Interesting Things to Say about US States

In summary: think it's intentional that they don't put the name of the street on the street signs because people would know where they were if they did.
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Do any of you guys have a favorite state? A least favorite state? Commentary to make about strange things you see in particular states?

For me, I have to start off with three tidbits:

1) The I-40 in Arkansas is of less quality than clay roads I've seen on Indian reservations, so what the heck is going on in Arkansas? It's perfectly fine in Memphis, then you cross the bridge and there are potholes and cracks everywhere. As soon as you get into Texas, it's fine again.

2) What is up with the state parks in both Tennessee and Arkansas? I remember names like Toad Suck and Frozen Head. Here in California we have Half Moon Bay and Montaña de Oro.

3) While in West Virginia, I noticed that every other house had a Camaro body, with no engine and no tires, up on blocks in the front yard. I was staying in Charles Town, and I'd ask anyone that lives in that state, is it like that everywhere?

Here are some funny signs from around the country and around the world just for kicks:

http://monster-island.org/tinashumor/humor/signs.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, the best always come from Japan, like this:

From a brochure of a car rental firm in Tokyo: When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor.

Maybe it's time to open this thread to worldwide contributions and get some Engrish going.

I can't see why in some states (like Ca), interstate exits are rarely numbered...I find it bothersome !

I lived out in the pacific northwest for three years. The highways there always had easy to read signes that were appropriately placed so you could see when you needed to exit. Hear in the crowded northeast, it is common to have the exit signs posted AFTER the exit, and sometimes behind lightposts and trees. And street signs: if you are in a town you don't know well, and on the main street and you need to check the name of the street that you are currently driving on...you can't! They don't believe in putting up the name of the main road on the street signs (and it's not always "main street, either).

The sign on the door at our library (a double door, one side stays closed): "<===== Please do not use the other door " . It takes a moment to figure out what they want.

well, my favorite state is my home state of new hampshire! cept i hate when we're called cow hampshire.. there's seriously hardly any cows here. we don't have hardly any fields. we're all trees and water, where do the cows live?! ya... no where. the few cows we have are like people's dairy cows.

something i just think is funny is that on utah's license plate there's an !... its UTAH! (they seem awful excited!)

in kansas they call the arkansas (ar-can-saw(s)) river the ar-kansas (ar-kan-zas) river.

and when we were kids, we used to call pennsylvania the road kill state. whenever we crossed into PA, there was always lots of dead animals. I also find it amusing how friendly their road signs are. "please don't tailgate" cracks me up everytime. they say please!

There is some place in Oregon, south of portland I believe where there is a lake. That city is the worst smelling place I have ever been to in my entire life and every past live i ever may or may not have had.

I also hate san francisco. Everyone loves all those hills and "ooo its so groovy and neat". Scared the living daylights out of me driving up and down those damn things and half the time I am scared some car is going to come rolling down at 50mph because someone forgot their brake

Chi Meson said:
I lived out in the pacific northwest for three years. The highways there always had easy to read signes that were appropriately placed so you could see when you needed to exit. Hear in the crowded northeast, it is common to have the exit signs posted AFTER the exit, and sometimes behind lightposts and trees. And street signs: if you are in a town you don't know well, and on the main street and you need to check the name of the street that you are currently driving on...you can't! They don't believe in putting up the name of the main road on the street signs (and it's not always "main street, either).
I've been discovering a LOT of that here in WV. And it's not like the streets are laid out in nice grids so once you figure out a few cross streets you can find where you are on a map. I can NEVER see the signs until I'm already at the intersection and in the wrong lane, because they are always posted so something is obstructing them...a building, a large tree, the traffic light.

