Interview with a Biophysicist: Andy Resnick - Comments

In summary, a biophysicist interviewed by Andy talked about his experience working on a PBS show about the early universe and how it inspired him to pursue a career in physics. Michael Turner, the person interviewed, told the biophysicist that he was sorry he got the biophysicist interested in physics and then the biophysicist fell into a hole.
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

Interview with a Biophysicist: Andy Resnick

andyresnick-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
@Andy Resnick btw, is the GoPro waterproof?

Not by itself. All those cameras come with a plastic enclosure, tho, and when used correctly the camera can be used underwater no problem. Not sure how deep it can go- I've only taken it down 4 feet at most. When I'm done I wash the (still enclosed) camera off with fresh water to get any sand/salt/crud off, then dry and open the enclosure. Sometimes there's a bit of sand in the gaskets, easily brushed off.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
What happened with Michael Turner (who is he)?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
atyy said:
What happened with Michael Turner (who is he)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Turner_(cosmologist)

Here's the whole humiliating story- for what it's worth, he probably has no recollection of this.

There was a series on public television titled (I think) "The Early Universe" that came out when I was 14 or 15, Michael was one of the talking heads on the show. Watching it, I immediately lost interest in everything non-physics: from that moment, I knew exactly what I wanted to do for a career.

Now fast-forward 20 years, I'm at a public lecture given by Steve Weinberg. After his talk, there was a wine-and-cheese social event that I wandered into (for the free wine), and I'm looking around the room and who do I see? Michael Turner. I start gushing to my friends about how I saw this show when I was a kid, he was on it, blah blah blah. So they convince to go and tell him how much the show meant to me. I should mention that none of us were inebriated at all- I went though this stone sober.

I take a deep breath, tell myself he may enjoy hearing how he made a difference in some kid's life, and start walking. I introduce myself, tell him how that PBS show made me interested in physics, and I just wanted to personally thank him for inspiring me.

He looks right at me, very serious. He says: "I'm sorry I got you interested in physics".

Then this giant hole in the Earth opened up and I fell in.

True story. I've since convinced myself that his comment was meant to be a light-hearted joke.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Andy Resnick said:
He looks right at me and says: "I'm sorry I got you interested in physics".
Why would he say this other than a joke?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Why would he say this other than a joke?

Well, yes. (Edit- now it's a funny story!) At the time though, it didn't seem like it. He wasn't laughing, for example. Not even smiling.

Andy Resnick said:
Well, yes. At the time though, it didn't seem like it. He wasn't laughing, for example. Not even smiling.
haha awkward :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
haha awkward :biggrin:

Exactly! Mr. Rogers would be nicer to me :)

Andy Resnick said:
Exactly! Mr. Rogers would be nicer to me :)
Boring! Awkward always makes for a good story :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Boring! Awkward always makes for a good story :biggrin:

Comedy: when something bad happens to someone else.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

Related to Interview with a Biophysicist: Andy Resnick - Comments

1. What is biophysics and what is its significance in the scientific community?

Biophysics is a multidisciplinary field that combines principles from physics and biology to study biological systems at the molecular, cellular, and organismal levels. It is significant because it provides a quantitative and mechanistic understanding of biological processes, which is crucial for developing new treatments and technologies in medicine and agriculture.

2. Can you tell us about your research in biophysics and its potential impact?

My research focuses on using computational and experimental techniques to understand the structure and function of proteins and their interactions in living systems. This has the potential to lead to new insights into diseases and the development of novel therapies and diagnostic tools.

3. What inspired you to pursue a career in biophysics?

I have always been fascinated by the complex and dynamic nature of living systems and wanted to understand the underlying physical principles that govern them. Biophysics allows me to bridge the gap between physics and biology, and make meaningful contributions in both fields.

4. How do you see the field of biophysics evolving in the future?

I believe that biophysics will continue to grow and play a critical role in advancing our understanding of biological systems. With the development of new technologies and techniques, we will be able to delve deeper into the complex structures and processes of living organisms, leading to groundbreaking discoveries and applications.

5. What advice do you have for students interested in pursuing a career in biophysics?

My advice would be to gain a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and biology. It is also important to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and be open to interdisciplinary collaborations. Keep up with the latest research and technologies in the field, and never stop asking questions and exploring new ideas.