Interference - Q done, is it right?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a mathematical problem and provides a solution with multiple frequencies. The original diagram is also corrected and a grateful response is given for the help.
Flucky
Hi all, I have a question here that I've done but it hasn't got an answer provided. I'm sure it's easy stuff but haven't looked at this material in a while so
just want to double check.

(The things in red are what I added to the original diagram)

intereferenceexampleQ.jpg

RE-DONE

d = √17

d + λ/2 = 2√5

λ/2 = 2√5 -d

λ = 4√5 -2(√17)

λ = 0.698m

Using v=fλ

∴f = 340/0.698 = 487 Hz

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]d=\sqrt{1^2+4^2}=\sqrt{17}[/itex]

szynkasz said:
[itex]d=\sqrt{1^2+4^2}=\sqrt{17}[/itex]

Woops, muppet at work. No idea how that came about, thanks.

Looking over it I've done a couple of very stupid errors such as line 4.

First post RE-DONE

Last edited:
Correct, but you get more frequencies:

[itex](2n-1)\frac{\lambda}{2}=d\Rightarrow f=(2n-1)\frac{v}{2d},\,n=1,2,3,...[/itex]

szynkasz said:
Correct, but you get more frequencies:

[itex](2n-1)\frac{\lambda}{2}=d\Rightarrow f=(2n-1)\frac{v}{2d},\,n=1,2,3,...[/itex]

Thanks a lot, big help

Related to Interference - Q done, is it right?

1. What is interference?

Interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves overlap and interact with each other. This results in either an increase or decrease in the amplitude of the resulting wave, depending on the phase relationship between the waves.

2. How is interference measured?

Interference is typically measured by calculating the interference pattern, which is the result of the interaction between the waves. This can be done by using mathematical equations or by performing experiments and measuring the resulting wave amplitudes.

3. What causes interference?

Interference is caused by the superposition of waves. When two or more waves meet, they combine to form a new wave. The resulting wave is determined by the amplitude and phase relationship of the original waves.

4. What are the types of interference?

There are two main types of interference: constructive and destructive. Constructive interference occurs when the waves are in phase and their amplitudes add up, resulting in a larger wave. Destructive interference occurs when the waves are out of phase and their amplitudes cancel each other out, resulting in a smaller wave.

5. How is interference used in science and technology?

Interference is used in various fields of science and technology, such as optics, acoustics, and radio communication. It is used to create and manipulate interference patterns to study wave behavior and to improve signal processing and transmission in various devices.