Integrating law of gravity into a parabola?

In summary: The law you need to use is the one that deals with the period of a planet orbiting the sun.In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of integrating the equation for acceleration, which is dependent on displacement, into the equation for displacement as a function of time. This would be a more complicated problem requiring knowledge of differential equations. The conversation also mentions using Kepler's laws to solve a similar problem in Classical Mechanics.
Chuckstabler

Homework Statement

Hey all, I've been learning some incredibly INCREDIBLY basic calculus on my own, so please take it easy on my stupidity.

So here's what I was wondering. In a 1 dimensional theoretical system, let the acceleration experienced by an object = A, with the signage +/- indicating the direction (forward or backwards, + or -) of the acceleration, seeing as this is a 1 dimensional system a +/- acceleration should suffice.

Integrating with respect to time, we find that v = (a*t) + c (constant of integration for velocity). Integrating again with respect to time we find that d (displacement) = (1/2at^2) + ct + di (initial displacement, or constant of integration). I will assume that the constant of integration for displacement will be 0, meaning that I am assuming that the initial starting distance can be assigned the coordinate of 0. We can further simplify the final displacement equation to be...

D = 1/2t(at + 2c)

When graphing this I put a (acceleration), c (initial velocity) as constants, and I get the typical parabola.

Here is my question: We all know that the force experienced by a body = G(m1*m2)/d^2, and that the acceleration experienced by a body = G*Mcentral/d^2. I was wondering, is it possible to somehow integrate this equation into the above equation so that the acceleration changes as a function of displacement? If so, (I am assuming it is possible), how can I go about doing so? Thanks for your time :).

I just realized that this may be considered a homework / schoolwork question , it's not for any homework or school work but it may fit into that category in any case, so I posted this here as well as general physics

Homework Equations

D = 1/2t(at + 2c)

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know where to start, I was just wondering if anybody could give some assistance. Thank you so much :)

Physics news on Phys.org
So let me see if I can decipher your question. You are used to integrating to solve for the displacement as a function of time in the case when the acceleration is constant. You are wondering if you can do it also when it is not constant, but depends on the displacement? If so, the answer is yes, but it is a more complicated problem which requires some more knowledge about differential equations that you would typically not learn in basic calculus.

We once had to do this problem in Classical Mechanics. In our case, we had to show that an object falling from some distance in space took 5/9 or the time to fall half the distance. We couldn't figure out how to change Newtons formula to one with a time in it.

It stumped everyone until a prof mentioned that you needed to use one of Kepler's laws to solve it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler's_laws_of_planetary_motion

Related to Integrating law of gravity into a parabola?

1. What is the law of gravity?

The law of gravity states that all objects with mass attract each other with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does the law of gravity relate to a parabola?

The path of an object under the influence of gravity is a parabola, as gravity pulls the object towards the center of the Earth, causing it to follow a curved trajectory.

3. Can the law of gravity be integrated into a parabola?

Yes, the law of gravity can be integrated into a parabola by using the equation of motion for a parabolic path, which takes into account the force of gravity acting on the object.

4. What is the significance of integrating the law of gravity into a parabola?

Integrating the law of gravity into a parabola allows us to accurately predict the path of objects under the influence of gravity, and is essential for understanding the motion of celestial bodies such as planets and satellites.

5. Are there any limitations to integrating the law of gravity into a parabola?

While the parabolic path is a good approximation for short distances and low velocities, it becomes less accurate for larger distances and higher velocities. Additionally, it only takes into account the force of gravity and does not consider other factors such as air resistance.