Internal resistance of a cell varying with power drawn

In summary, internal resistance of a cell is the resistance within the cell that opposes the flow of electric current, caused by the materials used in the cell. This resistance increases as the power drawn from the cell increases, due to chemical reactions that decrease the concentration of active materials. It is important to understand this relationship because it affects the performance of the cell. The internal resistance can be measured using a voltmeter and an ammeter, and can be affected by factors such as materials, temperature, age, power drawn, and current flow.
CharanV
If we continue to draw a specific amount of power from a cell (re-chargable), how will the internal resistance of the cell vary? Is there any particular mathematical relation between them? Please help me understand

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Here is a sample for NIMH rechargable batteries.
c13_01.gif

It doesn't look like any simple mathematical relationship to me. Strictly empirical.

I used to fly electric powered model aircraft in competitions and we would improve performance by warming up the NiMh cells. I'm not sure if increasing the temperature increased the voltage or reduced the internal resistance as the effect is similar.

Related to Internal resistance of a cell varying with power drawn

1. What is internal resistance of a cell?

Internal resistance of a cell refers to the resistance within the cell itself that opposes the flow of electric current. It is caused by the resistance of the materials used in the cell, such as electrodes and electrolytes.

2. How does the internal resistance of a cell vary with power drawn?

The internal resistance of a cell increases as the power drawn from the cell increases. This is due to the increase in chemical reactions within the cell, which leads to a decrease in the concentration of active materials and an increase in resistance.

3. Why is it important to understand the relationship between internal resistance and power drawn?

Understanding the relationship between internal resistance and power drawn is important because it affects the performance of a cell. Higher internal resistance can lead to a decrease in voltage and power output, which can impact the efficiency and reliability of the cell.

4. How can the internal resistance of a cell be measured?

The internal resistance of a cell can be measured using a voltmeter and an ammeter. By measuring the voltage and current across the cell at different power levels, the internal resistance can be calculated using Ohm's law (R = V/I).

5. What factors can affect the internal resistance of a cell?

The internal resistance of a cell can be affected by various factors, including the type of materials used in the cell, the temperature, and the age of the cell. Additionally, the power drawn from the cell and the current flow can also impact the internal resistance.