Interpretation of differentiation results

In summary: Equation 4 is a derivative of equation 2. Y is more sensitive to a change in M than K is because K is a constant while Y changes with M.
musicgold

Homework Statement

Please see the attached file. I am trying to understand the sensitivity of two related variables - Y and K - to an independent variable M.

a. Is my differentiation of equation 2 correct?
b. I can see that, based on eq. 4, K is more senstive to M than Y is, however I am not sure if I can quantify the difference. Would I be able to do that using the actual values of the constants - N, D, i, and G?
c. How should I describe the dependency of K on M?

Homework Equations

Equations 1 and 2 in the attached file define Y and K. Equations 3 and 4 are derivatives of eqn. 1 and 2, respectively.

The Attempt at a Solution

The attached file shows my work.

Attachments

• Derivatives question 2015 March.pdf
    50.6 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
part a looks ok to me. not sure what you mean by sensitivity here. is it something to do with the size of the derivative?

fourier jr said:
not sure what you mean by sensitivity here. is it something to do with the size of the derivative?
Thanks. Yes, by sensitivity I meant how quickly K is changing with a unit change in M.

For dependency, I think it is also valuable to look at asymptotics. Test ##M\to 0+, M\to 0-, M\to +\infty, M\to -\infty## and maybe some other values that make sense, maybe ##M = -D##.

musicgold said:

Homework Statement

Please see the attached file. I am trying to understand the sensitivity of two related variables - Y and K - to an independent variable M.

a. Is my differentiation of equation 2 correct?
b. I can see that, based on eq. 4, K is more sensitive to M than Y is, however I am not sure if I can quantify the difference. Would I be able to do that using the actual values of the constants - N, D, i, and G?
c. How should I describe the dependency of K on M?

Homework Equations

Equations 1 and 2 in the attached file define Y and K. Equations 3 and 4 are derivatives of eqn. 1 and 2, respectively.

The Attempt at a Solution

The attached file shows my work.
Capture3.PNG

Notice that you can write K as:
##\displaystyle k=y\cdot\frac{M+D}{M}-\frac{D\cdot i}{M}##​

Then, substitute y into that.

RUber said:
For dependency, I think it is also valuable to look at asymptotics. Test ##M\to 0+, M\to 0-, M\to +\infty, M\to -\infty## and maybe some other values that make sense, maybe ##M = -D##.
All variables are non negative. Here are some examples, N=5, D =50, y=7%, i = 4%, G =0.5.

1. I wish to find out, at any particular value of M, say 60, whether y is more sensitive to a unit change in M than k is. How should I do that?

2. I can visualize how function 3 will look but that is not true about to function 4. What kind of function is it? It has four M values in the denominator, two of which are squared. How should I think about such a complicated equation?

if the derivative is larger, it is more sensitive.
Note that dy/dM = -N/(D+M)^2, so if M is 60, you have -N/(D^2+M*) where M*>3600. This is small. If M is 1, the you have -N(D^2+2D+1), so D is much more important.
Use these same principles when looking at dk/dM.
Usually, you can fix all the variables in the equation and only vary one at a time to see what the function does.

Related to Interpretation of differentiation results

1. What is differentiation and why is it important in science?

Differentiation is the process by which cells become specialized to perform specific functions in the body. It is important because it allows for the development and maintenance of complex organisms with different types of tissues and cells.

2. How is differentiation measured in scientific experiments?

Differentiation can be measured in various ways, depending on the type of cells being studied. Some common methods include analyzing gene expression patterns, observing changes in cell morphology, and measuring the production of specific proteins or enzymes.

3. What factors can influence the results of differentiation experiments?

The results of differentiation experiments can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as the type of cells being studied, the culture conditions, the presence of growth factors or signaling molecules, and genetic or environmental factors.

4. How do scientists interpret differentiation results?

Interpretation of differentiation results involves analyzing and comparing the data obtained from the experiment with previous studies or known information about the cells being studied. Scientists also consider the methods used and potential sources of error to ensure the accuracy and validity of the results.

5. Can differentiation be reversed or manipulated in cells?

Yes, in some cases, differentiation can be reversed or manipulated in cells through the use of specific techniques or substances. This is an active area of research in fields such as regenerative medicine and cell therapy.