Integration with eulers formula.

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using Euler's formula to solve integrals, specifically the integral of e^{-x^2}cos(-x^2) over all space. The use of polar coordinates and taking the square root of the answer is also mentioned. However, it is noted that the real part may need to be taken at some point and it is important to ensure the integral converges.
cragar
Is it possible to do integrals like this with eulers formula
[itex] \int e^{-x^2}cos(-x^2) [/itex]
and this integral is over all space.
then we write [itex] e^{-x^2}e^{-ix^2} [/itex]
then can we square that integral and then do it in polar coordinates, and then we will eventually take the square root
of our answer. But it seems like we would need to take the real part at some point.
Is this a right path to take?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-k \mathop{x^2}} \mathop{ dx} \mathop{=} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{k}}[/tex]

so your integral is the real part of the case k=1+i or k=1-i
or the average of the cases k=1+i and k=1-i

Make sure the integral converges.

Related to Integration with eulers formula.

1. What is eulers formula?

Euler's formula is a mathematical equation that relates the values of trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, and tangent) to the complex exponential function. It can be written as e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is any real number.

2. How is eulers formula related to integration?

Euler's formula is closely related to integration because it involves complex numbers, which are used in many integration problems. It allows us to express trigonometric functions in terms of the exponential function, which can simplify the integration process.

3. Can eulers formula be used for any type of integration?

Yes, eulers formula can be used for any type of integration. However, it is most commonly used for evaluating integrals involving trigonometric functions.

4. What are the benefits of using eulers formula in integration?

Using eulers formula in integration can make the process simpler and more efficient. It allows us to express trigonometric functions in terms of the exponential function, which can be easier to integrate. It also provides a way to convert integrals involving trigonometric functions into integrals involving only real numbers.

5. Are there any limitations to using eulers formula in integration?

While eulers formula can be a useful tool in integration, it may not always be the most efficient or appropriate method. In some cases, other techniques such as substitution or integration by parts may be more effective. Additionally, it may not be applicable to integrals that do not involve trigonometric functions.