c.g. It will obviously be a function of the blob position x.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum[/url]

If you haven't had differential calculus including simple ordinary differential equations, ignore the following.

More fundamentally, you can solve the ordinary differential equation (ODE) τ = I θ'' where
τ = restoring torque as a function of θ
I = rotational inertia of the compound pendulum
θ = the angle the pendulum makes with the vertical.

τ will comprise the restoring torque exerted on the bar by the bar itself as well as the restoring torque exerted on the bar by the blob. The latter will of course be a function of x.

By 'restoring torque' we mean the torque exerted by gravity to the bar and to the blob. The ODE is solved by assuming an initial θ = θ0. You will need to assume sinθ ~ θ to solve the ODE.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Physical Pendulum Formula Derivation

1. What is a physical pendulum?

A physical pendulum is a rigid body that is allowed to swing freely about a fixed pivot point. It is different from a simple pendulum in that its point of suspension is not at its center of mass.

2. What is the formula for the period of a physical pendulum?

The formula for the period of a physical pendulum is T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the period in seconds, I is the moment of inertia of the pendulum about the pivot point, m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass.

3. How is the formula for the period of a physical pendulum derived?

The formula for the period of a physical pendulum can be derived using the equation of motion for rotational motion, τ = Iα, where τ is the torque on the pendulum, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. By substituting in the expression for the torque due to gravity and solving for α, the formula for the period can be obtained.

4. Can the formula for the period of a physical pendulum be used for any shape or size of pendulum?

Yes, the formula for the period of a physical pendulum can be used for any shape or size of pendulum as long as its point of suspension is not at its center of mass. This is because the formula takes into account the moment of inertia, which is a property of the pendulum's shape and mass distribution.

5. How accurate is the formula for the period of a physical pendulum?

The formula for the period of a physical pendulum is a theoretical approximation and may not be completely accurate in real-world situations. Factors such as air resistance, friction, and non-uniform distribution of mass can affect the actual period of a physical pendulum. However, for simple pendulums with small amplitude oscillations, the formula provides a good estimate of the period.