Integrating exponent to get delta function

In summary, the conversation discusses two methods for computing the integral of e^{-ikx} and addresses a mistake in the second method that is corrected by changing the integration limits.
tamiry
Something i ran into while doing hw

Homework Statement

starting with
[tex]\int{dx} e^{-ikx}\delta(x) = 1[/tex]
we conclude by Fourier theory that
[tex]\int{dk} e^{+ikx} = \delta(x)[/tex]
Now, i try to compute
[tex]\int{dk} e^{-ikx}[/tex]

(I've dropped the normalization factors of [tex]2\pi[/tex]. I believe no harm is done by that)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Method 1: change x to -x
[tex]\int{dk} e^{-ikx} = \int{dk} e^{+ik(-x)} = \delta(-x) = \delta(x)[/tex]

Method 2: change the integration parameter k to -k
[tex]\int{dk} e^{-ikx} = -\int{dk} e^{+ikx} = -\delta(x)[/tex]

So what did I do wrong here?

thanks a lot
T

Physics news on Phys.org
I looked at it again. At my second method. I had to change the integral limits as well, and that fixes it.

Related to Integrating exponent to get delta function

What is the definition of a delta function?

The delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical function that is zero everywhere except at x=0, where it is infinite.

How is the delta function related to the integration of exponents?

The delta function can be obtained by integrating the exponential function, specifically by taking the limit of the integral as the upper and lower bounds approach 0.

What is the significance of the delta function in mathematics?

The delta function is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. It represents a point mass or impulse and is useful for modeling phenomena such as point charges, point sources of light, and instantaneous forces.

What is the relationship between the delta function and the Dirac delta function?

The delta function and the Dirac delta function are often used interchangeably, but technically they are different. The Dirac delta function is a generalized function that can be thought of as the limit of a sequence of delta functions, and it has more rigorous mathematical properties.

How is the delta function used in practical applications?

The delta function is used to simplify mathematical calculations and to model real-world phenomena. It is also used in solving differential equations and in the Fourier transform, which is a tool for analyzing signals and systems.