Integrating Factor Method: Finding the Solution to a Cosine Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution to the equation cos(x)y' + ysin(x) = 1 using the integrating factor method. The conversation also covers the importance of having the equation in the form y' + p(x)y = q(x) and the need to consider the domain of the solutions. The final solution is y(x) = sin(x) + Ccos(x).
_N3WTON_

Homework Statement

Find the general solution to the indicated equation:
[itex] cos(x)y' + ysin(x) = 1 [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] e^\int p(x)\,dx * y(x) = int\ f(x)\, dx e^\intp(x)\,dx + C [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I am having trouble getting started with this problem because I am not really sure what value to assign to p(x). I attempted to assign p(x) = sin(x) therefore u(x) = e^cosx. However, I do not believe that e^cosx can be integrated without using some advanced techniques, so I am quite sure I am not doing the problem correctly.
Edit: when I say e^cosx cannot be integrated I mean not in terms of elementary functions
Edit: Sorry about the bad Latex equations, I am attempting to sort it out (I have never used it before)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
_N3WTON_ said:

Homework Statement

Find the general solution to the indicated equation:
[itex] cos(x)y' + ysin(x) = 1 [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] e^\(int p(x))\,dx * y(x) = int\ f(x)\, dxe^\intp(x)\,dx + C [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I am having trouble getting started with this problem because I am not really sure what value to assign to p(x). I attempted to assign p(x) = sin(x) therefore u(x) = e^cosx. However, I do not believe that e^cosx can be integrated without using some advanced techniques, so I am quite sure I am not doing the problem correctly.
Edit: when I say e^cosx cannot be integrated I mean not in terms of elementary functions
Edit: Sorry about the bad Latex equations, I am attempting to sort it out (I have never used it before)

To calculate the integrating factor your equation needs to be in the form$$y' + p(x)y = q(x)$$So you need to start by dividing your equation through by ##\cos x## before trying to evaluate the integrating factor.

LCKurtz said:
To calculate the integrating factor your equation needs to be in the form$$y' + p(x)y = q(x)$$So you need to start by dividing your equation through by ##\cos x## before trying to evaluate the integrating factor.
thank you, so then the equation would become:
[itex] y' + ytan(x) = sec(x) [/itex] and
[itex] p(x) = tan(x) [/itex]
right?

_N3WTON_ said:
thank you, so then the equation would become:
[itex] y' + ytan(x) = sec(x) [/itex] and
[itex] p(x) = tan(x) [/itex]
right?

Yes. The integrating factor of [itex]e^{\int \tan x \,dx}[/itex] should now work as advertised. :) Just be sure to note whether the points for which cos(x) = 0 are to be included in the domain of the solutions.

slider142 said:
Yes. The integrating factor of [itex]e^{\int \tan x \,dx}[/itex] should now work as advertised. :) Just be sure to note whether the points for which cos(x) = 0 are to be included in the domain of the solutions.

Edit: I mean can [itex] e^{sec^2x} * secx [/itex] be integrated? Because that is what I'll end up with no?

_N3WTON_ said:
Edit: I mean can [itex] e^{sec^2x} * secx [/itex] be integrated? Because that is what I'll end up with no?

sec2(x) is not an integral of tan(x). Remember we need to find a function that has tan(x) as its derivative. Try writing tan(x) as [itex]\frac{\sin x}{\cos x}[/itex].

Likes 1 person
slider142 said:
sec2(x) is not an integral of tan(x). Remember we need to find a function that has tan(x) as its derivative. Try writing tan(x) as [itex]\frac{\sin x}{\cos x}[/itex].
ahh...thanks, sorry about the silly mistake

ok, for my final answer I am getting:
[itex] y(x) = sin(x) + \frac {C}{sec(x)} [/itex]

_N3WTON_ said:
ok, for my final answer I am getting:
[itex] y(x) = sin(x) + \frac {C}{sec(x)} [/itex]

That looks fine. However, it may be preferable to write the solution as [itex]y(x) = \sin x + C\cos x[/itex], since both this function and the original differential equation is defined for all x, while your function is not defined for some of the values of x for which the original differential equation is defined. :)

slider142 said:
That looks fine. However, it may be preferable to write the solution as [itex]y(x) = \sin x + C\cos x[/itex], since both this function and the original differential equation is defined for all x, while your function is not defined for some of the values of x for which the original differential equation is defined. :)
thanks again, I'll do that

Related to Integrating Factor Method: Finding the Solution to a Cosine Equation

1. What is the Integrating Factor Method?

The Integrating Factor Method is a technique used in solving differential equations. It involves multiplying both sides of the equation by a special function, known as the integrating factor, to make the equation easier to solve.

2. How does the Integrating Factor Method work?

The Integrating Factor Method works by identifying a differential equation that can be written in the form dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x). The integrating factor, e∫P(x)dx, is then multiplied to both sides of the equation, simplifying it to d/dx(e∫P(x)dxy) = e∫P(x)dxQ(x). From here, it is easier to solve for y by integrating both sides.

3. When is the Integrating Factor Method used?

The Integrating Factor Method is used when solving first-order linear ordinary differential equations, which are equations that involve one variable, its first derivative, and coefficients that are functions of the variable. It is also used when the standard methods of solving differential equations, such as separation of variables and substitution, are not applicable.

4. What are the advantages of using the Integrating Factor Method?

The Integrating Factor Method allows for the solution of a wider range of differential equations compared to other methods. It also simplifies the process of solving these equations by reducing them to a simpler form. Additionally, it can be used to solve both homogeneous and non-homogeneous equations.

5. Are there any limitations to the Integrating Factor Method?

While the Integrating Factor Method is a powerful tool for solving differential equations, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for first-order linear ordinary differential equations, and it becomes more complicated for higher-order equations. Additionally, finding the correct integrating factor can sometimes be a challenging task.