Can anyone help me solve this chessboard question?

• Thread starter SeanP
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of rearranging the pieces on a chessboard in a way that preserves their adjacency. The conversation also explores the idea of keeping certain pieces fixed in place while rearranging the rest and whether this affects the possible positions of the pieces. There is also mention of using simpler cases and a hint about covering the chessboard with dominoes. Ultimately, the question being asked is about the limitations of swapping adjacent pieces on the chessboard.
SeanP
Chessboard Question - HELP!

A chessboard is square of rectangular. Adjacent squares=squares with common side. A piece is put in each square of board, then they're picked up and put back down again in a way that the adjacent pieces are still adjacent.

If both pieces in the lefthand corner are kept in place and not picked up when the rest are rearranged (but still adjacent to each other as before), then is it possible for any piece to be in different positions the second time?

Would the answer to the above change if only one of the lfthand corner prices is kept fixed? Can this be generalised to any other piece remaining fixed on the board?

Can anyone help?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
One thing I do on many problems is try simpler cases. What about a 2x2 chessboard? Or maybe a 3x3 chessboard? Try generating all possible rearrangements (that preserve adjacency) in these...

I'm not exactly sure I understand the question. Must all but the two opposite corner pieces be moved? Basically it looks, from experience, as though you're attempting to pair up adjacent squares, ie by covering the two pieces you swap with a domino. In this case you're doing the famous 'can you cover a chess board with dominoes question'. Hint if two squares are adjacent and one's white, what must the other one be?

I don't understand your reference to swapping with a domino.
The other one must be black.

I am saying if you swap two adjacent pieces, cover their squares with a domino. But I'm not sure I understand the instructions you originally gave. Suppose we've got this set up, and I swap the piece on one square with one next to it. Am I allowed in a subsequent swap to move either of those pieces again, or have they had their move and that's that, you move on and swap another pair, if any.

If, once you've swapped over two pieces that's their move done and they can take no further part in the operation (which I think must be the case or the questions easy to answer) then when you swap a pair of pieces, one's on a white square the other is ona black square, can you see how that might help? I'm not sure that is answering your question though, now. So forget it. In fact I'm certain it doesn't - the penny has dropped and I now see what you're asking, and this isn't the answer (at least it wasn't intended to be, if it does solve it it's a fluke).

Last edited:

1. What is the Chessboard Question?

The Chessboard Question is a mathematical problem that involves placing a certain number of coins on a chessboard in a specific formation. It is often used to test critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How many coins are needed for the Chessboard Question?

The number of coins needed for the Chessboard Question varies depending on the variation of the problem. In the classic version, 64 coins are needed, as that is the number of squares on a standard chessboard. However, in other variations, a different number of coins may be used.

3. What is the objective of the Chessboard Question?

The objective of the Chessboard Question is to find the minimum number of moves required to arrange the coins on the chessboard in a specific pattern. This pattern can vary, but the most common one is having each coin adjacent to at least two other coins.

4. Is there a specific strategy for solving the Chessboard Question?

Yes, there are several strategies that can be used to solve the Chessboard Question. These include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, using visual aids, and trying different patterns until a solution is found. It is also important to think critically and logically when approaching this problem.

5. What real-world applications does the Chessboard Question have?

The Chessboard Question has many real-world applications, especially in the fields of mathematics and computer science. It can help develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and logical reasoning. It can also be used to optimize resource allocation in fields such as logistics and transportation.