Introducing Little Tyke: A Tribute to Einstein

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Introducing
In summary: I can't even explain it).In summary, Tsu comes home with a three week old kitten named 'Tyke' who was abandoned by one of her coworkers. Tsu is reluctant to let Tyke out of her sight, and Ivan steps in to take care of the kitten while Tsu is at work. The pictures don't look the best, but the author is smiling so it must be worth it.
Pets are expensive!

Cute, but expensive.

Physics news on Phys.org
lisab said:
**THUMP** (me passing out from cute overload)

(wakes up...staggers a bit...looks at Little Tyke again...)

**THUMP**

Here you go - a must for kitten owners:
http://www.cpr-savers.com/picturesweb/First%20Aid%20Refills/Ammonia%20refills/A-5009t.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
JasonRox said:
Pets are expensive!

Cute, but expensive.

You should have seen our vet and food bills when we had a full house. At our peak I think it was 13 animals - it seemed like we were dropping a few hundred bucks at the vets every few weeks. And that doesn't even count the hip repairs and other surgeries that were needed at times.

Ivan Seeking said:
You should have seen our vet and food bills when we had a full house. At our peak I think it was 13 animals - it seemed like we were dropping a few hundred bucks at the vets every few weeks. And that doesn't even count the hip repairs and other surgeries that were needed at times.

Wow, that's a lot of animals.

I'm sure it's all fun too. :smile:

Oh, oh, oh...she is so incredibly cute!

Hope she's okay...not good hearing she's not eating. :frown: Report back as soon as you know.

Tsu just got home. They pooped her [I guess we weren't stimulating her enough], gave anti-nausea meds, and hydrated her. The general feeling is that this is probably just a stress reaction to being separated from mom, etc. They let her come home so they must not be too worried.

When my wife and I had ferrets, we found out that many people kept them cooped up in cages instead of letting them have the run of the house. Our first ferret was just such a rescue, and he never actually learned how to run like the others - he was an adult and had rarely been out of his cage. We got a kit (baby ferret) to keep him company, and they were inseparable. We added ferrets to the pack one at a time, and over the years, we rescued ferrets from some pretty bad situations. One little girl was caged in a very small cage in a crappy pet-shop, and she was sick and thin with thinning fur, so we bought her (hated to give those creeps a profit) got her to our vet, and took her home to nurse her back to health. Some of our rescues were give-aways from people who had lost interest and we paid for some. At one time, we had 8 of them. Vet's bills were pretty bad at times, but it was worth it.

Ivan Seeking said:
Tsu just got home. They pooped her [I guess we weren't stimulating her enough], gave anti-nausea meds, and hydrated her. The general feeling is that this is probably just a stress reaction to being separated from mom, etc. They let her come home so they must not be too worried.

Phew! Keep in mind what a sandpapery textured tongue momma cat has...I think you can be pretty vigorous with the stimulation and not do any harm.

It kind of leaves you wondering, though, which is better/worse...kittens that can't poop until stimulated, or babies that just poop whenever (some days it seems the idea of getting to control when the baby poops isn't so bad...at least as long as it can be done with a wet washcloth and not require licking ).

You're right, MB. It was the 'vigorous' stimulation that I was lacking. I was too gentle. I didn't want to hurt her! It didn't take much effort when we first got her as she had diarrhea. Now it's getting more solid and takes more work. The Vet got quite good results and then gave her some sub-q fluids. We also have some anti-nausea meds and I'm going to try feeding her some goats milk. She ate a little bit just now and then konked out for a nap. I have to get ready for work now. Bummer. Good thing my vacation starts tonight! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Phew! Keep in mind what a sandpapery textured tongue momma cat has...I think you can be pretty vigorous with the stimulation and not do any harm.

It kind of leaves you wondering, though, which is better/worse...kittens that can't poop until stimulated, or babies that just poop whenever (some days it seems the idea of getting to control when the baby poops isn't so bad...at least as long as it can be done with a wet washcloth and not require licking ).
Do you think that Tsu's tongue is rough enough?

turbo-1 said:
Do you think that Tsu's tongue is rough enough?

Well, THAT must be the problem! :smile:

Tsu said:
Well, THAT must be the problem! :smile:
Must be... I'm thinking that the licking time might be inversely proportional to the roughness of the tongue tongue, so you might be able to "buck up" and dedicate more time or perhaps super-glue some 220 grit sandpaper to your tongue.

lisab said:
**THUMP** (me passing out from cute overload)

(wakes up...staggers a bit...looks at Little Tyke again...)

**THUMP**

:smile::smile::smile::smile:

turbo-1 said:
Must be... I'm thinking that the licking time might be inversely proportional to the roughness of the tongue tongue, so you might be able to "buck up" and dedicate more time or perhaps super-glue some 220 grit sandpaper to your tongue.

Oh. Hmm. Well. GREAT IDEA, Turbo! (you weirdo :biggrin:) But, I don't think I have any sandpaper that course. Looks like its time to hit Home Depot again! :biggrin:

:smile: No sandpaper for Little Tyke! :bugeye: I think you can stick with a warm washcloth. *snatches up Little Tyke to save her from the crazy people*

Awww. The baby's first vet visit. Sub-q fluids are a dream. I wish we could rehydrate humans that way. I hope she continues doing well, Tsu and Ivan.

More pictures, please.

Wait 'till you see the one Ivan got today with her sitting on my arm INSIDE my bathrobe sleeve! :biggrin: I'll try to post that one tonight.

