Interview with a Theoretical Physicist: Carlo Rovelli - Comments

In summary, the interviewer had difficulty asking Rovelli about his own work, and instead focused on his competitors. Rovelli's book is ranked #9 on Amazon, which is surprising given the interview's focus on his competitors.
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

Interview with a Theoretical Physicist: Carlo Rovelli

carlo-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes QuantumQuest, fuzzyfelt, Pepper Mint and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
What a complete waste. Don't you have any desire to ask him about, I don't know, his own ideas? Or any kind of substantive question at all, instead of just his competitors?

I don't understand the desire to keep waging this battle against string theory, supersymmetry and every other idea other than what Rovelli works on. Surely nobody is illuminated by the entirely negative message, let alone convinced. Surely nobody is laboring under the misimpression that Rovelli's approaches have been any more successful at making unique predictions or being experimentally observed than his competitors – quite the opposite if anything.

One is left with the impression that Rovelli's thoughts on physics are defined by what he is against rather than for, though I'm sure that has much to do with the terrible job by the interviewer. One also gets the impression the interviewer hasn't heard of anything interesting happening in theoretical physics over the past decade besides arguments about string wars and multiverses. I'm sorry if that's the case.

Great interview!
Thanks, Greg. It goes right to the heart of things I think Rovelli cares about and gives a sense of what he's like. You get a good idea of his views on some of the foremost issues facing science (in particular, physics) today.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Happy Birthday! :oldtongue:

Just now I checked to the Amazon page for Rovelli's book. it www #9 among all the books Amazon sells:
==quote==
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #9 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
#1 in Books > Science & Math > Physics
#1 in Books > Science & Math > Astronomy & Space Science > Cosmology
#1 in Books > Textbooks > Science & Mathematics > Physics
==endquote==

I've never seen a physics book rank that high. It's phenomenal! Surely some congratulations are in order. Great going Carlo!

Great interview and beautiful book!

Related to Interview with a Theoretical Physicist: Carlo Rovelli - Comments

1. What are the main areas of research that Carlo Rovelli focuses on?

Carlo Rovelli's main areas of research are quantum gravity and the foundations of quantum mechanics. He is also interested in the nature of time, black holes, and the relationship between physics and philosophy.

2. How has Carlo Rovelli's work contributed to our understanding of the universe?

Rovelli's work has contributed significantly to our understanding of the universe by proposing a new theory of quantum gravity called loop quantum gravity. This theory attempts to reconcile the principles of quantum mechanics with the principles of general relativity, providing a potential solution to the long-standing problem of unifying these two fundamental theories of physics.

3. What is the significance of Rovelli's theory of loop quantum gravity?

Rovelli's theory of loop quantum gravity has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe and provide a more complete and coherent picture of the fundamental laws that govern it. It also has implications for other areas of physics, such as the study of black holes and the early universe.

4. How does Rovelli's background in philosophy influence his approach to physics?

Rovelli's background in philosophy has led him to take a more conceptual and philosophical approach to physics, rather than focusing solely on mathematical equations. This has allowed him to question and challenge traditional assumptions and theories, leading to new insights and perspectives in his research.

5. What advice does Carlo Rovelli have for aspiring physicists?

Rovelli's advice for aspiring physicists is to not be afraid to question established theories and to think outside the box. He also encourages young scientists to pursue their passion and curiosity, rather than simply following the mainstream trends in their field. Finally, he emphasizes the importance of interdisciplinary collaboration and being open to different perspectives and ideas.