As for car bodies in yards, no, don't see any of that. I do still find it..erm...interesting...that there will be a row of nice normal looking houses, small, large, well-kept, run-down, whatever, then suddenly a lot with a trailer and a bunch of pick-up trucks. As it is, I live in a bunch of townhouses, and right in front, surrounded by townhouses, is one old house...the owner refused to sell the property, so they just built around him...it's pretty funny looking, but it seems to be par for the course in this area. I don't mind, I actually find it to be a charming quirk about the state, and considering it means that when someone buys property, they can do as they darn well please on it without the neighbors getting in their business, that seems like a very good thing.

That's not fair; there's a New Hampshire, but there's no New Berkshire.

Gale said:
something i just think is funny is that on utah's license plate there's an !... its UTAH! (they seem awful excited!)
Maybe that's where Lisa! lives. :biggrin:

loseyourname said:
2) What is up with the state parks in both Tennessee and Arkansas? I remember names like Toad Suck and Frozen Head. Here in California we have Half Moon Bay and Montaña de Oro
My favorite is still Big Bone Lick state park in Kentucky.

Gale, I agree New Hampshire is a very pretty state with lots of tree-lined winding roads through the mountains (if Pengwuino is scared of driving on the hills of San Francisco, he better stay away from both WV and NH...I'm finally getting used to the narrow, winding, mountain roads around here).

I absolutely loved the blue sky meeting blue water in OR the one time I was there. Loved the cliffs over beaches too.

Ever heard of Peachtree Street, Peachtree Road, New Peachtree, Old Peachtree, etc.? There is about 200 Peachtree Roads here in Atlanta! Try figuring that out! Hey, I love it here!

Pengwuino said:
There is some place in Oregon, south of portland I believe where there is a lake. That city is the worst smelling place I have ever been to in my entire life and every past live i ever may or may not have had.

Hummm... there are not many lakes visible from I5 in Oregon, however here in Albany there are the "freeway lakes" actully more like ponds visible from the freeway and we do have the WaChang and the paperplant right along I5, both of these, in the right conditions can make your eyes water with the stink... I think you are talking about Albany... Humm... if this is the worst stink you have encountered then I guess you have not traveled much.

Try the feed lots along I80 in the midwest.

No its not albany...

Maybe it was in washington.

Ohhh, Pugent sound or something like that...

jcsd said:
That's not fair; there's a New Hampshire, but there's no New Berkshire.

there are the Berkshires in mass. we don't call them "new berkshires" but they're newer than the old ones eh!

Integral said:
Hummm... there are not many lakes visible from I5 in Oregon, however here in Albany there are the "freeway lakes" actully more like ponds visible from the freeway and we do have the WaChang and the paperplant right along I5, both of these, in the right conditions can make your eyes water with the stink... I think you are talking about Albany... Humm... if this is the worst stink you have encountered then I guess you have not traveled much.
:smile: He needs to visit Elizabeth, NJ. As you head up the NJ Turnpike toward NY, you'll hit a section just south of the Newark airport. It's the most horrid chemical odor ever. I'd much prefer the low tide odor of rotting fish and seaweed you hit along some coastal areas; at least I know that's natural.

In Colorado, driveing from Denver to Silver City, you first come across a sign saying Beware of Falling Rocks. 1/4 mile down the road the next sign says Flash Flood Zone Climb Rocks to Safty... hmmm so you must climb the falling rocks?

What a great thread :smile: I love the geography of the USA. Northern Arizona is truly magical, and I am not just talking about the Grand Canyon either. Sedona, Flagstaff, Sunset Crater and the cacti forests are so cool and weird! The Oregon Coast (especially central) is so fantastic, I highly recommend a visit there if you make it to the west. The Redwood Forests in No. Cali is exceptional too.

Tri-Cities in Washington I found to be highly unattractive. Very dull, dusty and dry. Hot too in the middle of summer. Southern Cali I am not so fond of either.

There is a lot more I would like to see of the USA someday :smile:

Pengwuino said:

:smile: :smile: :smile: Either that is a cheap shot as payback for my Fresno jokes, or you were next to a paper mill.

