Integration by Parametric Differentiation

In summary: So just ignore those other two terms.In summary, the conversation is about using integration by parametric differentiation to solve an integral. The person is having trouble understanding the process and questions why there is no dx/dalpha in the solution. Another person explains that the Leibniz integral rule is being used and simplifies it for the first person. The first person also expresses confusion about the notation and the second person clarifies that z can be thought of as alpha and the other terms on the right side of the rule are not needed in this specific case.
Chewy0087

Homework Statement

Having trouble understanding this

the example I saw was;

Solve [tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} x^3 e^{-9x} dx[/tex] using integration by parametric differentiation.

The Attempt at a Solution

well, i do know how to do this, so i set out my integral;

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} e^{-\alpha x} dx[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{\alpha}[/tex]

Now is where i get stuck, I'm told that now I can differentiate both sides with respect to alpha, because alpha is only a parameter, which is fine for the right hand side, however on the left, sureley I'm performing an operation on x, so why don't I get a dx/dalpha ? I am also at a loss to know how you can do it with the integral sign still there :O

this is the main problem I'm having, but anyway could someone check the rest of my working; so differentiating both sides;

[tex]-\int^{\infty}_{0}x e^{-\alpha x} dx = -\frac{1}{\alpha^2}[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}x^2 e^{-\alpha x} dx = \frac{2}{\alpha^3}[/tex]

[tex]-\int^{\infty}_{0}x^3 e^{-\alpha x} dx = -\frac{6}{\alpha^4}[/tex]

so the integral of

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} x^3 e^{-9x} dx = \frac{6}{9^4}[/tex]

thanks again.

ps: i worked really hard on this LaTeX i hope you like it :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice LaTex! You are doing it exactly correctly. On the left side, you are just using the Leibniz integral rule. There's no reason to think you should get a dx/dalpha, is there?

Dick said:
Nice LaTex! You are doing it exactly correctly. On the left side, you are just using the Leibniz integral rule. There's no reason to think you should get a dx/dalpha, is there?

Thanks a lot for that, and is it because of leinbiz's rule that you can do that?

also i know it's a lot to ask but could you explain his rule as simply as possible? :P

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial z} \int^{b(z)}_{a(z)} f(x,z) dx = \int^{b(z)}_{a(z)} \frac{\partial f}{\partial z} dx + f(b(z),z) \frac{\partial b}{\partial z} - f(a(z),z) \frac{\partial a}{\partial z}
[/tex]
(i didn't do THAT latex I found it on someone else's post :P)

i know I'm not taking university mathematics yet and it's unlikely that i'll need it until then however it's really bugging me and i'd like to be able to do it.

the trouble is, that the notation is extremely inaccessible (for me).

the part that's bugging me is that surely you want to define the integral you want/need in terms of other things, however on the left side you're also differentiating the integral you need, so it'll be in another form...(which you don't want)

OR, is this rule just proving that you CAN differentiate with respect to alpha (as in original question), by bringing it inside?

the notation is extremely scary, and also another rookie question but what does (a(z), z) mean? wouldn't that just mean ("a function of z", "including z")

sorry again, maybe I'm just way in over my head here.

Yes, it's saying that you can differentiate inside the integral. Just think of z as alpha. The other two terms on the RHS apply to cases where the limits also depend on alpha. You don't need them since your limits, 0 and infinity, don't depend on alpha. If your integral were from 0 to alpha^2, for example, you get a contribution from the db/dz (or db/dalpha) part where b(alpha)=alpha^2.

Related to Integration by Parametric Differentiation

What is Integration by Parametric Differentiation?

Integration by Parametric Differentiation is a method used to find the integral of a function that is defined by parametric equations. This means that the x and y variables are both expressed in terms of another variable (usually t). The goal is to find the integral of y with respect to x.

When is Integration by Parametric Differentiation used?

Integration by Parametric Differentiation is used when the function being integrated is defined by parametric equations. This is common in problems involving curves or motion, where the x and y coordinates are both changing with respect to time.

What are the steps involved in Integration by Parametric Differentiation?

The steps for Integration by Parametric Differentiation are as follows:

1. Eliminate the parameter t by solving one of the parametric equations for t in terms of x or y.
  2. Find the derivative dy/dx by using implicit differentiation.
  3. Substitute the value of dy/dx into the integral expression.
  4. Solve the resulting integral in terms of x.

What are some common mistakes made in Integration by Parametric Differentiation?

Some common mistakes in Integration by Parametric Differentiation include:

• Forgetting to eliminate the parameter t before finding the derivative.
  • Solving for dx/dt instead of dy/dx.
  • Not properly substituting the value of dy/dx into the integral expression.

Are there any alternative methods to Integration by Parametric Differentiation?

Yes, there are alternative methods to Integration by Parametric Differentiation such as using the Chain Rule or the Substitution Method. However, Integration by Parametric Differentiation is specifically useful when dealing with parametric equations and can sometimes be the most efficient method for finding the integral.