Integration by parts wrong (?)

In summary, the integration by parts did not produce a convergent series, which means that the equation they were trying to solve may not have been correct.
Username007
Here I used integration by parts to try to solve an integral (I got it wrong, it seems), I know this has no "simple" solution, but, can anyone explain me exactly what did I do wrong? Here is what I did:

[itex]\int\frac{e^x}{x}dx=\frac{e^x}{x}-(-1)\int\frac{e^x}{x^2}dx=\frac{e^x}{x}+1(\frac{e^x}{x^2}-(-2)\int\frac{e^x}{x^3}dx)=\frac{e^x}{x}+1!(\frac{e^x}{x^2}+2!\frac{e^x}{x^3}+3!\int\frac{e^x}{x^4}dx)=...=0!\frac{e^x}{x}+1!\frac{e^x}{x^2}+2!\frac{e^x}{x^3}+3!\frac{e^x}{x^4}+...[/itex]

I just used integration by parts on the "remaining" integrals so I could produce a series, but the series is just...wrong. I would appreciate if you told me what is the error in my reasoning.
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't, that's the point. Why can I use integration by parts and "say" that [itex]\int\frac{e^x}{x}dx[/itex] equals a sum that does not converge?

And, thanks :)

Hi Username007! :smile:
Username007 said:
It doesn't, that's the point. Why can I use integration by parts and "say" that [itex]\int\frac{e^x}{x}dx[/itex] equals a sum that does not converge?

integration by parts works fine so long as the ∑ is finite …

∫ ex/x dx

= ex(∑n=0k-1 n!/xn+1 - n! ∫ ex/xn+1 dx​

unfortunately, although we can usually rely on the final integral converging to zero as k -> ∞, in this case it doesn't! :rolleyes:

So, if the result of integration does not converge we can't establish the equality? (Thanks for you patience btw ^_^)

yes :smile:

Related to Integration by parts wrong (?)

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method for solving integrals that involve a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule from calculus, and is often used when the integral cannot be solved using other methods.

Why might integration by parts be done incorrectly?

Integration by parts can be done incorrectly due to a variety of reasons. Some common mistakes include using the wrong formula, not properly identifying the functions to be integrated, or making errors in the integration process.

What are some tips for avoiding mistakes when using integration by parts?

To avoid mistakes when using integration by parts, it is important to carefully identify the functions to be integrated, use the correct formula, and double check the integration process for any errors. It can also be helpful to practice and familiarize oneself with the method through various examples.

What are the potential consequences of making a mistake in integration by parts?

Mistakes in integration by parts can lead to incorrect solutions and potentially impact the accuracy of any further calculations or conclusions dependent on the integral. Additionally, it can be difficult to identify and correct mistakes in the integration process once they have been made.

How can I improve my understanding and proficiency in integration by parts?

The best way to improve understanding and proficiency in integration by parts is through practice and seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor. It can also be helpful to study and review the underlying principles and concepts of calculus that are used in integration by parts.