Moonbear said:
Maybe that's where Lisa! lives. :biggrin:

LOL! :smile:

Integral said:
... Humm... if this is the worst stink you have encountered then I guess you have not traveled much.

But you have to admit, Millersburg is pretty stinky.

Pengwuino said:
No its not albany...

Maybe it was in washington.

Ohhh, Pugent sound or something like that...

The Puget Sound? This is up near Seattle.

There's this place on the lake about an hour northeast from Duluth. It's got this little lighthouse at the end of a reeeeaaaaaallly long pier that sticks way out into the lake. If you happen to be in the vicinity of this place in the wintertime and you get an inexplicable urge to walk up to this lighthouse...well, best of luck !

I think Minnesota should be closed off for 6 months in the year.

In the town of Oroville, in N. California, there stands a monument where Ishi was found. Just beyond this is Devils Dip - a steep, ~150 ft drop and immediate rise in the road elevation that is a favorite for speed demons. At the end of the dip is a large oak tree with a sign that reads "Dead End". At ~100 MPH there is just enough time to stop as soon as the sign is seen.

The water in the Gulf around Clearwater Beach Fl. is like a bathtub.

There is a place at about 14th St in S. Laguna Beach Ca known locally as "thousand steps". We used to drive down late at night, jump the fence of the private beach, decend the five hundred steps or so [in fact], and camp on the beach until morning. Once inside no one cared or would bother you. When the ocean swells come from the southwest, one can time the waves and catch the collision of an incoming wave with that of a wave reflected by the cove wall. When the two waves meet a peak forms that allows a person surfing or body surfing to cut either direction and ride a break approx 50% larger than the incoming wave amplitude. The sudden drop in amplitude as the waves separate makes the ride even more exhilarating!

Edit: A strange aside. I thought of devils dip because a few weeks ago at a Safeway here in Oregon, I ran into a guy whose grandmother owned the house next to the oak tree.

Last edited:
Kansas City has a huge cow sitting atop a tower downtown that glows green at night. I love that cow. :!)

In Gideon, TX, you run across the largest cross in the western hemisphere - over 22 stories. Makes me wonder where the largest cross in the entire world is.

I seem to remember a sulfur-bearing compound used in the extraction of Hf from Zr, so that could have been Wah Chang as well as the feed lot.

If you want stinky - feed lots around Lubbock, TX during a hot summer night in August or September.

Janus said:
The Puget Sound? This is up near Seattle.

Guess that's where it was then. We went to seattle, neat place! Portland freaken rocked though.

In Minot, North Dakota there is a pylon marking the geographical center of the North American continent.
Riverside, Iowa claims to be the future birthplace of Captain James Tiberius Kirk.
In Chisholm, Minnesota you can visit "Ironworld USA"; An attraction that celebrates the local culture and the iron mining of the Mesabi range.
Virginia, Minnesota is the conceptual birthplace of "St Urho"; the patron saint of Finnish-Americans.

Guam is a territory. I like it. The scenery is spectacular, although the people have pros and cons.

The locals are easily stereotyped. Some things about them:
They tend to buy things in large quantities; yesterday I saw a women buying 4 BOXES (about 2x2x2 ft.) of potato chips. I've seen shopping carts full of paper towels before. And Coke.

The locals take life very easily, and are very friendly. Until the Spanish and Americans came, they had no word for "work." They had a word for "fishing" or "picking coconuts," but not work. That idea never got popular. Crime rate is almost zero, every 2-3 years there's a murder, a gang fight every ~1.5 years. Usually its because the guy's on meth, or drunk, or born with a messed up brain.

Yep.

I've been to Utah several times, first place I have ever been where you have to join a private club to be served a Beer, that's been diluted anyway..

Nice place tho, amazingly big with lots of space and the moutains are lovely, still prefer the Alps tho, they seem a bit more organic than in Utah..

Pengwuino said:
Guess that's where it was then. We went to seattle, neat place! Portland freaken rocked though.

