Interval of convergence for Taylor series exp of 1/x^2

In summary: This is the same as saying that the Taylor series expansion for 1/x^2 is in the form f(x) = 1 + x^2 + x^4 + ... + x^n
nomadreid
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The interval of convergence of the Taylor series expansion of 1/x^2, knowing that the interval of convergence of the Taylor series of 1/x centered at 1 is (0,2)

Homework Equations

If I is the interval of convergence of the expansion of f(x) , and one substitutes a finite polynomial g(x) in for x to get the expansion of f(g(x)) in terms of x, then the interval of convergence changes from I to {x:g(x) in I}

The Attempt at a Solution

So it would seem that going from 1/x , with interval of convergence (0,2), to 1/x^2 one would get the new interval of convergence =(-√2,0)∪(0,√2). But this is not a single interval, and it would seem to have two centers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moved from Precalc section -- questions about Taylor series pertain to calculus.
nomadreid said:

Homework Statement

The interval of convergence of the Taylor series expansion of 1/x^2, knowing that the interval of convergence of the Taylor series of 1/x centered at 1 is (0,2)

Homework Equations

If I is the interval of convergence of the expansion of f(x) , and one substitutes a finite polynomial g(x) in for x to get the expansion of f(g(x)) in terms of x, then the interval of convergence changes from I to {x:g(x) in I}

The Attempt at a Solution

So it would seem that going from 1/x , with interval of convergence (0,2), to 1/x^2 one would get the new interval of convergence =(-√2,0)∪(0,√2). But this is not a single interval, and it would seem to have two centers.
The Taylor series for 1/x here is centered at 1, which means that the Taylor series will be in powers of (x - 1). The same will be true of the series for 1/x2. IOW, 1 will be in the middle of the interval. That is not the case with your assumed intervals.

Likes nomadreid
Ah, thanks, Mark44. On one side that makes sense, but on the other side I am worried about the implication that my principle
"If I is the interval of convergence of the expansion of f(x) , and one substitutes a finite polynomial g(x) in for x to get the expansion of f(g(x)) in terms of x, then the interval of convergence changes from I to {x:g(x) in I}"
on the procedure of obtaining a Taylor series expansion for f(g(x)) by replacing g(x)=y into the expansion for f(y). On the face of it, the principle appears reasonable, but apparently from your answer this principle is not valid. If we allow a value k for x in the new interval of convergence which would make g(k) lie outside of the original one, then replacing g(k) into the original series would lead to divergence, no? For example, in this case, if the interval of convergence of 1/x2 is the same as that of 1/x, then 1.9 would be one of the values allowed for the expansion of 1/x2 , which would then allow (1.9)2 = 3.61 to be one of the values to be put into the expansion of 1/x, but 3.61 would then make the series for 1/x diverge. But my reasoning here must be faulty. I would be grateful for corrections.

nomadreid said:
Ah, thanks, Mark44. On one side that makes sense, but on the other side I am worried about the implication that my principle
"If I is the interval of convergence of the expansion of f(x) , and one substitutes a finite polynomial g(x) in for x to get the expansion of f(g(x)) in terms of x, then the interval of convergence changes from I to {x:g(x) in I}"
Is this a theorem? When you say "my principle" it makes me think that this is something you're hypothesizing. If this is a theorem somewhere (and hence, proven), it's not something I recall seeing, but then the last time I taught calculus was bout 17 years ago.
nomadreid said:
on the procedure of obtaining a Taylor series expansion for f(g(x)) by replacing g(x)=y into the expansion for f(y). On the face of it, the principle appears reasonable, but apparently from your answer this principle is not valid. If we allow a value k for x in the new interval of convergence which would make g(k) lie outside of the original one, then replacing g(k) into the original series would lead to divergence, no? For example, in this case, if the interval of convergence of 1/x2 is the same as that of 1/x, then 1.9 would be one of the values allowed for the expansion of 1/x2 , which would then allow (1.9)2 = 3.61 to be one of the values to be put into the expansion of 1/x, but 3.61 would then make the series for 1/x diverge.
I'm going to take it at face value that the Taylor series for 1/x, in powers of x - 1, has an interval of convergence of (0, 2) -- i.e., that the radius of this interval is 1. I would guess, without a whole lot of justification, that the Taylor series for 1/x2 is the same interval. If you choose x = 1.9, that's a value inside this interval, so the series for 1/x2 should converge for that choice of x. I don't see that it's relevant that x2 happens to be 3.61. That's not the x value.
nomadreid said:
But my reasoning here must be faulty. I would be grateful for corrections.

Likes nomadreid
Mark44 said:
Is this a theorem? When you say "my principle" it makes me think that this is something you're hypothesizing.
You're right, it is not a proven theorem, but my (apparently false) hypothesis (my reasoning is explained below). I am actually more interested to know why this hypothesis is false than finding out this particular expansion, which I just selected as an example.
Mark44 said:
I don't see that it's relevant that x2 happens to be 3.61.
I was thinking that, using the method (gleaned from 3:08-3:15 of ) of substituting g(x) =y in the expansion of f(y), you would substitute g(x) everywhere for y:
that is, f(y) =... for y in (a,b) translates to
f(g(x)) = ... for g(x) in (a,b).

