Is this analytically solvable?

• Thread starter Poirot
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about trying to solve integrals of the form ## \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{k}{k-1} e^{itk^2}e^{ikx}e^{-(k-k_0)^2/\alpha^2} dk ## and ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k-1} e^{itk^2}e^{ikx}e^{-(k-k_0)^2/\alpha^2} dk##, which are relevant to creating an animation in Mathematica. The main integral is ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi_k(x)
Poirot

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve integrals of the form:
## \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{k}{k-1} e^{itk^2}e^{ikx}e^{-(k-k_0)^2/\alpha^2} dk \\
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k-1} e^{itk^2}e^{ikx}e^{-(k-k_0)^2/\alpha^2} dk ##

A bit of background:
I'm trying to create an animation in Mathematica to show a gaussian wave packet passing through a delta potential. The fractions at the start of the integrals come from the transmission and reflection coeffecients such that
##\phi_k(x) = \left\{
\begin{array}{ll}
e^{ikx} + R_k e^{-ikx} & \quad x < 0 \\
T_k e^{ikx} & \quad x > 0
\end{array}
\right.##
so Rk and Tk are the fractions at the start then we multiply the phi(x) by a time dependent part and then the gaussian part and integrate for the linear superposition.

Homework Equations

The overall integral is
##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi_k(x) e^{-(k-k_0)^2/\alpha^2} e^{-i\hbar k^2 t/2m} dk \\
R_k =\frac{1}{\frac{\hbar^2ik}{sm} -1} \\
T_k =\frac{1}{1-\frac{sm}{\hbar^2ik}} ##

where s is the strength of the delta potential such that:

##
V(x) = s\delta(x) ##
and I've set virtually every constant to 1 (except k0 and alpha which I plan to toggle once I get something).
3. The Attempt at a Solution
I'm told these integrals should be possible analytically but I can't see how. I've also tried using mathematica to compute it but it's having trouble with the function not converging on the interval. I've tried using NIntegrate too but I think the fact there's factors of x and t in the integrand is causing issues when trying to get a numerical approximation.

It might be worth mentioning that I've managed to solve the integral for the the e^(ikx) part for x<0 using completing the square but I can't see how to do it with the fraction.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that Mathematica can calculate
FourierTransform[ Exp[I t k^2] Exp[-(k - k0)^2/\[Alpha]^2] , k, x]
and
FourierTransform[k/(k - 1) , k, x]
but it chokes on the whole thing.
Maybe you can do something with the convolution theorem to combine them?

Poirot said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve integrals of the form:
## \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{k}{k-1} e^{itk^2}e^{ikx}e^{-(k-k_0)^2/\alpha^2} dk \\
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k-1} e^{itk^2}e^{ikx}e^{-(k-k_0)^2/\alpha^2} dk ##

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I'm told these integrals should be possible analytically but I can't see how. I've also tried using mathematica to compute it but it's having trouble with the function not converging on the interval. I've tried using NIntegrate too but I think the fact there's factors of x and t in the integrand is causing issues when trying to get a numerical approximation.

It might be worth mentioning that I've managed to solve the integral for the the e^(ikx) part for x<0 using completing the square but I can't see how to do it with the fraction.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Let ##f(k) = \exp(i t k^2 + i x k - (k-k_0)^2/ \alpha^2)##. If you can get ##\int_{\mathbb{R}} f(k) \, dk## and ##\int_{\mathbb{R}} k f /(k-1) \, dk##, then you an get ##\int_{\mathbb{R}} f/(k-1) \, dk## because ##1/(k-1) = (1-k + k)/(k-1) = k/(k-1) - 1.##

Last edited:

Related to Is this analytically solvable?

1. What does it mean for a problem to be analytically solvable?

Being analytically solvable means that a problem can be solved using mathematical expressions and equations, without the need for numerical methods or approximations.

2. How can I tell if a problem is analytically solvable?

A problem is typically considered analytically solvable if it can be broken down into smaller, simpler parts that can be solved using known mathematical methods and techniques.

3. What are some examples of problems that are analytically solvable?

Some common examples of problems that are analytically solvable include polynomial equations, differential equations, and geometric proofs.

4. Can all problems be solved analytically?

No, not all problems can be solved analytically. Some problems may be too complex or have unknown variables that cannot be expressed using mathematical expressions and equations.

5. What is the benefit of solving a problem analytically?

The benefit of solving a problem analytically is that it provides a precise and exact solution, rather than an approximation. This can be useful in many fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.