How to choose the discharge time of a rechargeable battery

In summary, the internal resistance of a rechargeable battery is a nonlinear function of temperature, current, and SOC. To determine an appropriate discharge time for calculating the internal resistance, one must consider the varying current profile and choose an "equivalent discharge time" that takes this variation into account. This can be calculated using data from existing experimental results and a 3D lookup table.
CharanV
I am working on a project which involves rechargeable batteries. To calculate the variations in the internal resistance of the battery, i used data from the existing experimental results to establish an approximate value for the internal resistance as a function of the SOC, discharge time and the temperature (effectively a 3D lookup table). At any given instant, the power demanded from the battery is known and the current profile (w.r.t time) is also known. The SOC can also be calculated. But I am not sure how to calculate/choose an appropriate discharge time w.r.t which the resistance can be determined. Can someone please help me understand it or point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
CharanV said:
how to calculate/choose an appropriate discharge time w.r.t which the resistance can be determine

I don't understand your question. Internal resistance is not a single number, it is a nonlinear function of temperature, current, and SOC. In what sense do you mean "appropriate"?

Graph_Internal-Resistance.jpg

You could calculate the discharge time from the SOC and time. If it's taken 10mins to discharge to 50% then the likely discharge time is 20min. If it takes 2 days to discharge 25% then the likely discharge time is 8 days.

anorlunda said:
I don't understand your question. Internal resistance is not a single number, it is a nonlinear function of temperature, current, and SOC. In what sense do you mean "appropriate"?

View attachment 129442

Hey anorlunda! I understand that the internal resistance is a function of temperature, current and SOC. It also happens to be a function of the discharge time. For example, for a given value of temperature, SOC and current at any instant, the value of the IR will vary depending on whether the discharge time is taken to be 1 second, 2 seconds, or any other time. My question was whether we have any method to determine the value of the discharge time that we need to use for this purpose. That is what i meant by "appropriate".
Thanks

What do you mean by "discharge time" ?

a) The time for which you have been discharging the cell or
b) The time for which the cell can supply a constant current (eg related to it's capacity).

CWatters said:
What do you mean by "discharge time" ?

a) The time for which you have been discharging the cell or
b) The time for which the cell can supply a constant current (eg related to it's capacity).

Hey CWatters. By "discharge time", I meant the time for which i have been discharging the cell.

Thanks

Doesn't that answer your question then?

CWatters said:
It shows how to calculate the total discharge time of the cell for a given current. But my question essentially was how long should the cell be discharged to get a particular power (no need to discharge completely). Basically,the requirement is to choose a value from a look-up table of how long a cell should be discharged to calculate the corresponding internal resistance

CWatters said:

I think I should rephrase the question a bit.

My question was not to just decide the time it will take for it to be discharged. I wanted to understand if i can incorporate varying current into choosing an appropriate value of the discharge time. For example, if the current is constant over time (say, 20A), for the first instant, i can consider the discharge time as, say 0.1 sec (assuming that is the least value of time that can be measured) and the discharge time to be 0.2s for the next instant and so on. But in the case of a varying current, i can still choose the discharge time as 0.1 for the 1st instant(20A). But for the next instant (say the current required is 25A now) i cannot choose 0.2s as the discharge time as that would mean that a current of 25A has been flowing for 0.2s when actually, it is 20A for the first 0.1s and 25A for the next 0.1s. I wanted to know if there is any method to determine a "equivalent discharge time" taking this variation into account.

Related to How to choose the discharge time of a rechargeable battery

1. How do I determine the appropriate discharge time for my rechargeable battery?

The discharge time of a rechargeable battery depends on several factors such as the battery capacity, the device it is being used in, and the desired usage time. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's specifications and guidelines for the battery and device to determine the recommended discharge time.

2. Can I discharge my rechargeable battery for extended periods of time?

Discharging a rechargeable battery for extended periods of time can lead to battery damage and reduced battery life. It is important to follow the recommended discharge time as specified by the manufacturer to ensure the longevity and optimal performance of the battery.

3. How do I know when it is time to recharge my battery?

Most rechargeable batteries come with a built-in battery indicator that will alert you when the battery needs to be recharged. This can be in the form of a low battery warning or a flashing light. It is important to recharge the battery as soon as possible to avoid over-discharging.

4. Is it better to fully discharge my battery before recharging?

It is not necessary to fully discharge a rechargeable battery before recharging. In fact, it is recommended to avoid fully discharging the battery as it can lead to reduced battery capacity and performance over time. It is best to recharge the battery when it reaches around 20-30% of its capacity.

5. Can I use my device while the battery is charging?

It is generally safe to use your device while the battery is charging. However, it is important to note that the charging time may be longer and the battery may not reach its full capacity if the device is being used while charging. It is best to avoid heavy usage of the device while the battery is charging.