Integrating Trig Functions: How to Solve for the Integral of tan x sec2x?

In summary, the conversation includes discussion about finding the integral of tan x sec2x, with hints given using substitutions and identities. The final answer is found to be (1/2)sec^2(x) + c or (1/2)tan^2(x) + c, which are equivalent up to a constant.
hasan_researc

Homework Statement

What is the integral of tan x sec2x with respect to x?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea as to how I should proceed!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: [tex]tanxsec^2xdx=\frac{sinxdx}{cos^3x}[/tex]

How can that help? I have no idea!

Also, if we let u = tan x, then we get the limit of sin x as x tends to infinity, which is nonsense.

Another hint: sinxdx = d( ... )?

hasan_researc said:
How can that help? I have no idea!

Also, if we let u = tan x, then we get the limit of sin x as x tends to infinity, which is nonsense.
As you were told in another thread, the "indefinite" integral is just the anti-derivative. It has nothing to do with a limit at infinity.
To integrate
[tex]\int \frac{sin x}{cos^3 x} dx[/tex]
Let u= cos(x).

Even more direct: If u = tanx, du = sec2x dx. The indefinite integral has the form [itex]\int u du[/itex].

I don't understand what d(...) actually means. I guess it's a clever way of using calculus that I'm not familiar with. But I have used the substitution u = cos x as follows.

[tex]
u = \cos x & \Rightarrow du = - sin x dx \\
\int \frac{\sin x dx}{cos^{3} x} & = - \int\frac{1}{u^3} du \\
& = \frac{1}{2} u^{-2} + c \\
& = \frac{1}{2\cos^{2}x} + c
[/tex]

But if I use u = tanx I get the following.

[tex]
u = \tan x & \Rightarrow du = sec^{2} x dx \\
\int tan x sec^{2} x dx & = - \intu du \\
& = \frac{1}{2} u^{2} + c \\
& = \frac{tan^{2} x}{2} + c

[/tex]

The two answers are contradictory. Where's the problem?

Sorry I made a silly mistake in my Latex code. The correction is:

[tex]
\int tan x sec^{2} x dx & = \int u du \\
[/tex]

And I don't know how to break lines in my Latex code. Sorry for that!

hasan_researc said:
The two answers are contradictory. Where's the problem?
They're not contradictory. Use the identity tan2 x + 1 = sec2 x.

Ok, so

[tex]
\frac{1}{2}\sec^{2} x + c \\
& = \frac{1}{2}\tan^{2} x + \frac{1}{2} + c \\
[/tex]

Therefore, the constant of integration resulting from my math is 1/2 + c, whereas the constant of integration in the other result is c. Should we not be worried abt that? Or is it simply an effect of the use of different substitutions at the start of the problem?

If you get two different answers from an indefinite integral, they can differ by only a constant. (1/2)sec^2(x) and (1/2)tan^2(x) differ by a constant, which is what vela was saying.

Related to Integrating Trig Functions: How to Solve for the Integral of tan x sec2x?

1. What is integration of trigonometric functions?

Integration of trigonometric functions is a mathematical technique used to find the antiderivatives or integrals of trigonometric functions. It involves finding a function whose derivative is the given trigonometric function.

2. What is the process of integrating trigonometric functions?

The process of integrating trigonometric functions involves identifying the type of trigonometric function (such as sine, cosine, or tangent), using trigonometric identities to simplify the function, and then applying integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

3. What are some common integration formulas for trigonometric functions?

Some common integration formulas for trigonometric functions include integrating sine and cosine as well as tangent and secant functions. For example, the integral of sine is -cosine, and the integral of tangent is natural logarithm.

4. Why is integration of trigonometric functions useful?

Integration of trigonometric functions is useful in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, and structural design. It allows us to solve problems involving periodic functions and calculate areas, volumes, and other quantities.

5. What are some tips for integrating trigonometric functions?

Some tips for integrating trigonometric functions include using trigonometric identities to simplify the function, making appropriate substitutions, and being familiar with common integration formulas. Additionally, practicing and understanding the basic principles of integration can help in solving more complex problems involving trigonometric functions.