Integration by Parts: Solving Homework Statement

In summary, Mark44 was having trouble with integrating e-2αx for an equation involving u and found a workaround by integrating u only. When solving for v, he found that e-2αx equals -2αx and plugged this into his integration by parts formula to get v=x\frac{1}{2 \alpha}e^{-2 \alpha x}-\left[\frac{1}{4 \alpha^{2}}e^{-2 \alpha x} \right]_{0}^{\infty}.
erok81

Homework Statement

I had this integral on my physics homework and for the life of me couldn't solve it. I ended up using Maple..well wolframalpha.com because Maple's output sucks.

Anyway here is the problem.

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} x e^{-2 \alpha x}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \int u dv = uv - \int v du[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set this up as:

u = x
du = dx
dv = e-2αx
v = :confused:

If I was ex I'd have no problem. Or even integrating only e-2αx then it'd be a u-sub and no problem.

I tried doing a u-sub right at the beginning and just saved the 1/2α until the end, but that didn't work either.

I am pretty sure once I get to the infinities I'll be able to tackle those. But we can see once we get there.

There is also the tabular method, but I'd rather do integration by parts as I seem to suck at it.:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
erok81 said:

Homework Statement

I had this integral on my physics homework and for the life of me couldn't solve it. I ended up using Maple..well wolframalpha.com because Maple's output sucks.

Anyway here is the problem.

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} x e^{-2 \alpha x}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \int u dv = uv - \int v du[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set this up as:

u = x
du = dx
dv = e-2αx[/SUB]
v = :confused:

If I was ex I'd have no problem. Or even integrating only e-2αx[/SUB] then it'd be a u-sub and no problem.
What's the problem? Integrate e-2αx[/SUB] to get v, and you're almost home.
erok81 said:
I tried doing a u-sub right at the beginning and just saved the 1/2α until the end, but that didn't work either.

I am pretty sure once I get to the infinities I'll be able to tackle those. But we can see once we get there.

There is also the tabular method, but I'd rather do integration by parts as I seem to suck at it.:smile:
I don't much care for it myself.

All you need to do to find v is integrate dv, which you seem to indicate you know how to do in your post.

Then put everything into the parts formula, integrate, and apply your limits.

Too late again...

So finding v I get

[tex]v = \frac{1}{2 \alpha}e^{-2 \alpha x}[/tex]

Plugging into my integration by parts formula.

[tex]
= x \frac{1}{2 \alpha}e^{-2 \alpha x} - \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2 \alpha}e^{-2 \alpha x} dx
[/tex]

So if that's right, I can do the same u-sub with u=2α

Which would give me...

[tex]\frac{x}{2 \alpha}e^{-2 \alpha x} - \left[ \frac{1}{4 \alpha^{2}}e^{-2 \alpha x} \right] _{0}^{\infty}[/tex]

Plugging in b for my infinity term, taking the limit as b goes to infinity, then evaluating at 0.

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\infty} x e^{-2 \alpha x}dx = \frac{1}{4 \alpha^&{2}}
[/tex]

How's that look? I believe the answer is correct now.

erok81 said:
So finding v I get

[tex]v = \frac{1}{2 \alpha}e^{-2 \alpha x}[/tex]

You have your sign wrong here. However, you did get the final answer correct, so you must have made an even number of sign errors. :wink:

I am glad you brought that up. Here is another stupid question.

Mine wasn't negative because my u-sub was 2αx rather than -2αx. I think that's why my answer still right. If I would have u-subbed -2αx I would have ended up with a negative answer.

Checking through the work both ways, I don't think it matters which I choose since the answer still comes out the same. So does it even matter if you include the negative or not?

Yes. If you did:
[tex]
\int \!\! e^{-2\alpha x} dx
[/tex]
with [tex]u=2\alpha x, \quad du = 2\alpha dx[/tex], you would end up with:
[tex]\int \!\! e^{-2\alpha x} dx = \frac{1}{2\alpha} \int \!\! e^{-u} du = -\frac{1}{2\alpha}e^{-u} = -\frac{1}{2\alpha}e^{-2\alpha x}[/tex]

Got it. Thanks. That's good to know.

It's depressing how quickly one forgets this stuff. :(

Thanks Mark44 for your help as well.

Related to Integration by Parts: Solving Homework Statement

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to evaluate integrals. It involves breaking down the integrand (the function being integrated) into two parts and using the product rule from differentiation to solve the integral.

2. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integrand contains a product of two functions, one of which is easily integrated while the other is not. It can also be used to simplify integrals that involve logarithmic or trigonometric functions.

3. How do I choose which part to differentiate and which part to integrate?

When using integration by parts, you should choose the part to differentiate based on which function will become simpler after differentiating. The goal is to eventually reach an integral that can be easily solved. The part to integrate should be the remaining part.

4. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu, where u and v are the two parts of the integrand and du and dv are their respective differentials. This formula is also known as the "ILATE rule" (Integration, Logarithmic, Algebraic, Trigonometric, Exponential).

5. Are there any specific tips for solving integration by parts problems?

Yes, there are a few tips that can make solving integration by parts problems easier. These include choosing the part to differentiate wisely, using substitution to simplify the integral if necessary, and being aware of common integration patterns (such as ln x and e^x) that can make solving the integral easier.