Introductory analysis question

In summary, the conversation is discussing a proof for part a) of a problem, which involves showing that certain numbers are upper bounds for a given set. The first part of the proof is shown to be incorrect, but the second and third parts are deemed to be satisfactory. The conversation then moves on to discussing part b), where the person is trying to prove a similar concept using a different approach. Different ideas and strategies are discussed, but the conversation ends with the person questioning if their proof is complete.
synkk
sGTmGUb.png

I've split the proof for part a) into 3 parts:

here's what I have thus far:

1) to prove H is an upper bound consider: [itex]H < 0[/itex] as an upper bound for S. We take [itex]H = -1[/itex] and hence [itex]H^2 = 1[/itex] and [itex]1 \leq 3[/itex]. 1 is in the set S and hence [itex]H < 0 [/itex]is not an upper bound which implies that [itex]H > 0[/itex] is an upper bound.

2) consider [itex]H^2 < 3[/itex]is an upper bound, and for N belonging to the natural numbers [itex]H + 1/N[/itex] is a rational number. Consider [itex](H+1/N)^2 = H^2 + 2H/N + 1/N^2 < 3 [/itex]for N sufficiently large. This implies that [itex]H + 1/N[/itex] is in the set S, but[itex] H + 1/N > H[/itex] hence a contradiction therefore[itex] H^2 < 3[/itex] is not an upper bound and [itex]H^2 \geq 3[/itex] is.

3)if H is a rational number and [itex]H >0[/itex], [itex]H^2 \geq3[/itex] we see [itex]H\geq \sqrt{3}[/itex] as [itex]H > 0[/itex] thus all [itex]H\geq \sqrt{3} [/itex] are upper bounds as [itex]x \leq \sqrt{3}[/itex]. That is all I have for part a),

is this correct?

for part b) here is what I have:
I called [itex]H' = H - 1/N[/itex] and tried to prove it by contradiction, i.e. assume[itex]H - 1/N <\sqrt{3}[/itex] but I got to [itex]H < \sqrt{3} + 1/N[/itex] and we know [itex]H \geq \sqrt{3}[/itex] from part a), and for N sufficiently large 1/N = 0, but I don't really think this is a good enough contradiction, for instance. [itex]\sqrt{3}\leq H < \sqrt{3} + 1/N[/itex] is ok, if N is say 2 or so. How would I go about contradicting this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Part 1 is not good, as all you've shown is that -1 would be in the set if negative numbers were allowed in the set (which they aren't anyway).

Part 2 and 3 are basically OK but you have some language issues (which also show up in part 1). When you say
therefore [itex] H^2 < 3 [/itex] is not an upper bound and [itex] H^2 \geq 3 [/itex] is
you haven't said anything meaningful. [itex] H^2 \geq 3 [/itex] isn't an upper bound, it's a condition which upper bounds must satisfy. A correct statement would be something like 'therefore if H is an upper bound, [itex] H^2 \geq 3[/itex].

For part b you basically want to copy your (2) idea. You know that if H is an upper bound of S in Q then H is not equal to [itex] \sqrt{3}[/itex] - or you should go ahead and prove that the square root of 3 is irrational - so H2 > 3 strictly. Therefore (H-1/N)2 > 3 if N is small enough (you have to prove this).

Office_Shredder said:
Part 1 is not good, as all you've shown is that -1 would be in the set if negative numbers were allowed in the set (which they aren't anyway).

Part 2 and 3 are basically OK but you have some language issues (which also show up in part 1). When you say

you haven't said anything meaningful. [itex] H^2 \geq 3 [/itex] isn't an upper bound, it's a condition which upper bounds must satisfy. A correct statement would be something like 'therefore if H is an upper bound, [itex] H^2 \geq 3[/itex].

For part b you basically want to copy your (2) idea. You know that if H is an upper bound of S in Q then H is not equal to [itex] \sqrt{3}[/itex] - or you should go ahead and prove that the square root of 3 is irrational - so H2 > 3 strictly. Therefore (H-1/N)2 > 3 if N is small enough (you have to prove this).
Thank you for correcting my language issues, I understand my presentation is not very good, but I'm trying to improve.

I don't understand what you mean by (1)? I'm trying to show that if H is an upper bound, then H>0 and H^2 > 3, with 1), I'm using contradiction by assuming H<=0 is the upper bound then going on to show that this is impossible hence H>0 must be an upper bound. Then from 2) I use a similar argument to show H^2 >= 3 must be an upper bound (by contradiction). Could you explain where I've gone wrong here?

OK for part b) here is what I got so far

Assume that ## (H-1/N)^2 < 3 ## then we have ## H < \sqrt{3} + 1/N ## for ## N \in \mathbb{N} ## as ## H > \sqrt{3} ## we get ## \sqrt{3} < H < \sqrt{3} + 1/N ## and for N very large (specifically for ## N > \frac{1}{H-\sqrt{3}} ## ) we get ## 1/N ## tending to 0, hence ## \sqrt{3} < H < \sqrt{3} ## which is a contradiction hence ## (H-1/N)^2 > 3##

I'm not sure if this is correct, but that's all I can get so far from it, please advise.

I haven't looked at a problem like this in a while. I came up with this idea.
Take ##P,H\in \mathbb{Q}## Such that ##P>\sqrt{3}>H ## and assume
$$H + \frac{1}{N} \notin (H, P) \forall\ N\in\mathbb{N}\implies H = P = \sqrt{3}$$
since for all rational numbers, take ##x,y \in \mathbb{N}##
$$\frac{x}{y} + \frac{1}{2y} < \frac{x+1}{y}$$
or
$$\frac{x}{y} + (\frac{1}{2})(\frac{1}{y}) < \frac{x}{y} + \frac{1}{y}$$
I believe this proves both a and b

Last edited:
Hmm I'm not sure if this works but I believe my proof is incomplete.
Assume ##P## is the smallest rational number greater than ##\sqrt{3}##
$$\implies \exists Z\in\mathbb{Q}\ and\ Z\in [H,P]\ |\ Z < \sqrt{3} \implies 3 > Z^2 > H^2$$
I believe we can make the assumption the other way in order to prove that there is an infinite amount of rational numbers across ##[H,P]##
I'm not sure if this is allowed, any feedback would be great !

Related to Introductory analysis question

1. What is introductory analysis?

Introductory analysis is the process of breaking down a complex problem or system into smaller, more manageable parts in order to gain a better understanding of it. It involves using various techniques and tools to collect, organize, and interpret data in order to make informed decisions or draw meaningful conclusions.

2. What are some common techniques used in introductory analysis?

Some common techniques used in introductory analysis include brainstorming, data collection and organization, data visualization, statistical analysis, and problem-solving frameworks such as SWOT analysis or the scientific method.

3. Why is introductory analysis important?

Introductory analysis is important because it allows us to gain a deeper understanding of complex problems or systems, identify patterns and trends, and make informed decisions based on data and evidence. It also helps us to identify potential problems or areas for improvement and develop effective solutions.

4. What are the steps involved in introductory analysis?

The steps involved in introductory analysis vary depending on the specific problem or system being studied, but generally include defining the problem, collecting and organizing data, identifying patterns and trends, analyzing data using appropriate techniques, and drawing conclusions or making recommendations based on the findings.

5. How is introductory analysis used in different fields?

Introductory analysis is used in a wide range of fields, including science, business, finance, marketing, healthcare, and social sciences. In science, it may be used to analyze experimental data or research findings. In business, it may be used to analyze market trends or financial data. In healthcare, it may be used to evaluate patient outcomes or identify risk factors for diseases. In social sciences, it may be used to study human behavior or societal trends.