Intercepts in quadric surfaces?

• Thread starter yoohyojinn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surfaces
In summary, the number of intercepts for an ellipsoid can range from 0 to 6, while an elliptic paraboloid can have between 1 and 6 intercepts. However, it is possible for a rotated elliptic paraboloid to have up to 6 intercepts if its axis of revolution is not parallel to any of the axes.
yoohyojinn
Intercepts in quadric surfaces??

Homework Statement

How many intercepts can an ellipsoid have?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I don't understand what exactly "an intercept" means in quadric surfaces.

in two dimensions, intercepts are the points that the graph meets with x&y axes.

So in three dimensions, do intercepts still mean the points that the surface meets with x,y,z axes?

if what I understand is right, an ellipsoid can have at least 0 intercept, and at most 6 intercepts.

And an elliptic parabaloid can have at least 1 intercept, and at most 6 intercepts.

is it right??

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

yoohyojinn said:

Homework Statement

How many intercepts can an ellipsoid have?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I don't understand what exactly "an intercept" means in quadric surfaces.

in two dimensions, intercepts are the points that the graph meets with x&y axes.

So in three dimensions, do intercepts still mean the points that the surface meets with x,y,z axes?

if what I understand is right, an ellipsoid can have at least 0 intercept, and at most 6 intercepts.
Seems reasonble to me.
yoohyojinn said:
And an elliptic parabaloid can have at least 1 intercept, and at most 6 intercepts.
I think that 6 is too many - I don't see how it could have more than 5 intercepts.
yoohyojinn said:
is it right??

Thanks.

oh yes, yes, yes, you are right.

I was confused with visualizing it.

an elliptic paraboloid can have at most 5 intercepts.

thanks.

What if it was an elliptic paraboloid which was rotated so that its axis of revolution was not parallel to an axis? Couldn't it then achieve 6 intercepts?

that sounds right

alanlu said:
What if it was an elliptic paraboloid which was rotated so that its axis of revolution was not parallel to an axis? Couldn't it then achieve 6 intercepts?
I thought about that possibility (briefly), but it didn't seem to make a difference. If you spend more time at it than I did, you might be able to come up with a scenario in which there are 6 intercepts for the paraboloid.

Related to Intercepts in quadric surfaces?

1. What are intercepts in quadric surfaces?

Intercepts in quadric surfaces refer to the points where the surface intersects with the x, y, and z axes. They can also be referred to as x-intercepts, y-intercepts, and z-intercepts.

2. How do you find the intercepts of a quadric surface?

To find the intercepts of a quadric surface, set two of the variables (x, y, or z) to 0 and solve for the remaining variable. Repeat this process for each variable to find all three intercepts.

3. What information can intercepts provide about a quadric surface?

The intercepts of a quadric surface can provide information about the shape and orientation of the surface. For example, if a quadric surface has three real intercepts, it is a hyperboloid. If it has one real intercept and two imaginary intercepts, it is a hyperbolic paraboloid.

4. Can a quadric surface have more than three intercepts?

No, a quadric surface can only have a maximum of three intercepts. This is because quadric surfaces are defined by second-degree equations, which can only have three variables.

5. How do intercepts relate to the axes of symmetry in a quadric surface?

The intercepts of a quadric surface lie on the axes of symmetry. This means that the x, y, and z intercepts are also the points where the surface is symmetric. Understanding this relationship can help in graphing and visualizing quadric surfaces.