Need help evaluating an improper integral as a power series.

In summary, the book's answer for the indefinite integral of x^2ln(1+x) as a power series is C + ∑ (-1)^n * x^(n+3) / (n(n+3)), with a radius of convergence of R = 1. However, there may be a sign error in the book as it does not match with the result obtained by differentiating the power series.
uchuu-man chi

Homework Statement

Evaluate the indefinite integral as a power series. What is the radius of convergence (R)?
##\int x^2ln(1+x) \, dx##

Book's answer: ##\int x^2ln(1+x) dx = C + \sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^n \frac {x^{n+3}} {n(n+3)}; R = 1##

Homework Equations

Geometric series
##\frac {1} {1-x} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n ; |x|<1##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\frac {1} {1-x} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n ; |x|<1##

-Substitute -x in for x
##\frac {1} {1+x} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n x^n ; |x|<1##

-Integrate
##\int \frac {1} {1+x} dx = \int \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n x^n dx ; |x|<1 \\ = ln(1+x) = C + \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n \frac {x^{n+1}}{n+1} ; |x|<1##

##\text {When x=0, C = ln(1) = 0} \\ = ln(1+x) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n \frac {x^{n+1}}{n+1} ; |x|<1##

-Multiply by x2
##x^2 ln(1+x) = x^2 \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n \frac {x^{n+1}} {n+1} ; |x|<1 \\ = x^2ln(1+x) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n \frac {x^{n+3}} {(n+1)}; |x|<1##

-Integrate

##\int x^2 ln(1+x) dx = \int \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n \frac {x^{n+3}} {n+1} dx ; |x|<1 \\ = \int x^2 ln(1+x) dx = C + \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n \frac {x^{n+4}} {(n+1)(n+4)} , R = 1##

-My answer
##C + \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n \frac {x^{n+4}} {(n+1)(n+4)} , R = 1##

I've been trying to get the same answer as the book, but even if I shifted the index to start at 1, it would be ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^{n+1} \frac {x^{n+3}} {n(n+3)} \\ \text {or} \\ \sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^{n-1} \frac {x^{n+3}} {n(n+3)}##

I can't seem to find where I made a mistake. Can someone please help me? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't find a sign error and Wikipedia is also on our side: ##ln(1+x)=-\sum_{n\geq 0}\frac{(-x)^{n+1}}{n+1}## which I took for comparison to what the differentiation of the book's answer got me. So as long as I didn't fall into the same pit as you, the sign error is in the book. You could differentiate, too, just to be sure.

Likes uchuu-man chi

Related to Need help evaluating an improper integral as a power series.

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the limits of integration are infinite or the integrand is not defined at some points within the interval of integration.

2. How do you evaluate an improper integral as a power series?

To evaluate an improper integral as a power series, we first determine the interval of convergence and then use the power series expansion of the integrand to integrate it term by term.

3. What are the steps involved in evaluating an improper integral as a power series?

The steps involved in evaluating an improper integral as a power series are:
1. Determine the interval of convergence
2. Expand the integrand as a power series
3. Integrate the power series term by term
4. Evaluate the integral at the limits of integration
5. If necessary, apply the limit as the upper bound approaches infinity or negative infinity.

4. What are some common examples of improper integrals?

Some common examples of improper integrals include:
1. Integrals with infinite limits of integration
2. Integrals with discontinuous or unbounded integrands
3. Integrals with singularities within the interval of integration.

5. What are some techniques for evaluating improper integrals as power series?

Some techniques for evaluating improper integrals as power series include using the power series expansion of the integrand, using partial fractions, and using trigonometric substitutions. It is also important to understand the properties of power series, such as differentiation and integration, to effectively evaluate these types of integrals.