Integrating Factor Method Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution of a given differential equation involving trigonometric functions. The individual attempted to solve the problem by dividing everything by cosx and then integrating the resulting equation, but encountered difficulty simplifying the final answer. They received guidance on their mistake and were able to reach the correct solution.
bdh2991

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of the given differential equation cosxy'+(sinx)y=1

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided everything by cosx and got : y'+(tanx)y=secx

then after doing e to the integral of tanx i got : ∫d/dx[secx*y]=∫secx

after integrating and simplifying i got y= ln|secx+tanx|/secx + Ccosx

the answer in the book is y= sinx + Ccosx

the weakest part of my math is simplifying (or algebra) what did i do wrong or what do i need to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you multiplied by the integrating factor, you forgot to do it to the righthand side of the equation.

Related to Integrating Factor Method Problem

1. What is the Integrating Factor Method?

The Integrating Factor Method is a technique used to solve first-order differential equations that are not in the form of a separable equation. It involves multiplying both sides of the equation by an integrating factor, which helps to simplify and solve the differential equation.

2. When should the Integrating Factor Method be used?

The Integrating Factor Method should be used when the differential equation is not in the form of a separable equation and other methods, such as separation of variables or substitution, cannot be applied. It is particularly useful for solving linear differential equations.

3. How do you find the integrating factor for a differential equation?

The integrating factor for a differential equation can be found by multiplying both sides of the equation by a suitable function that makes the equation integrable. This function is often represented by the letter "μ" and is equal to e∫P(x)dx, where P(x) is the coefficient of the y' term in the differential equation.

4. What are the steps to solve a differential equation using the Integrating Factor Method?

The steps to solve a differential equation using the Integrating Factor Method are as follows:1. Identify the coefficient of the y' term in the differential equation.2. Find the integrating factor by calculating e∫P(x)dx.3. Multiply both sides of the equation by the integrating factor.4. Use the product rule to simplify the left side of the equation.5. Integrate both sides of the equation.6. Solve for y by dividing both sides of the equation by the integrating factor.7. Simplify the solution, if necessary.

5. Can the Integrating Factor Method be used for all types of differential equations?

No, the Integrating Factor Method is only applicable to first-order differential equations that are not in the form of a separable equation. It is most commonly used for linear differential equations, but can also be used for certain non-linear equations with specific forms.