Integrating with ln in denominator.

In summary, The conversation discusses the process of integrating a given expression using the u-substitution method. The individual is uncertain about how to handle the ln(n) term in the denominator, but receives guidance to substitute u = ln(n) and then 1+u = v^3 to arrive at a simpler integral. The individual is also reminded to check their answer by taking the derivative.
Poop-Loops
Ok, so it's been a while since I've had to integrate anything, much less something like this.

[tex]\int \frac{1}{n(1 + \ln{n})^{2/3}} dn[/tex]

I'm thinking u substition for ln(n) and then du becomes 1/n? But, since the ln(n) is in the denominator of a fraction raised to a power, wouldn't that mess with du? Or am I on the right track? I checked my calculus book and surfed the web, and couldn't find an integral for ln, so I can't see any other way...

If it helps, this is for a series check by integration to see if it's convergant or divergant, so it goes from nothing to infinity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitute u = ln(n), then substitute 1+u = v^3, and you simply have the integral of 3 dv

Last edited:
You've got the right idea. Remember, a substitution is just that, substituting in another number or variable, so why would you be worried? :smile:

Because these things take a LONG time, and then I don't even know if I have the right answer unless I get stuck (then I know it's wrong).

Thanks. I'll play around with that tomorrow. I've been doing my homework for like 3 hours now, so I think I'll go to bed. :)

Also, remember that you can always check your answer by taking the derivative of your answer and seeing if it turns out to be the integrand

EDIT: Just by looking at it, it seems that your answer will be very straighforward and take very little steps to arrive at.

EDIT2: koroljov: you shouldn't simply provide the answer in such a situation.

Last edited:

Related to Integrating with ln in denominator.

1. What is the purpose of integrating with ln in the denominator?

The purpose of integrating with ln in the denominator is to simplify the integration process and make it easier to solve. It allows us to use logarithmic differentiation to simplify the expression and make it more manageable.

2. How do you integrate with ln in the denominator?

To integrate with ln in the denominator, you can use the substitution method. Let u = ln(x) and du = 1/x dx. Then, replace all instances of x and dx in the integral with u and du. This will give you a new integral that can be solved using standard integration techniques.

3. What are the benefits of integrating with ln in the denominator?

Integrating with ln in the denominator can help us solve more complex integrals that would be difficult to solve using traditional integration techniques. It also allows us to simplify the expression and make it more manageable.

4. Are there any restrictions when integrating with ln in the denominator?

Yes, when integrating with ln in the denominator, we must ensure that the limits of integration do not include any values that would result in ln(0) or ln(negative number), as these would lead to undefined results.

5. Can integrating with ln in the denominator be used in any type of integration?

Yes, integrating with ln in the denominator can be used in both indefinite and definite integrals. It is particularly useful in integrals involving exponential and logarithmic functions.