Yep :approve: My city does rock.

Anttech said:
I've been to Utah several times, first place I have ever been where you have to join a private club to be served a Beer, that's been diluted anyway..

Nice place tho, amazingly big with lots of space and the moutains are lovely, still prefer the Alps tho, they seem a bit more organic than in Utah..

Next time go to Roosters in Ogden, UT. It's a micro-brewery and one can get great beers brewed on the premises and on tap. One brew - Polygamy Ale - "One is not enough" or "More than one is better."
After kayaking in Weber Canyon, mountain biking in the foothills of Ogden, or skiing the Olympic downhill at Snowbasin, Roosters on Historic 25th Street is THE PLACE TO GO for exceptional beer, excellent food and a great time!
- http://www.roostersbrewingco.com/ogden/main.html
Dinner Menu (as of Nov 5) - prices subject to change

HERB CRUSTED RACK OF LAMB - $19.95
Full rack of lamb, pan roasted in our Cabernet mint demi-glace and finished on the broiler. Best served medium-rare to medium.

ITALIAN SAUSAGE PENNE - $9.95
Zesty Italian sausage, tomato basil sauce and melted Mozzarella cheese with penne pasta.

FRESH ATLANTIC SALMON - $13.50
Broiled and served with dill cucumber sauce. Ask for it blackened!

KYM'S CAPELLINI - $8.50
Lighter fare...fresh and sweet roasted tomatoes, a touch of roasted garlic, olive oil, Feta cheese and chopped basil with capellini pasta.

ROOSTERS ENCHILADAS - $8.95
Filled with turkey and green chiles. Served with mole, rice, black beans and salsa. Served with soup or salad only.

SHRIMP CARBONARA LINGUINI - $15.95
Sauted rock shrimp simmered together with mushrooms, spinach, sweet peas with smoked gouda alfredo topped with proscuitto.

ANGUS RIBEYE 14 OZ - $19.95
This juicy favorite is grilled to your liking then topped with a deliciously rich Cambezola butter. Served with mashed potatoes and steamed veggies.

SPICY MANGO CHICKEN - $11.95
Sliced chicken breast sauteed with red peppers, sugar snap peas, fresh basil, and mangos in Ponzu sauce. Served with Jasmine rice and chili garlic dipping sauce.

VEAL SCALLOPPINE MARSALA - $15.95
Tender medallions of veal, simmered with stock and marsala. Served with sauteed leeks, Portobello mushrooms and mashed potatoes.

BAKED CHICKEN MILANO - $11.95
Lightly seasoned tender chicken breast baked with a tangy lemon-caper-shallot butter. Served with sauteed asparagus and mashed potatoes.

PENNE WITH GRILLED CHICKEN and CREAMY PESTO - $12.95
Tender slices of grilled chicken, chopped sundried tomatoes and snow peas simmered together with penne in a creamy pesto sauce.

CENTER CUT TENDERLOIN - $21.95
Succulent and delicious. Cooked to your taste, served with wild mushroom gravy, with grilled zucchini, and mashed potatoes.

PACIFIC COAST BISQUE - $15.95
Yukon Gold mashed potatoes surrounded by a bisque of shrimp, sea scallops, mussels, salmon, sauteed leeks, celery and Portobello mushrooms.

---------------------------------------------------------------

OTHER STUFF

FAMOUS FISH TACOS - $8.95
Three seasoned flaky white fish with cheddar and salota in fried soft corn tortillas. Served with Spanish rice, black beans and salsa verde.
Served with soup or salad only. Carne Asada Tacos $9.95

ROOSTERS BEER BATTERED FISH and CHIPS - $9.95
Flaky white fish dipped in homemade beer batter and deepfried until golden brown.

