Time period of a pendulum made of two disks

In summary, the problem involves finding the period of small oscillations for a pendulum made of two disks of mass M and radius R connected by a massless rod with a distance of l between their centers. Using the parallel axis theorem, the moment of inertia about the pivot is calculated to be MR^2 + Ml^2. Plugging in the values in the formula for the period of oscillations, the final result is T = 2π√(R^2 + l^2/gl).
vishwesh

Homework Statement

Problem statement -
[/B]
Klepner and Kolenkow 6.15 : A pendulum is made of two disks each of mass M and radius R separated by a massless rod. One of the disks is pivoted through its center by a small pin. The disks hang in the same plane and their centres are a distance l apart. Find the period for small oscillations.

Variables -

Two disks of mass M and radius R; massless rod; distance between centres of disks is l

Homework Equations

For disk, radius of gyration, k = ## \sqrt{\cfrac{1}{2}}R ##
For a physical pendulum,

## \omega = \sqrt{\cfrac{mgl}{I}} ##, where m = mass of the physical pendulum and I = moment of inertia of the pendulum about the pivot.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Centre of mass of the system of the disks should be at the midpoint of the rod. So, I replaced the system with a physical pendulum.

First, we have to calculate moment of inertia of the pendulum about the pivot. Using parallel axis theorem,

## I = I_{0} + ml^2 ##
## \implies I = \cfrac{1}{2}(2M)R^2 + (2M) (\cfrac{l}{2})^2 ##

Also, we will have to replace 'm' by '2M' in the formula for ## \omega##.

This whole solution of mine looks too confusing to me. Can anyone please tell me whether I am on the right path or not? Also, how should I proceed with the question?

I have attached the figure for the question (as per my understanding).

Thanks

Attachments

• KK.jpg
    KK.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 840
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the right basic approach - you need the moment of inertia about the pivot - which is actually through the center of mass of one of the disks. The overall moment of inertia is the sum of the moments of inertia of the parts. So work out each part separately and add them up.

Likes vishwesh
Simon Bridge said:
You have the right basic approach - you need the moment of inertia about the pivot - which is actually through the center of mass of one of the disks. The overall moment of inertia is the sum of the moments of inertia of the parts. So work out each part separately and add them up.
Thanks for the reply.

Net moment of inertia, ##I_{net} = I_{1} + I_{2} = \cfrac{1}{2} MR^2 + (\cfrac{1}{2}MR^2 + Ml^2)##
##\implies I_{net} = MR^2 + Ml^2##

Plugging in the values in the formula:

##\omega = \sqrt{\cfrac{mgl}{I}} = \sqrt{\cfrac{(2M)g(\cfrac{l}{2})}{MR^2 + Ml^2}}##
## \implies \omega = \sqrt{\cfrac{gl}{R^2 + l^2}} ##

Thus, time period of oscillations should be:

## T = \cfrac{2\pi}{\omega} = 2\pi \sqrt{\cfrac{R^2 + l^2}{gl}}##

Is this correct?

Thanks

Last edited:
It's pretty much what I would have done - didn't check your algebra.

Likes vishwesh
Simon Bridge said:
It's pretty much what I would have done - didn't check your algebra.
Superb! Thanks a lot for your help.

Related to Time period of a pendulum made of two disks

1. What factors affect the time period of a pendulum made of two disks?

The time period of a pendulum made of two disks is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the disks, and the angle at which the pendulum is released. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also have a minor effect.

2. How do you calculate the time period of a pendulum made of two disks?

The time period of a pendulum made of two disks can be calculated using the formula T=2π√(L/g), where T is the time period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This assumes that the pendulum is released from a small angle and there is no air resistance or friction.

3. Does the mass of the disks affect the time period of the pendulum?

Yes, the mass of the disks does affect the time period of the pendulum. A pendulum with larger disks will have a longer time period compared to a pendulum with smaller disks, assuming all other factors are constant.

4. Can the time period of a pendulum made of two disks be altered?

Yes, the time period of a pendulum made of two disks can be altered by changing the length of the pendulum or the mass of the disks. Additionally, the time period can be affected by external factors such as air resistance and friction.

5. How does the angle at which the pendulum is released affect the time period of a pendulum made of two disks?

The angle at which the pendulum is released can affect the time period of a pendulum made of two disks. A pendulum released from a larger angle will have a longer time period compared to a pendulum released from a smaller angle. This is because a larger angle results in a longer distance for the pendulum to travel, increasing the time period.