Integration by Parts with Power Reduction - Confirming Solution

In summary, Integration by Parts with Power Reduction is a mathematical method used to find the integral of a product of two functions, particularly useful for integrals involving products of trigonometric functions. It involves breaking the original integral into two smaller integrals, one of which contains a power of the original function that can be reduced using trigonometric identities. This method is most useful when the integral involves a product of trigonometric functions with an odd power. To confirm the solution, one can differentiate the resulting integral or use online integration calculators. Other methods for integration include substitution, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitutions, with the best method depending on the specific integral being solved.
nameVoid

Homework Statement

I(xsin^2x,x)
(1/2)I(x(1-cos2x),x)
(1/2)I(x,x)-(1/2)I(xcos2x,x)
x^2/4-(1/2)I(xcos2x,x)
u=x du=dx
dv=cos2x v=sin2x/2
x^2/4-xsin2x/4+I(sin2x,x)/4
x^2/4-xsin2x/4-cos2x/8+C
book is showing a diffrent solution from integrating by parts before power reduction
can somone please confirm

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct.

Related to Integration by Parts with Power Reduction - Confirming Solution

1. What is Integration by Parts with Power Reduction?

Integration by Parts with Power Reduction is a mathematical method used to find the integral of a product of two functions. It is a variation of the original Integration by Parts rule and is particularly useful for integrals involving products of trigonometric functions.

2. How does Integration by Parts with Power Reduction work?

The formula for Integration by Parts with Power Reduction is ∫u(x)v(x)dx = u(x)∫v(x)dx - ∫u'(x)∫∫v(x)dx²dx. This method involves breaking down the original integral into two smaller integrals, one of which contains a power of the original function. This power can then be reduced using trigonometric identities, making the integration process easier.

3. When should Integration by Parts with Power Reduction be used?

Integration by Parts with Power Reduction is most useful when the integral involves a product of trigonometric functions, especially when the power of these functions is an odd number. This method can also be used for integrals with non-trigonometric functions, but it may not always result in a simpler solution.

4. How do I confirm the solution obtained using Integration by Parts with Power Reduction?

To confirm the solution obtained using Integration by Parts with Power Reduction, you can differentiate the resulting integral and see if it matches the original integrand. If it does, then the solution is correct. You can also use online integration calculators to check your answer.

5. Are there any other methods for integration besides Integration by Parts with Power Reduction?

Yes, there are several other methods for integration, such as substitution, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitutions. The best method to use depends on the specific integral being solved. In some cases, a combination of methods may be necessary to find the solution.