Integrating dz/(z^2+2z/x): Step-by-Step Guide and Troubleshooting Tips

• Thread starter Math10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
The correct form should be A/z + B/(z + 2/x) = dz/(z^2 + 2z/x).In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for integrating dz/(z^2+2z/x), including using partial fractions and completing the square. The key takeaway is that the problem has simple poles at z=0 and -2/x, and the correct form for integration is A/z + B/(z + 2/x) = dz/(z^2 + 2z/x).
Math10

Homework Statement

How to integrate dz/(z^2+2z/x)?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did partial fractions but it doesn't seem to work.
A/z+B/(z+2/x)=1

Physics news on Phys.org
Try completing the square!

The thing to do for partial fractions would be to solve:
1/(z^2+2z/x) = 1 / z(z+2/x) = A/z+B/(z+2/x)
for A and B, and then it can be integrated to logs.

Or, you can complete the square and you're left with an integral that yields a hyperbolic trig solution which can be expressed in terms of logs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_function

The interesting thing about this problem is that it has simple poles at z=0 and -2/x.
So you get log absolute values when integrating 1/z at negative z...,
and there are corresponding domain restrictions on the validity of the hyperbolic trig solution.
When you take care, you can arrive at the two methods yielding the same solution over their common domain of validity: z=(-2/x,0) (assuming x>0).

Math10 said:
I did partial fractions but it doesn't seem to work.
A/z+B/(z+2/x)=1
That would be because the righthand side shouldn't be equal to 1.

Related to Integrating dz/(z^2+2z/x): Step-by-Step Guide and Troubleshooting Tips

1. How do I determine the appropriate integration method?

The appropriate integration method depends on the type of function being integrated. Some common methods include the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, and Gaussian quadrature. It is important to consider factors such as the smoothness and complexity of the function before choosing a method.

2. How do I handle improper integrals?

Improper integrals occur when the limits of integration are infinite or when the function being integrated is undefined at certain points. These integrals can be evaluated using techniques such as limits and integration by parts. It is important to carefully consider the properties of an improper integral before attempting to evaluate it.

3. What is the purpose of integration?

Integration is a fundamental concept in mathematics that allows us to find the area under a curve, calculate volumes and areas of irregular shapes, and solve differential equations. It is also used in many real-world applications such as physics, economics, and engineering.

4. How do I check the accuracy of my integration?

The accuracy of an integration can be checked by comparing the results obtained from different methods or by using known analytical solutions. One can also vary the number of intervals or subintervals used in the integration to see how it affects the accuracy of the result.

5. Can integration be performed on non-continuous functions?

No, integration requires the function to be continuous over the interval being integrated. If a function is not continuous, it can be broken into smaller, continuous intervals and then integrated individually. Alternatively, one can use numerical methods such as the Monte Carlo method to approximate the integral of a non-continuous function.