BREWHOUSE BURGER - $5.95
What's beer without a big juicy burger? 1/3 pound, served with Cheddar cheese and all the fixings. Add bacon? ($1 extra) Make it a double (add $2) Bleu Bacon Burger $6.95

SONORAN CHICKEN WRAP - $6.95
Spanish rice, seasoned black beans, spinach, sliced chicken breast, roasted red peppers, olives, guacamole and cheese folded together in a soft spinach tortilla.Includes choice of homemade soup, green salad or crispy fries

BLACKENED SALMON FOCACCIA SANDWICH - $7.95
Served with Pepper Jack cheese, remoulade and baby greens on homemade focaccia bread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUGGESTED HORS D'OEUVRES FOR PARTIES

Wild Mushroom and Goat Cheese Bruschetta
Hot Shrimp Kisses (BBQ Bacon Wrapped Shrimp with Jalapeno)
Chilled Shrimp served with Cocktail Sauce and Lemons
Asiago Stuffed Red Potatoes
Spicy Shrimp topped Quesadillas with Black Beans and Green Chilies
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus with Olive Tapenade
Cheese and Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Ahi Sashimi in Wonton Cups with Wasabi Aioli
Smoked Trout Apple Snacks with Horseradish Crme Fraiche
Camezola Pear and Pecan Crostini topped with Prosciutto
Chicken Satay with Thai Peanut Sauce

Last edited by a moderator:
New Jersey is the most dispicable place I've ever been. Every place I've ever been there has something insidious about it.

I was once in NJ on a Sunday in the late afternoon. Apparently, some particular county in NJ decided that they'd be Communists, and had passed laws forbidding almost all businesses from opening on Sunday. My family had to drive around for like 30 miles looking for some place where we could buy food.

I once saw a concert in Camden, and upon leaving, I was driving down a street that was wide enough for about 4 cars. The only problem was that there were no markings whatsoever on the street. You totally had to guess where the lanes might be. Luckily it was after midnight, so there weren't many people driving.

NJ is home to the worst smelling roadway in the world; someone thought that it would be a brilliant idea to put the worst smelling factories in the world right along the highway to suffocate drivers.

However, at least the horrible smell in some places is due to oil refineries. That's at least useful. But there are other industrial efforts along the highway in NJ that are even worse. I swear there are whole industrial setups that have no purpose besides pollution. For instance, I swear that there are several locations where there are simply large drills going deep into the ground and spewing out tons of smoke. I'm totally convinced that all they're doing is drilling holes in the Earth and burning whatever they find. They're probabablly being bribed by people in Alaska to speed up Global Warming as fast as possible.

If only Eliot Spitzer would make the annihilation of NJ part of his campaign platform...

wasteofo2 said:
I was once in NJ on a Sunday in the late afternoon. Apparently, some particular county in NJ decided that they'd be Communists, and had passed laws forbidding almost all businesses from opening on Sunday. My family had to drive around for like 30 miles looking for some place where we could buy food.
I never understood that one. One of my friends lives in that county now, so I asked him why they keep those stupid blue laws. He said apparently people in the county refuse to change it because they like having a law that ensures they get the day off. It seems annoying to me to not be able to even buy groceries on a Sunday.

They're probabablly being bribed by people in Alaska to speed up Global Warming as fast as possible.
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Moonie said:
My favorite is still Big Bone Lick state park in Kentucky.
I was going to mention that! When I went to Cinci my friend had to pick me up at the airport in Kentucky. We drove right past that park. I had to ask her if that sign I just saw said what I thought it said.

I once stayed in Coos Bay OR for a while. Guess what's it's known for?
Elderly Suicide in Coos County, OR
Date of project: 7/7/2003

In the United States, one elderly person commits suicide every 99 minutes. Suicide rates among the elderly are increasing nationwide. Coos County has a higher suicide rate than that of the U.S. as a whole and that of Oregon, a statistic at least partially explained by the county's higher proportion of older people. The problem of suicide in Coos County became particularly apparent this year when over a 35-day period between May and June seven elderly residents took their own lives.

Back