Intersection and Addition of Subspaces

In summary, the conversation discussed a proof involving a set S and its linear independence in relation to a set T. The method proposed involved starting with a basis for the set V and using that to determine the basis for S, then utilizing a similar process to find the basis for T. The process was proven to eventually end because V is finite.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/3849/screenshot20120122at124.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]S = \left\{ S_1,...,S_n \right\} [/itex]. If [itex]L(S) = V[/itex], then [itex]T = \left\{ 0 \right\}[/itex] and we are done because [itex]S + T = V[/itex]. Suppose that [itex]L(S) ≠ V[/itex]. Let [itex]B_1 \in T[/itex] such that [itex]B_1 \notin L(S)[/itex]. Then the set [itex]Q =\left\{ S_1,...,S_n,B_1 \right\}[/itex] is linearly independent. If [itex]L(Q) = V[/itex] then we are done since [itex]S + T = V[/itex] and [itex] S \cap T[/itex] [itex]= \left\{ 0 \right\} [/itex]. If not, then we may repeat the preceding argument beginning with the set Q. Thus, we would create a new set, call it Q', where [itex]Q' = \left\{ S_1,...,S_n,B_1,B_2 \right\}[/itex] and [itex]B_1,B_2 \notin S[/itex]. Then, if [itex]L(Q') = V[/itex], then we are done. If not, then we continue as above. This process must certainly end because V is itself stated to be finite. Thus, such a T as in the problem must exist.

I think I'm going in the right direction, but I'm not sure if I'm executing the proof correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I see where you are going, and you have the right concept. To be a bit clearer, how about starting with a basis for V, and let some part of that basis be the basis for S. Then go from there.

Sorry, but TranscendArc's method is better. You can't simply assume that there exist a basis for V that includes a basis for S. It is true, of course, but TranscendArc's method proves that.

Related to Intersection and Addition of Subspaces

1. What is the intersection of subspaces?

The intersection of subspaces refers to the set of all elements that are common to two or more subspaces. In other words, it is the overlapping region between the subspaces.

2. How is the intersection of subspaces calculated?

The intersection of subspaces is calculated by finding the common basis vectors between the subspaces. These basis vectors are then used to create a new set of basis vectors for the intersection subspace.

3. What is the significance of the intersection of subspaces?

The intersection of subspaces is significant because it allows us to understand the relationship between two or more subspaces. It can also help us determine if two subspaces are the same or different.

4. What is the addition of subspaces?

The addition of subspaces refers to the process of combining two or more subspaces to create a larger subspace. This is done by finding all the possible linear combinations of the basis vectors from each subspace.

5. How is the addition of subspaces calculated?

The addition of subspaces is calculated by finding the basis vectors of each subspace and then combining them to create a new set of basis vectors for the larger subspace. This process is similar to finding the intersection of subspaces, but with the added step of combining the basis vectors.