To take this specific example again,
1/y = Σ(y-1)n for y in (0,2)
1/x2=Σ(x2-1)n for x2 in (0,2)

nomadreid said:
If we allow a value k for x in the new interval of convergence which would make g(k) lie outside of the original one, then replacing g(k) into the original series would lead to divergence, no? For example, in this case, if the interval of convergence of 1/x2 is the same as that of 1/x, then 1.9 would be one of the values allowed for the expansion of 1/x2 , which would then allow (1.9)2 = 3.61 to be one of the values to be put into the expansion of 1/x, but 3.61 would then make the series for 1/x diverge. But my reasoning here must be faulty. I would be grateful for corrections.
When it comes to convergence of the series, the relevant quantity is ##x-1##, not ##x##, because the series for 1/x is centered about x=1. If you replace ##x## with ##x^2## in the series for 1/x, it will converge if ##-1 < x^2-1 < 1##. Note, however, that you no longer have a series centered about ##x=1##.
\begin{align*}
\frac 1x &= \frac{1}{1+(x-1)} = 1-(x-1)+(x-1)^2-(x-1)^3+\cdots \\
\frac 1{x^2} &= 1-(x^2-1)+(x^2-1)^2-(x^2-1)^3+\cdots
\end{align*} To get the series for ##1/x^2## that's centered about x=1, you want to differentiate the series for 1/x.
$$\frac 1{x^2} = -\frac{d}{dx} \frac 1x = 1-2(x-1)+3(x-1)^2-\cdots.$$ This series converges on (0,2).

Likes nomadreid
Super! Thanks, Vela. For the example I gave (1/x2), it is now clear how to get a new series as the old one with the same interval of convergence. However, suppose I do not insist that I end up with the same interval of convergence: then, would the substitution give me a valid expansion, that is, as in your answer,
vela said:
=1−(x2−1)+(x2−1)2−(x2−1)3+⋯
?
with an interval of convergence of
vela said:
−1<x2−1<1
?
(although wouldn't you have to take out zero from this interval?)

It should be immediate that, since both [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{1}{x^2}[/itex] are analytic everywhere except at x= 0, the interval of convergence will go "up to" x= 0. The interval of convergence of either, for a Taylor series centered at x= a, is (0, 2a).

Likes nomadreid
Thank you, HallsofIvy. So I now have two nice convergent series, each with a different interval of convergence, for the same function (out of an uncountably infinite number of series expansions, but perhaps only a countable number of them are "nice", whatever that would mean :woot: )

nomadreid said:
Super! Thanks, Vela. For the example I gave (1/x2), it is now clear how to get a new series as the old one with the same interval of convergence. However, suppose I do not insist that I end up with the same interval of convergence: then, would the substitution give me a valid expansion
Sure, why not? For any x such that ##\lvert x^2-1 \rvert < 1##, the partial sums will be the same as those for the series for 1/u evaluated at ##u=x^2-1##, and we know the latter series will converge. The thing is, the expansion isn't a Taylor series because each term isn't of the form ##c_n(x-1)^n##. You can do some algebra to convert it to that form, but then you'd end up with a different series with a different interval of convergence.

(although wouldn't you have to take out zero from this interval?)
x=0 isn't in the interval.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, vela! That puts the cap on it. All clear.

Related to Interval of convergence for Taylor series exp of 1/x^2

What is an interval of convergence for a Taylor series?

The interval of convergence for a Taylor series is the range of values for which the series will converge, or approach a finite value, when the number of terms in the series approaches infinity. It is typically expressed as a range of x values.

How is an interval of convergence determined for a Taylor series?

The interval of convergence can be determined by using the ratio test or the root test on the series. These tests involve evaluating the limit of the ratio or root of the absolute value of the terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series will converge within that interval of x values.

What is the formula for the Taylor series expansion of exp(1/x^2)?

The Taylor series expansion of exp(1/x^2) is: 1 + 1/x^2 + 1/(2!x^4) + 1/(3!x^6) + ..., which can be written in sigma notation as ∑ (1/n!x^(2n)). This series represents the function exp(1/x^2) when the number of terms approaches infinity.

What is the radius of convergence for the Taylor series exp(1/x^2)?

The radius of convergence for the Taylor series exp(1/x^2) is infinity, meaning that the series will converge for all values of x. This is because the function exp(1/x^2) is analytic and has no singularities.

What is the significance of the interval of convergence for a Taylor series?

The interval of convergence is important because it tells us for which values of x the Taylor series will accurately approximate the original function. Outside of this interval, the series may not converge or may give inaccurate results. It also allows us to approximate functions that may be difficult to evaluate directly.