Applications of ODE; damped motion

In summary: Double check your work and see if that fixes the issue.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of motion for a system consisting of a 2 lb force stretching a spring 1 ft, with a 3.2 lb weight attached and a damping force of 0.4 times the instantaneous velocity. The attempted solution involves calculating the spring constant and mass, using the formula for motion and solving for the constants, but there is a mistake in the differentiation step. The correct answer involves using the product rule in the differentiation and results in a different value for C_2.
leroyjenkens

Homework Statement

A force of 2 lb stretches a spring 1 ft. A 3.2 lb weight is attached to the spring and the system is then immersed in a medium that imparts a damping force numerically equal to 0.4 times the instantaneous velocity. Find the equation of motion if the weight is released from rest 1 ft above the equilibrium position.

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{d^2t}{dt^2}+\frac{β}{m}\frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{k}{m}x=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The initial information says that a force of 2 lb stretches a spring 1 ft. I use that information to get my spring constant. F = ma = ks (s being the distance it stretches).
I use that to get k = 2
Then I use F = ma to get the mass. 3.2 = m*32 (32 [itex]\frac{ft}{s^2}[/itex]=9.8[itex]\frac{m}{s^2}[/itex])
β is given in the problem as 0.4.

So I use all of that and plug it into the formula and get...

[itex]\frac{d^2t}{dt^2}+4\frac{dx}{dt}+20x=0[/itex]

That gives me this... [itex]m^2+4m+20=0[/itex]

I use the quadratic formula to get [itex]-2\pm8i[/itex]

So that gives me [itex]x(t)=e^{-2t}(C_{1}cos8t+C_{2}sin8t)[/itex]
The equation for the velocity is [itex]x'(t)=-2(-8C_{1}sin8t+8C_{2}cos8t)[/itex]

According to the problem, the initial position is -1 ft because it is released 1 foot above the equilibrium position, and down is positive. The initial velocity is 0 since it starts from rest.

But when I solve for x(0), I get [itex]C_{1}=-1[/itex] and when I solve for x'(0), I get [itex]C_{2}=0[/itex]
The back of the book says those are the wrong constants.
And it has a different argument in the trig functions.
Here's the answer in the back of the book: [itex]x(t)=e^{-2t}(-cos4t-\frac{1}{2}sin4t)[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
leroyjenkens said:

Homework Statement

A force of 2 lb stretches a spring 1 ft. A 3.2 lb weight is attached to the spring and the system is then immersed in a medium that imparts a damping force numerically equal to 0.4 times the instantaneous velocity. Find the equation of motion if the weight is released from rest 1 ft above the equilibrium position.

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{d^2t}{dt^2}+\frac{β}{m}\frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{k}{m}x=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The initial information says that a force of 2 lb stretches a spring 1 ft. I use that information to get my spring constant. F = ma = ks (s being the distance it stretches).
I use that to get k = 2
Then I use F = ma to get the mass. 3.2 = m*32 (32 [itex]\frac{ft}{s^2}[/itex]=9.8[itex]\frac{m}{s^2}[/itex])
β is given in the problem as 0.4.

So I use all of that and plug it into the formula and get...

[itex]\frac{d^2t}{dt^2}+4\frac{dx}{dt}+20x=0[/itex]

That gives me this... [itex]m^2+4m+20=0[/itex]

I use the quadratic formula to get [itex]-2\pm8i[/itex]

I would check that last step, especially since the answer has 4t in its arguments for the trig functions.

LCKurtz said:
I would check that last step, especially since the answer has 4t in its arguments for the trig functions.

Ah, you got me. I always divide the left side of the numerator by the denominator, but forget to divide the right side by the denominator as well. Thanks. I'll check that to see if it fixes my problems.

Ok I'm still getting 0 for [itex]C_2[/itex]

My [itex]C_1[/itex] is correct. That equals -1.

Am I wrong that x'(0) is not equal to 0? That's the only way I can see getting [itex]C_2 = \frac{-1}{2}[/itex]

Last edited:
What happened to the exponential factor when you differentiated to find x'(t)?

vela said:
What happened to the exponential factor when you differentiated to find x'(t)?

I messed up, it's supposed to be there in x'(t), but it turns to 1 in x'(0), which leaves -2 outside the parentheses to turn my 4 into -8. But I still have that 0 on the left side, so I don't see how I could get the -1/2 that the book has for [itex]C_2[/itex].
What do you think?

You didn't differentiate correctly if you didn't use the product rule, which I don't think you're doing.

Related to Applications of ODE; damped motion

1. What is damped motion?

Damped motion refers to the behavior of a system that experiences a gradual decrease in amplitude over time due to the presence of a damping force. This force acts in the opposite direction of the motion and causes the system to lose energy, resulting in a decrease in the amplitude of oscillations.

2. What are some examples of damped motion?

Some common examples of damped motion include a swinging pendulum with air resistance, a car driving over a speed bump, or a weight attached to a spring moving through a viscous fluid.

3. How is damped motion described mathematically?

Damped motion can be described using a differential equation known as the damped harmonic oscillator equation, which takes into account the effects of damping on the system's oscillations. This equation involves the system's mass, spring constant, damping coefficient, and initial conditions.

4. What are the applications of damped motion in real life?

Damped motion has many applications in various fields, including engineering, physics, and biology. For example, it is used in the design of shock absorbers for vehicles, in studying the behavior of electrical circuits, and in analyzing the movement of organisms in fluid environments.

5. How can damped motion be controlled or manipulated?

There are several ways to control or manipulate damped motion, depending on the specific system and its characteristics. Some common methods include adjusting the damping coefficient, changing the mass or spring constant of the system, or using external forces to counteract the effects of damping. These techniques can be used to optimize the performance of systems and improve their efficiency.