Ripple Tank, Double Slit: Waves

In summary, a double-slit interference experiment was conducted in a ripple tank with a wave speed of 0.012 m/s and a frequency of 5.20 Hz. The slits were 6.00 cm apart and a viewing screen was placed 2.15 m away. The location of the second order minimum, the second time destructive interference occurs, can be found using the equation Y = (m + 1/2)(λ*R/d) with a value of 2.06E-1 m. This can also be calculated by using the expression Y = mRλ/d and considering that the first and second minima will be located at 3Rλ/2d.
smithisize

Homework Statement

A double-slit interference experiment is done in a ripple tank (a water tank using a vibrating rod to produce a plane wave on the surface of the water). The slits are 6.00 cm apart, and a viewing screen is 2.15 m from the slits. The wave speed of the ripples in water is 0.012 m/s, and the frequency of the rod producing the ripples is 5.20 Hz. How far from the centerline of the screen will a second order minimum be found? The second order minimum is the second time that destructive interference happens.

Homework Equations

Y = (m + 1/2)(λ*R/d)
λ= v/f

The Attempt at a Solution

Y = (2 + .5) * ((.012*2.15)/(5.2*.06)) = 2.06E-1 m

If I'm understanding this equation correctly, Y = distance from central fringe. M = xth order minimum/maximum. R= distance from slits to screen. d= distance between slits.
I'm doing something wrong though, somehow!

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the expression for the locations of the maxima? There must be a minimum between each maximum and the next.

Yeah. To find a max it should be:

Y = mRλ/d

I'm trying to visualize how that's helpful.

So, if ~~~ is destructive and whitespace is constructive, this is what I'm imagining:

| |~~~~~| |~~~~~| |

If finding the location of the 2nd order fringe (aka max) would be measuring from the first | to the 3rd | (so measuring from the beginning of the first fringe to the beginning of the second fringe).

How can I combine the distances between fringes to find location of the min? Having a hard time wrapping my mind around this one for some reason.

EDIT: Well, I'm slightly confused. The equation specified in the OP may or may not only be used to find the location of an nth order FRINGE, while creating destructive interference, and the equation in this post might serve the same function, but for when the waves are creating constructive interference. I'm not sure, frankly :/ trying to think it out.

Last edited:
If the first maximum is on the axis at Y=0, and the second at Y=Rλ/d, and the third at Y=2Rλ/d, where must the first and second minima lie?

3Rλ/2d

Since the minimum is halfway between both maximums. Meaning, Rλ/d + Rλ/2d = 3Rλ/3d

Thanks, I appreciate it. Brain is about quitting on me, sorry I didn't get it more quickly!

No problem. The basic problem is that "second order minimum" is slightly ambiguous given that the indexing parameter starts at zero. Your original m=2 is not unreasonable if you count zeroth-first-second, but neither is m=1 if you argue m=0 is first, m=1 is second.

Related to Ripple Tank, Double Slit: Waves

1. What is a ripple tank?

A ripple tank is a scientific apparatus used to study the behavior of waves. It consists of a shallow tank filled with water, a light source, and a screen or paper placed behind the tank to capture the waves' patterns.

2. How does a ripple tank work?

A ripple tank works by creating waves on the surface of the water using a vibrating source. These waves then travel through the water and interact with any obstacles in their path, creating patterns that can be observed on the screen or paper behind the tank.

3. What is the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a classic physics experiment used to demonstrate the wave-like nature of light. It involves passing light through two parallel slits and observing the interference patterns created on a screen behind them.

4. How is the double-slit experiment related to the ripple tank?

The double-slit experiment is related to the ripple tank because both demonstrate the wave-like behavior of light and other types of waves. In the ripple tank, the vibrating source creates waves that interfere with each other, producing patterns similar to those seen in the double-slit experiment.

5. What can we learn from studying the double-slit experiment in a ripple tank?

Studying the double-slit experiment in a ripple tank allows us to better understand the wave properties of light and other types of waves. It also helps us understand concepts such as interference and diffraction, which have important applications in fields such as optics and acoustics.