Thank you all for the warm wishes and instant attachment to our Little Tyke. We think she is pretty special and we're happy to know that you do, too. :smile:

Moonbear said:
:smile: No sandpaper for Little Tyke! :bugeye: I think you can stick with a warm washcloth. *snatches up Little Tyke to save her from the crazy people*

NO? Well, OK. Whatever Auntie Moonbear wants... :biggrin:

Tsu said:
Whatever Auntie Moonbear wants... :biggrin:

Oh goodie! Auntie Moonbear wants big snuggles with Little Tyke! :biggrin:

(And anyone want a small white dog of yet unknown breed? I found out my neighbor is trying to give away one of their dogs because she can't take care of a toddler, a husband AND the dog...they have two dogs, but I guess one came before the toddler and husband...I'm starting to think these new neighbors are a bit weird if they can just give away a cute doggy...my lifestyle doesn't work with dogs, otherwise it would already have a new home. :frown:)

Ooo Ooo. IVAN wants a puppy! :devil:

Tsu said:
Ooo Ooo. IVAN wants a puppy! :devil:

I don't think it's a puppy anymore, though. It's funny, until today, I thought they only had the one dog. Then I looked outside when I got home and I saw this adorable doggy (looks like some sort of chow mix) in MY backyard...at first I thought it was just a dog running loose, then saw a leash on it, and was wondering "What the heck?!" From looking out the window, I couldn't tell if it was someone's dog that got loose and tangled up or if someone just left a dog tied in my backyard. So, I walk outside, and realize she was actually tied up on the neigbor's side, but got under the privacy fence and didn't know how to get back. Super sweet doggy that I tried to push back under the fence, but she just wanted me to keep scritching her. So, I unhooked her leash and took hold of her collar and walked her around to the other side, at which time the neighbors came out with the other dog. The husband seemed oblivious and the wife was telling him "she's bothering the neighbor"...well, she wasn't bothering me, but she had clearly gotten herself stuck on the wrong side of the fence without being sure how to get back. But, I can't quite figure it out...the one who was stuck on my side is the "outside dog" that they want to keep, and the house dog is the one they want to give away. I don't get that. The previous neighbor was weird like that too...the dog was ALWAYS outside, and was the sweetest old girl, and I always felt sorry for the dog being left outside or in the garage all the time. How can you adopt a dog and not let it in the house?

That's just sad! I don't know how people can be that way. Why do you pick such weird neighbors? :biggrin:

Here. This should take your mind off of it.

[URL][PLAIN]http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/7651/sleevekitty1lx6.jpg

and this...

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/2340/sleevekitty2lk2.jpg

Remember to keep all boxes out of the kitty's reach. :biggrin:

Tsu said:
That's just sad! I don't know how people can be that way. Why do you pick such weird neighbors? :biggrin:

[PLAIN]http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/7651/sleevekitty1lx6.jpg[/QUOTE]

That's really precious. She looks like a little tiger cub.

Oh Tsu, she's so cute! Kittens are so much fun!

speaking of tiger cats...
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/funny-pictures-lions-tigers-bears-cats.jpg

Tsu said:

Oh heavens. What a perfect baby kitty sleeping spot that is. :smile:

Too cute. Animal babies love to cuddle up.

Ferrets love tunnels and tight places, and when I tucked them inside my fleece pullovers or sweatshirts, they would often climb up to my shoulders, and crawl down my sleeves to snooze. One day, my cousin dropped in for a visit, and when I answered the door, I had Popeye forearms with ferret "muscles" under my shirt. She thought it was hysterical.

Tsu said:
I wish I got to pick my neighbors. :rolleyes: Maybe I need to stand outside when they're showing the place and if they seem weird, I should act weirder to scare them off.

Oh, those pictures are just precious! What an adorable snuggler!

turbo-1 said:
Too cute. Animal babies love to cuddle up.

Ferrets love tunnels and tight places, and when I tucked them inside my fleece pullovers or sweatshirts, they would often climb up to my shoulders, and crawl down my sleeves to snooze. One day, my cousin dropped in for a visit, and when I answered the door, I had Popeye forearms with ferret "muscles" under my shirt. She thought it was hysterical.

:smile: I've done that with rats...other people freak out about it, but I learned it from someone else to tuck them inside your labcoat and they are all comfy and relaxed and so much easier to handle than if you're holding them just in your hands where they feel vulnerable. Burrowing animals just like sleeves (I can't explain kittens liking sleeves, but that looks like a very cozy robe she's trying to steal from her mom).

When I first started college, there was a girl who came to school with a six foot or so Boa constrictor wrapper around her belly. It slept there all day under her blouse.

Okay, not a cute story, but I bet it was cuddly.

Ivan Seeking said:
Okay, not a cute story, but I bet it was cuddly.

Or at least squishy. :biggrin:

Just a quick update to let you know that Little Tyke is doing very well. We're not sure if it was the anti-nausea meds that made the difference or if the mother's milk substitute didn't agree with her, but she is consuming and pooping mass quantities of goat's milk.

...and she pooped all by herself this morning! [All together now] Ahhhhhhhhh.

Another plus: She didn't even require training for the litter box. As soon as we put her in she immediately got the idea.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
...and she pooped all by herself this morning! [All together now] Ahhhhhhhhh.

Yep, now you're sounding like new parents, oohing and aahing over poop. :smile:

Glad she's doing well on the change of diet. Will she try canned food yet? Milk replacers are never quite perfect, and neither is the milk of the wrong species, though of course better than nothing. If she'll start nibbling a little canned food, it might just help with any imbalances in the goat milk...but she might be too young for that still.

Yes, she ate a little solid food this morning. With the tummy problems we didn't want to rush it.

As for the pooping and bottle feeding: Tsu hasn't gotten much sleep lately. :biggrin: We will be glad when she isn't quite so needy.

Last edited: