Interesting studies of sound called 'Cymatics'.

In summary, Cymatics is a field of study that explores the effects of sound on matter. While it may hold value in advanced physical research, it is currently viewed more as an art form. There is no evidence to suggest that sound can be used to transmute elements. Cymatics primarily focuses on how vibrations can alter matter, often resulting in fascinating patterns and shapes. The work of Ernst Chladni is a notable example of this phenomenon. While Cymatics may have potential in the field of quantum physics, it is currently not a major area of study in the scientific community.
CmWhitten
Recently, I have come across some interesting studies of sound called 'Cymatics'. I was curious in how the modern scientific community views this intriguing field of research... Can anyone help to enlighten me on the subject?

Physics news on Phys.org

Wow, 53 visitors and 0 replies? You can check my profile stats for verification that I am 25 and not currently attending any college or university... so this is absolutely NOT some homework assignment! (^_^)
I am simply, deeply interested in this field of study and just wish to further expand my knowledge of the subject. Such as; if vibration (sound) can 'alter' matter, can it also 'transmute' it? (from one element to another?) ...and if so, can a unique frequency be channeled into an object to force it to not only change shape, but form of substance altogether?

Last edited:

I must admit that I have never heard that sound can be used to transmute elements, say, lead to gold. I seriously doubt it's possible.

Oh, and don't be concerned by the visitors and no replies.
Happens all the time.

Thanks for the heads up, Pally! (^_^)

I wasn't really sure if cymatics could transmute matter as well as simply alter it... but I was just wondering if any other (independent or other) researchers have made any recent discoveries?

i simply adore cymatics and is my favorite domain of interest, in my mind it should be one of the most emporant domains in quantum physics

CmWhitten said:
Wow, 53 visitors and 0 replies? You can check my profile stats for verification that I am 25 and not currently attending any college or university... so this is absolutely NOT some homework assignment! (^_^)
I am simply, deeply interested in this field of study and just wish to further expand my knowledge of the subject. Such as; if vibration (sound) can 'alter' matter, can it also 'transmute' it? (from one element to another?) ...and if so, can a unique frequency be channeled into an object to force it to not only change shape, but form of substance altogether?

No transmutation of anything. While there are some very interesting phenomena represented in this field and perhaps some value in advanced physical research it certainly will not involve transmutation.

A quick Wiki search shows that currently http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymatics" is more of a field of art then physics.

You may want to read up on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Chladni#Chladni_plates" they revel an amazing array of patterns depending on how and where vibrations are excited. You will find them used in some Physics labs to demonstrate the concept of vibrational modes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Interesting studies of sound called 'Cymatics'.

1. What is cymatics?

Cymatics is the study of how sound waves affect physical matter. It explores the relationship between sound and the patterns it creates in different mediums such as water, sand, or metal.

2. How does cymatics work?

Cymatics works by using a device called a tonoscope, which is a metal plate that is placed on a speaker. The plate is then covered with a thin layer of particles, such as sand or salt. When the speaker emits sound waves, the particles move and form intricate patterns and shapes.

3. What are the practical applications of cymatics?

Cymatics has many practical applications, such as in the study of acoustics, music, and even in medical treatments like ultrasound. It can also be used in the production of musical instruments and in the creation of visual art.

4. Can cymatics be used for healing purposes?

While cymatics is not considered a mainstream medical treatment, some people believe that certain sound frequencies and patterns can have healing effects on the body. However, more research is needed to fully understand and validate these claims.

5. What are some interesting examples of cymatics?

There are many fascinating examples of cymatics, such as the Chladni patterns, which are intricate geometric shapes formed by sound vibrations on a metal plate. Another example is the use of cymatics in music production, where sound waves are used to create unique and complex sounds. Additionally, cymatics has been used to visualize the vibrations of different musical instruments, providing insight into how sound is created and how it affects physical matter.